RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I did purchase possibly the last set of Dean 8'6" bogies from 247 a couple of years ago and I was told that the man who did their bogie castings was seriously ill at the time and obviously his health being more important than bits of trains they weren't about to be asking when they could expect any more and once the stock was gone, it could possibly be the last. Sadly it seems that is the case with everything being listed as out of stock. 

Cast bogies were great for low centre of gravity and provided that you drilled them and fitted brass bearings and pinpoint axles before assembly, all was well. Very well in fact. Problems arise when you get something that doesn't have bearings and is assembled. There's a spring loaded device for drilling out axleboxes in situ to fit bearings, the potential disaster comes when trying to spring in a pinpoint wheelset. Better to dismantle one side of the bogie frame if possible.

On a similar note, does anyone know where I might get similar early GWR bogies from? I've resorted to cutting and shutting some Hornby clerestory 10'0" bogies but it's not ideal. 

Possibly Comet Models parts at MSE.

Assembled bogies. If white metal, just cut one side off and then resolder it after doing the holes.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ref the set of 6 Coaches I linked. Let's say they are OK (and they do look OK if you CBA to enlarge the pic, or you actually go to the Auction because you live within reasonable distance) and you really fancied them, even if the Bogies would need replacement or adaptation. Would you cost it and say maybe nobody will want them, so I'll bid £60 but maybe got to £75 max; (+ 30% + say £30 postage)? £120, if your initial bid wins, sounds a lot, however you have 6 nicely painted coaches at £20 each. What's the probable cost of one of the new Coaches? 

Beats trying to build 6 Kits and paint them to a fair standard. 

Auctions can be a bit of a gamble, but recently I've picked up stuff for almost nowt, however I did fancy the items!

P

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

On 02/12/2022 at 11:00, Oldddudders said:

I see very little chance of them not selling like the proverbial hotcakes. Distinctive coaches never modelled before, in GWR livery, to 2023 standards, will appeal to all GWR modellers, many of whom are rather less concerned about era and location than the cognoscenti on here. How long have the ex-Tri-ang clerestories been selling, despite being a poor caricature of the prototype? These are a certain money-spinner. 

I would suggest not all modellers. There are many of us who have been making their own for years. I have no use for any more D56 which has been available from three different kit manufacturers.  Similar situation with the K22 produced as a kit by five different outfits. I will not be replacing just because a new rtr version has come along. I will buy a couple of C32 as I have two unbuilt kits on the shelf which will now be used for spares. no point wasting time I could use building GWR coaches not likely to be covered such as the 70ft stock..

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ref the set of 6 Coaches I linked. Let's say they are OK (and they do look OK if you CBA to enlarge the pic, or you actually go to the Auction because you live within reasonable distance) and you really fancied them, even if the Bogies would need replacement or adaptation. Would you cost it and say maybe nobody will want them, so I'll bid £60 but maybe got to £75 max; (+ 30% + say £30 postage)? £120, if your initial bid wins, sounds a lot, however you have 6 nicely painted coaches at £20 each. What's the probable cost of one of the new Coaches? 

Beats trying to build 6 Kits and paint them to a fair standard. 

Auctions can be a bit of a gamble, but recently I've picked up stuff for almost nowt, however I did fancy the items!

P

Then you post them on to me to test run and take some photos.😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Then you post them on to me to test run and take some photos.😉

Not these items that 'I fancied' Rob! Sorry. They are the wrong shape and all sorts of weird colours.

I just collect Standard Class 5s!

P

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not these items that 'I fancied' Rob! Sorry. They are the wrong shape and all sorts of weird colours.

I just collect Standard Class 5s!

P

But not Standard 4’s…4-6-0 or 2-6-0. They didn’t get beyond Yeovil Jct …normally.I remember Salisbury as being a great place for the 2-6-0 variant.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The train of lights passing Goodrington Sands this evening.

0831F95F-5318-4811-8D8F-F97E28481421.jpeg.e1a15dbb0f6e2cf849ff1c6ea727f31e.jpeg

That looks really exciting for the Grockles.

On that Auction site around Lot 600 are a load of Larry Goddard Kit builds; some are GWR. Just sayin'

I'd missed them. Please do not bid on the two Maroon WR Hawksworths.

P

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But not Standard 4’s…4-6-0 or 2-6-0. They didn’t get beyond Yeovil Jct …normally. I remember Salisbury as being a great place for the 2-6-0 variant.

Agreed. Rarely seen and I only have maybe one photo.

Exmouth Junction had a couple of 4s in 1965 I think it was?

A 2.6.0 (76018 I think it was), took an Inspector's Saloon down to the Meldon Line; it came down from/returned to  Yeovil with that Coach. 64 I think that was without checking.

P

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/12/2022 at 22:28, Mallard60022 said:

Doesn't say but there is a load of other GWR stuff on there. 30% plus in  house postage isn't bad for an Auction House. Sometimes Kit Builds go for silly low prices.

P

thanks for sharing.  Some very nice stuff but I can’t help but look at some of these lots and wonder whose pride and joy they were and what layouts they operated on.  I’m assuming the original owner have mostly gone to the great railway room in the sky.

david 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2022 at 18:54, Ian Hargrave said:

But not Standard 4’s…4-6-0 or 2-6-0. They didn’t get beyond Yeovil Jct …normally.I remember Salisbury as being a great place for the 2-6-0 variant.

