A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Anyone on here treating themselves to the Hornby Gresley Collection at £500 a pop for four locos.

I note from the weekly kernow email that they've split the sets (as they also did with the silver jubilee set). Wonder which will be remaindered in a few months time?

I believe next year is the 100th anniversary of Sir Nigel Greeley shooting a brace of Woodcock at the Doncaster works Boxing Day shoot. To commemorate this land mark event, Hornby will be releasing the "Game Bird" collection of A4s featuring those critters bagged by the Gresley Gun. Sold in an exclusive shot gun styled box, Hornby expect that every Railway modeller will be leaping at the chance for yet another spurious tie in the an obscure anniversary.

David

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed. I remember how they went to town for the GWR 175th anniversary....

Just like everyone else the whole year was flat unlike GWR 150 now that was something else even BR Woking of all places put on fantastic event.  :yahoo:

Anyone on here treating themselves to the Hornby Gresley Collection at £500 a pop for four locos.

No (well, not for all four anyway), Hornby has done the P2 to death (four similar versions of No.2001 so far); the A3 is in too short-lived a condition to be tempting; the A1 has had two iterations already, but I am slightly tempted by it; however the A4 is a definite want as it is the first time the current model has appeared in LNER green.

Glenn - SR modeller-ish!

• RMweb Gold

No (well, not for all four anyway), Hornby has done the P2 to death (four similar versions of No.2001 so far); the A3 is in too short-lived a condition to be tempting; the A1 has had two iterations already, but I am slightly tempted by it; however the A4 is a definite want as it is the first time the current model has appeared in LNER green.

Glenn - SR modeller-ish!

Dip your bread young man.

post-126-0-81166600-1479489329.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd rather toast it in the firebox ! :)

Mind you, I do like a warm bit of crumpet personally in the cold months

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

M.Pride

Ooh, nostalgia time. We used to toast them on a one-bar electric fire, which was propped up on its back in our student flat.

L. Fansafe-Tee.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, nostalgia time. We used to toast them on a one-bar electric fire, which was propped up on its back in our student flat.

L. Fansafe-Tee.

I wonder if Mr Warburton has any he could share? I don't think he has been scared away by those new-fangled signals so he should still be there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just realised that I should have made some sort of comment about soft, warm crumpet, usually but not necessarily in the evening. However I missed  that opportunity so I'll shut up.

Ar$e

Afternoon delight?

• RMweb Gold

I've just had a couple of crumpets - very nice too (Tesco version, the Warburtons ones are awful).  Also I might pop down the town later and have a nice wurst from the 'Christmas' market.

Yes indeed. I remember how they went to town for the GWR 175th anniversary....

Ah, GW 175, nothing much:  but GW150+6 did produce a nice little - very little if I'm blunt - earner for my share (being the contribution of a chapter to a 'coffee table' book) while GW150 had involved lots of hard work and, er, 'fun'  (Dainton ain't arf steep when you have to walk up it, even a short length of it).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Mr Warburton has any he could share? I don't think he has been scared away by those new-fangled signals so he should still be there.

Mr W is fine but needs an extra warm overcoat in this chilly weather.I wonder what's in his manbag...

post-126-0-94193200-1479567291.jpg

• Like 12

A very nice young lady who lived and worked in Munchen introduced me to the delights of currywurst and chips for breakfast.

My spell checker wanted Munchen to be changed to Munchies.

Its not wrong.

There was a young lady of Munchen

Who invited me home for some luncheon .....

That sounds like an oxymoron, but isnt. My favourite is Bratwurst. The world needs less brats so it's win-win. Yep, I know it's not made of real brats, but one can dream.....

For me, a mid-morning Weißwurst.  Just the thing after a night on the Doppelbock Dunkel.

While making the tea

She suggested to me

What I might like to do with my truncheon!

Ta-dah!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That sounds like an oxymoron, but isnt. My favourite is Bratwurst. The world needs less brats so it's win-win. Yep, I know it's not made of real brats, but one can dream.....

I have just consumed a very nice bratwurst, mit senf - delectable.  But far too many brats about so it definitely can't be made of them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm interested because the cynic in me notices that Hornby seem to always get the LNER shade of green right on their models.

'Those in the know' may be aware that the Captain does actually own one functioning (ex-) LNER loco in 'front line' service, namely the ex-J72 now properly and quite rightly sold into NCB service:

post-57-0-28459000-1479572072.jpg

What is probably not known is that the Captain actually owns a second J72, which was also sold out of service by BR and eventually bought by the fledgling Herefordshire Railway Society, for use at their site at Lower Vowchurch in the 1980s. Sadly once the boiler ticket ran out, she fell out of use and is currently not in working order, unlike the NCB example, which ended up with a new chassis and a sensible gearbox etc.

There are plans to return the green one to operational use, and a replacement chassis was obtained some years ago. When this is eventually achieved, the loco may end up being used on the South Polden Light Railway in Somerset:

post-57-0-00189900-1479572225.jpg

post-57-0-42676700-1479572233.jpg

You are all sworn to secrecy, however, as I can't have it getting out that I actually employ motive power once used on the LNER, it wouldn't be right or proper.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 10