Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

"Ere, sort me ahrt geeza!"

No, absolutely not. Were Hornby trying to present the service department as a couple of old blokes in brown smocks who will have it fixed before they finish smoking that Woodbine? Major repairs involved rummaging through dusty pigeon holes in the back room before producing a NOS component still in the remains of War Department wrappings? 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"Ere, sort me ahrt geeza!"

No, absolutely not. Were Hornby trying to present the service department as a couple of old blokes in brown smocks who will have it fixed before they finish smoking that Woodbine? Major repairs involved rummaging through dusty pigeon holes in the back room before producing a NOS component still in the remains of War Department wrappings? 

That sounds like a two Ronnie’s sketch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

28 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Four candles?

Don't start that one, I still feel (vaguely) guilty that I managed to convince someone in an message regarding an exercise that it was to be held on a Scottish island named  Far Cawl, until I told him to say it out loud a couple of times.

• Funny 9

On 26/01/2023 at 20:38, Dunsignalling said:

The adaptors used to couple British Standard gangways to the Pullman type attached to the BS ones. Many SR bogie luggage vans carried them almost permanently fitted to the old LSWR gangways they inherited along with their underframes because they mainly worked with Maunsell and Bulleid stock.

IIRC the Maunsell brakes for inter-region working only had BS Gangways on the van ends and the sets they enclosed were "normal" in all other respects.

John

I'm away so haven't got my books to hand to check but I think a few Maunsell brakes had BS gangways both ends but the majority, as you say, only had them at the brake end. 

Chris KT 

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, chris45lsw said:

I'm away so haven't got my books to hand to check but I think a few Maunsell brakes had BS gangways both ends but the majority, as you say, only had them at the brake end. 

Chris KT 

Incidentally the SR Gangwayed Bogie Luggage Vans ('GBL') had, at the time, new BS gangways as their second hand LSWR underframes came from non-gangwayed stock whose bodies were used to create suburban EMUs on new underframes.

Chris KT

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

20 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

If you're not a geezer, they probably won't help you.

Fine for the Kiwis, then, but I would have thought travelling expenses for them would outweigh the advantages! Or am I ending up in hot water!

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
wrong word

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Third on the left - you can't miss it. You'd better not!

Hence the cleaner’s sign “We aim to please, you please to aim.”

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

I can’t see what the two screws do either ( yup I’ve undone them) as it doesn’t seem to secure the ‘floor’.

The models ok, but I’m not sure I’d have paid over £40 for it and bearing in mind the RRP is something like…..£47!

Still by the time I’ve tarted it up I think it will pass muster.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks to @BlackRat for the photo of the new Hornby Loriot, any thoughts chaps especially on the floor colouring choice.

749544714_hornbyloriot.jpeg.64f16fc93ffa7fa6760ca9bbc8c1a380.jpeg

1343111646_hornbyloriot.jpega.jpeg.f5f19618b5540fba13d62278a33d4ced.jpeg

Freshly machined Keruing is that colour, quickly goes a silver grey if untreated. It was certainly being used in the floors of lorry bodies by the 1930s.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1