A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Intriguingly, the photo of Barton Hall also has a handwritten inscription citing the involvement of the "Uranium Oil Company".

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/hall-class-locomotive-no-4905-barton-hall-august-1947/print/10560225.html

Andy.

I've looked at this photo a few times now, and every time I look at it I want to model a hall with a shed on the front...

Just need photos of the top and the back.

I assume the top was fully open, but did it have ends on the back closing it up to the side of the smokebox. Or was it just a u shape?

Best thing about adding a shed to a Hornby Hall? No need to worry about fixing mounded on steam pipes!

• RMweb Premium

Sadly showing up the awful shade of green on the latter, as it always does when you put something in the right green next to hornbys shade.

I really must learn to line properly so I can redo my kings and castles....

Funny you should say that, because my Tintagel doesn't look anything in the flesh like it does in the photo, and I also think Tintagel is a much better GW green (though still not perfect) than Hornby's latest version.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I assume the top was fully open, but did it have ends on the back closing it up to the side of the smokebox. Or was it just a u shape?

You may be surprised to hear that the purpose of the "shed" was to protect a technician who rode on the running plate, presumably forward of the smokebox - hence the forward looking portholes! I kid you not......

http://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/engines-tested.html

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

You may be surprised to hear that the purpose of the "shed" was to protect a technician who rode on the running plate, presumably forward of the smokebox - hence the forward looking portholes! I kid you not......

http://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/engines-tested.html

Andy.

Very interesting link, particularly the photo of the original equipment inside the dyno car (that is also on the like to have one day list...)

• RMweb Premium

The shed was an indicator shelter, open at the back, and needing to be close to the cylinders. The technician used a piece of kit which was capable of drawing a small graph, the horizontal axis was linked mechanically to the piston stroke, reduced down of course, the vertical axis was a measurement of the steam pressure in the cylinder. At the start of the stroke pressure high, end of stroke low, but the point the valves cut off and steam allowed to expand could be clearly seen, with any problems such as how the steam was exhausting out. The area inside the loop which was traced out related to the work being produced in the cylinder. Diagrams were taken in succession on the journey, and used in conjunction with more graphs from the dynamometer car, which was measuring the pull the engine was exerting on the train drawbar, also speed with a trace of the journey, mileposts being noted, so as gradients could also be fed in. There was usually another guy on the footplate logging the rate at which coal was going in, as coal was usually bagged for tests.

Having said all that if lube oil was being looked at maybe they were interested in cylinder temperatures without producing indicator diagrams, but then why have a dynamometer car?http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/indicator/Indicator1.htmhttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_volume_diagram#/media/File%3AIndicator_diagram_steam_admission.svg

Edited by Northroader

Hello Mark et al,

Well done on the superb repaint of Kirby Hall, a great credit to your skills.

John's post makes reference to a photo of 4903 Ashley Hall attached to a tender bearing the "GWR" logo. The tender appears to be flush riveted and of 3000 or 3500 capacity. It is not the Collett 4000 gallon unit that was most commonly attached to the Halls after the war.

The matter of GWR postwar liveries has attracted a lot of discussion on RMWeb of late and I'll chip in my 'two penneth' for what it's worth. I'd love to hear the thoughts of Mike ("Coach Bogie") and "Castle" amongst others. I am NO expert and am happy to stand corrected.

Whilst digging around this subject I unearthed this on Steam Picture Library. It shows a Collett 4000 gallon tender, unattached to a loco and wearing the G-crest-W livery. It appears to be black. What is really interesting is the handwritten endorsement at the top of the print "New writing for named engines. Neg E5/117 20.2.45". 

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/4000-gallon-locomotive-tender-showing-new-lettering/print/10560223.html

Presumably this reflects a change in livery policy and was intended to guide the Paint Shop henceforth?

In practise, the Paint Shop seems to have adhered to this livery policy broadly but with quite a few exceptions. For example, the 47xx class were not named engines at any time in their life though at least one was attached to a tender bearing the "G-crest-W" livery in the postwar period. Similarly, 5955 ​Garth Hall was converted to oil burning and outshopped from Swindon in June 1946 bearing the "GWR" livery that the company clearly intended for un-named engines!

5955 Garth Hall is not a typical Hall of the time and was only attached to the 3,500 gallon tender for a short while. The tender conversion was intended for a 48XX (Ex 28XX) oil fired Churchward goods. The Intended 4,000 gallon tender was not quite ready and the publicity department had a job to do. Also 5955 kept its' original number and was not renumbered until later when the 4000 gallon tender appears to have been attached at the same time.

I have not seen the image of 4903. If the shot is away from Swindon, tender swaps at sheds could be the reason. Post nationalisation a lined black Hall with an unlined green tender was not uncommon as Sheds would attach tenders as required to get engines back in traffic.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Guest 7007GreatWestern

5955 Garth Hall is not a typical Hall of the time .... and the publicity department had a job to do. 

Mike Wiltshire

Hello Mike,

The GWR it seems were indeed keen to exploit the publicity of the oil firing programme. I have before me a rather wonderful old document - a faded and fragile copy of the GWR's house magazine dated September 1946 and priced at 6d! In it is an account of Garth Hall's inaugural run complete with photographs. Mr. Frederick Hawksworth and Viscount Portal are shewn in attendance. A guest observer was present on the footplate, a Mr. Maxwell Taylor of the BBC who later broadcast an account of his trip.

If anyone is interested there is a film on YouTube showing the GWR oil burners in operation. It is very much of its era, but priceless all the same. The film is called "Britain Can Make It" which, given current circumstances, seems as pertinent as ever.....  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jApwuq11g

Andy.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Several of Dad's photos of Halls in the 1950s don't seem to show any tender markings. It might be the light or dirt of course. This one by his friend Michael Brown is an example.

post-14351-0-03216500-1485389928_thumb.jpg

and here is a slightly earlier one

post-14351-0-87879400-1485390416_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Are you taking anything of Pencarrow to the Gnosall show Chris ?

I'm not taking anything Rob - the show falls on a weekend that I'm not free. The original concept came about as a way of getting Treneglos a show but that's not to be. It would have been great to see it in the  company of some of our other creations.

• RMweb Premium

Several of the photos of Halls in the 1950s don't seem to show any tender markings. It might be the light or dirt of course. This one by his friend Michael Brown is an example.

attachicon.gifGWR 460 5988 Bostock Hall Swindon 11 9 1954 M Brown.jpg

and here is a slightly earlier one

attachicon.gif5953 Dunley Hall at Hereford 13 8 49.jpg

I'm always losing shirtbuttons, why should the GWR be different?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The naughty corner is already occupied Muz.

Room for two he can sit on your lap.  :jester:

C.O Rapal-Banishment

I'm guessing that LMS pink tender might be off of an interchange trials locomotive thing(not sure)

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Room for two he can sit on your lap.  :jester:

C.O Rapal-Banishment

I'm guessing that LMS pink tender might be off of an interchange trials locomotive thing(not sure)

Are you going? No I'm Stanier !

• Like 2