Seldom on passenger workings at any rate, but I remember seeing them reasonably often at Axminster on goods turns originating from Salisbury and points West thereof.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/12/2022 at 20:52, Clearwater said:

thanks for sharing.  Some very nice stuff but I can’t help but look at some of these lots and wonder whose pride and joy they were and what layouts they operated on.  I’m assuming the original owner have mostly gone to the great railway room in the sky.

david 

Almost certainly and my thoughts are let's ensure they live on, and rather like some of our late friends' items, ensure they raise good funds for the 'estate'. If nor deceased, then just ensure they are used and enjoyed by a like-minded, new owner.

I'd certainly want as much of my stuff as possible to be enjoyed by others.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 1

On 03/12/2022 at 16:38, MrWolf said:

I did purchase possibly the last set of Dean 8'6" bogies from 247 a couple of years ago and I was told that the man who did their bogie castings was seriously ill at the time and obviously his health being more important than bits of trains they weren't about to be asking when they could expect any more and once the stock was gone, it could possibly be the last. Sadly it seems that is the case with everything being listed as out of stock. 

Cast bogies were great for low centre of gravity and provided that you drilled them and fitted brass bearings and pinpoint axles before assembly, all was well. Very well in fact. Problems arise when you get something that doesn't have bearings and is assembled. There's a spring loaded device for drilling out axleboxes in situ to fit bearings, the potential disaster comes when trying to spring in a pinpoint wheelset. Better to dismantle one side of the bogie frame if possible.

On a similar note, does anyone know where I might get similar early GWR bogies from? I've resorted to cutting and shutting some Hornby clerestory 10'0" bogies but it's not ideal. 

Hi @MrWolf. I can recommend the Dean bogies on Shapeways (a 3d print bureau), as they come in a variety of sizes and also with or without footboards. I believe they are listed by Stafford Road Model Works on Shapeways. 

However, post-Brexit Shapeways seems to have become very expensive. I picked up my Dean bogies for about £15-20 a pair (inc postage costs) 3-4 years ago. Now I think they’re a lot more than that unfortunately. 

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Hi @MrWolf. I can recommend the Dean bogies on Shapeways (a 3d print bureau), as they come in a variety of sizes and also with or without footboards. 

However, post-Brexit Shapeways seems to have become very expensive. I picked up my Dean bogies for about £20 a pair 3-4 years ago. Now I think they’re nearer £40 a pair! 

Cheers, 

CoY

Ouch! That's a bit of a step up from 247's whitemetal ones at £10 a pair! At least I know something is available even if it's a last resort.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not wanting to pour cold water on things, but @Harlequin posted about the SRMW bullion van on my thread recently, and wasn't impressed with the quality of the printing.  It would be good to hear from someone who has tried out the printed bogies?

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Robin, that's good to know.  Perhaps Phil just got a dodgy print?

Possibly… Or maybe I chose the wrong material (not that there’s much choice).

IMG_20221125_122102.jpg.8174638903f40a66958d9a66effc8ad7.jpg

That’s  a closeup of the roof, the bogie and the body that I got.

Texture like sand paper and horrible steps.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I'm away from home at the mo, so cannot access my PC files, but I have two sets of the Shapeways Dean bogies from a few years ago for my Clifton Downs Ratio kit bash and they are pretty good prints, much better than some K's white metal ones I have and once fitted with bearings and wheels ran sweetly through facing points. However, the price seems to have skyrocketed now, as I paid 6€50 per bogie some three years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Possibly… Or maybe I chose the wrong material (not that there’s much choice).

IMG_20221125_122102.jpg.8174638903f40a66958d9a66effc8ad7.jpg

That’s  a closeup of the roof, the bogie and the body that I got.

Texture like sand paper and horrible steps.

That bogie reminds me of the sleepers made from recycled plastic. Or the old fashioned rubber dustbin lids. 

Hopefully it's a problem that's been solved now. €6.50 each (if the link is still current) is a reasonable price for the bogies. £40 a pair, I'd have to pass.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/12/2022 at 19:23, gwrrob said:

The train of lights passing Goodrington Sands this evening.

0831F95F-5318-4811-8D8F-F97E28481421.jpeg.e1a15dbb0f6e2cf849ff1c6ea727f31e.jpeg

I missed that by about 2 minutes on Saturday, saw it in the distance as we came down Clennon Valley... hey ho... better luck next time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That bogie reminds me of the sleepers made from recycled plastic. Or the old fashioned rubber dustbin lids. 

Hopefully it's a problem that's been solved now. €6.50 each (if the link is still current) is a reasonable price for the bogies. £40 a pair, I'd have to pass.

The bogie was an "upgrade" to Black Natural Versatile Plastic, costing £9.71 each. The Shapeways site says: "3D printed nylon plastic with a matte finish and slight grainy feel". They're not wrong!

Anyone with access to some decent engineering drawings, a bit of CAD skill and a cheap home printer could do something 10 times better than that for 1/10th the cost.

I'd love to have a go at some 8ft 6in bogies for everyone if I could find the drawings because I need some myself to rescue an old Siphon.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 7