A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Serious question. Why have you stopped going to the SVR Rob?

It is probably my favourite amongst the preserved lines, and always gets a visit or two when I am in the UK. Lady 45568 also enjoys it there, especially lunch at the Harbour Inn at Arley.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I think they've banned him due to his demands for stopping the locos, swapping the stock and asking to take photographs as he does here ! :)

Yours

K. O. Dak

• RMweb Gold

It is probably my favourite amongst the preserved lines, and always gets a visit or two when I am in the UK. Lady 45568 also enjoys it there, especially lunch at the Harbour Inn at Arley.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

The Santa Specials and now the children have all grown up its an unnecessary expense.

The Santa Specials and now the children have all grown up its an unnecessary expense.

Thanks Rob... so the SVR hasn't done anything to upset you per se, just the reason for visiting at this time of year has gone!  Quite understand.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

"I say, I say, I say! My dustbin's absolutely full of toadstools!" "How d'you know it's full?" "'Cos there's not mushroom inside!"

That reminds me of my last workplace where i was treated like a mushroom.Kept in the dark and fed !

• RMweb Gold

Lovely......I think that is one that will be winging its way to the Pacific.

Edited to add: though on reflection I am inclined to agree with you about the gap round the number plate......on the bright side I think I am renumbering mine

John

Edited by john dew

• RMweb Gold

The weathered Hatton's 14/48xx is now available to see, thanks to Mr York's photos.This is the wartime black version.

attachicon.gifpost-1-0-09726700-1478888596.jpg

My wheel obsession : I like the dimpled axle ends but don't like the spoke profile at the hub or the wide rims. It spoils the illusion.

• RMweb Gold

My wheel obsession : I like the dimpled axle ends but don't like the spoke profile at the hub or the wide rims. It spoils the illusion.[/quote

It was so easy to replace the Airfix wheels with these old MGW versions, though the rear wheels are still Airfix. Obviously it needs renumbering but, hey, no gap. I wonder if DJM wheels are as amenable to surgery.

post-21027-0-97097500-1478944478_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hate to to a nit-picker but I shall anyway!

You have to be careful with 48xx/14xx locos, did they carry the number with the insignia for starters. The 48xx were renumbered in 1946, so carrying anything other than GWR/BR insignia would be unlikely after that date.

Did the loco have a topfeed?

Was it auto fitted?

Most of this can be achieved by following a photo of your prototype loco, now have they corrected the most obvious visual failings of the original Airfix model namely the smokebox door and chimney?

By the way 4807/1407 seems to have spent most of its life at Reading. 4802/1402 was a Gloucester engine.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Gold

I see the grove around the number plate on the 14xx are still very noticeable and will it have the same problems of stalling on dead frogs like many of the DJM models @ £99 a pop I think I'll let others find that out.  :dontknow:

N. O. Tinpressed  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You have to be careful with 48xx/14xx locos, did they carry the number with the insignia for starters. The 48xx were renumbered in 1946, so carrying anything other than GWR/BR insignia would be unlikely after that date.

Was it auto fitted?

Most of this can be achieved by following a photo of your prototype loco, now have they corrected the most obvious visual failings of the original Airfix model namely the smokebox door and chimney?

By the way 4807 seems to have spent most of its life at Reading. 1402 was a Gloucester engine.

I shall be renumbering this, as I said. I need to find a photo of one shedded at Westbury- though I suspect none were!

• RMweb Gold

Was it auto fitted?

By the way 4807/1407 seems to have spent most of its life at Reading. 4802/1402 was a Gloucester engine.

According to this site http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=102260&type=S&loco=1407 it was 1948 !

• RMweb Gold

Was it auto fitted?

All the 48xx's were auto-fitted it's the 58xx's which did not have the fitment.

Noel 

Edited by 81C