A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Love these old pictures of the way we were.  Both men and women going to the beach in day to day outfits, no jeans or tee shirts,  Kid with spade ready, ready to go to the beach and with what appears to be a Vauxhall Victor near the cinema, late fifties.  Not so many cars as there would be later especially with the gates up as there would have been considerable traffic passing over the crossing even in those days at this spot..

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Love these old pictures of the way we were.  Both men and women going to the beach in day to day outfits, no jeans or tee shirts,  Kid with spade ready, ready to go to the beach and with what appears to be a Vauxhall Victor near the cinema, late fifties.  Not so many cars as there would be later especially with the gates up as there would have been considerable traffic passing over the crossing even in those days at this spot..

Brian.

Are the two front right wearing jeans??

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the cast iron sign with "Great" painted out so that it reads "Western Railway".

Absolutely - that was typical of painting on the WR in the 1950s and '60s and was even done on some quite large signs with cast letters although in some cases on those the 'Great' was removed and the scars were left.  The fact that the sign has been painted like that helps indicate that it's BR 'chocolate & cream' painting and as usual both have faded plus I think there's a slight red cast in the photo (Kodachrome?).

Edit to correct the blasted  autocorrect, grr

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Top marks David.

There was also a model of a King in a glass case. Camera refused to photograph that...

You need to buy a decent camera then, so that you can take photos of class engineering. I can't remember seeing it the last time I was there, about 4 years ago.

• RMweb Premium

You need to buy a decent camera then, so that you can take photos of class engineering. I can't remember seeing it the last time I was there, about 4 years ago.

That's why it drew my attention, I recalled folk saying it had gone. I can definitely report it's still on Platform 3.

• RMweb Premium

Top marks David.

There was also a model of a King in a glass case. Camera refused to photograph that...

Is that the one that used to work if you put a coin in the slot? I don't remember how much, but it was definitely more than one (old) penny.

• Like 1

I know where it is but do you know where it was before it was moved to where it now is?

Somewhere near the end of the pier on this map is where it should have been but I've no idea if it ever was there.

post-9751-0-54426100-1516119765_thumb.jpg

Not many clues from this aerial shot that the place ever had much importance apart from the stump of a pier and the avenue of trees marking the railway alignment.

post-9751-0-85884100-1516120155.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing new here but I'm totally lost this afternoon.

Never mind we'll be disembarking from the ferry on arrival at Portskewett Pier in few moments and catching a train from South Wales back to Brent shortly afterwards.

Edited by cary hill