RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I've got one of these on order, a black BR liveried one, I think. I had some fancy notion about it being sold out of service to run on the South Polden Light Railway, into Bleakhouse Road, but I've no idea if that will ever get enacted. I'm just a sucker for all that gesticulating valve gear, especially on a small loco like that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've got one of these on order, a black BR liveried one, I think. I had some fancy notion about it being sold out of service to run on the South Polden Light Railway, into Bleakhouse Road, but I've no idea if that will ever get enacted. I'm just a sucker for all that gesticulating valve gear, especially on a small loco like that.

The one from Meldon Quarry is the one you are talking about yer Lordshipness. 1964 mate and it gesticulated all the way to Templecombinations whence it ran out of puff and was put on Shed, right at the back in a cobwebby corner, to be forgotten for some time due to it being very ugly indeed. However, the friendly Lord of Bleakhouse Manor got to hear about it and made the Foreman an offer he could not refuse and thus 'the black yanky one', as it had become known, was towed off to Bleakhouse Road sidings by Evening Star, just before the S & DJR main line was closed for ever.

I heard that in the Snug at the pub by the level crossing at Chard Junction one dark and calm night in July 1966, just before the Gerries got well and truly #### on by my boys and I had to go back to work on the building site in Plymuff.

Hugh E. Fibber

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Whilst searching for an LMS coach today, I found a bunch of ex GWR coaches (Comet) that I 'inherited' after Geoff Brewin's sad death and had sort of forgotten about.  Very smart they are too but, of course, in maroon or blood and custard and I shall need a very strong BRWR loco to haul them. Mixed feelings seeing these as they came out of their wrappings.

I found some very nice BRMR ones as well and I shall also need another very strong BRWR loco to haul those. I'll shut up now.

Philth.

• RMweb Gold

If the Finchings see that they will swoon and the RAF chap will have to administer first aid. Unsure if the swoon will be because of amazement or pure horror.

B. Obama.

Or the Yanks who haven't gone home.....

• RMweb Gold

How does the USA tank compare size wise to a 15xx?

David

I discussed this some time back with a gentleman from 'Model Rail' and he confirmed what I thought was the case - not much use at all as the axle spacings are quite different (the 15XX is 6ft4"+ 6ft6", the USA is 5ft + 5ft)

Humph ! Before ya know it there'll be chewing gum all over those shiny platforms and silk stockings hanging out to dry off that lovely bridge !!!

W.Rigley

• RMweb Gold

Rumour has it the Finchings have been seen practising their 'Jitterbugging'in the back garden and listening to Glenn Miller and his orchestra. They also recently greeted the vicar in the High street with a loud 'Howdy partner!'before trying to lassoo him.

Their request for chewing tobacco at the newsagents was not well received and they were required to leave Miss Twicenightly's tea rooms after repeatedly shouting Godamn and discharging their service revolvers into the ceiling.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rumour has it the Finchings have been seen practising their 'Jitterbugging'in the back garden and listening to Glenn Miller and his orchestra. They also recently greeted the vicar in the High street with a loud 'Howdy partner!'before trying to lassoo him.

Their request for chewing tobacco at the newsagents was not well received and they were required to leave Miss Twicenightly's tea rooms after repeatedly shouting Godamn and discharging their service revolvers into the ceiling.

Rob.

I haven't discharged my service revolver into a ceiling for over 50 years.

Ar$e

Like I said previously,this is the one I'd order but this actual model is Sierd's.A great service from Model Rail/Kernow and what a superb model.I've done a full shoot as an exclusive to here as you're such loyal chaps.

attachicon.gifDSCN9151.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9154.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9157.jpg

Great model, all the details are there: 3 domes, lots of squared corners and an outsize cab. I think the BR version in lined malachite is the best looking.

Perhaps I should have a rethink on the USA Tanks ... Hmmm, powerful, functional, utilitarian ... but still ugly. A Q1 looks positively pretty in comparison.

It's Southern-ish, but I'll happily cope without one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great model, all the details are there: 3 domes, lots of squared corners and an outsize cab. I think the BR version in lined malachite is the best looking.

Perhaps I should have a rethink on the USA Tanks ... Hmmm, powerful, functional, utilitarian ... but still ugly. A Q1 looks positively pretty in comparison.

It's Southern-ish, but I'll happily cope without one.

I don't know whether you'd weather one........

Like I said previously,this is the one I'd order but this actual model is Sierd's.A great service from Model Rail/Kernow and what a superb model.I've done a full shoot as an exclusive to here as you're such loyal chaps.

attachicon.gifDSCN9151.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9154.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9157.jpg

One of those engines that's so ugly it's attractive!  Like very much.  Could never justify one, but like it.