A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 1466 said:

For 2 years , one of these woke me up at 06.00 . The gentle murmur of warming water was much less stressful than an alarm . 

That would worry me as I'd wonder if I'd had an accident...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

8 hours ago, John Besley said:

That would worry me as I'd wonder if I'd had an accident...

I’m 78 and had a TURP 8 years ago , so it’s a real possibility these days . At the time I was in  mid twenties.

Thanks for a belly laugh .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi everyone I'm still popping in from time to time enjoying the modelling and conversations on this thread. I'm sitting here having my third round of chemotherapy. My lovely wife has surprised me and ordered a new GWR Class 64XX GWR Green (GWR) 0-6-0 Pannier Tank No.6414. 😉

You will enjoy that Kevin. Mine run as sweet as sweet can be. I'm no expert on the detail but they look like 64XXs to me.

STB

Phil.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

..Mine run as sweet as sweet can be.....

Not Robin Sweet then? 

😉

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

They certainly do. Photo courtesy of the Accurascale Facebook page.

1559700719_mymanors.jpg.016adf99a5b6efe9a39976dc4b963379.jpg

876858066_mymanors.jpga.jpg.4838ef83e43a442d72ca1f713f5061c7.jpg

Arriving by airfreight - that must be a first... everything normally comes on a "slow boat from China" 

Possibly May for a Manor 😎 That'll do very nicely thank you.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Arriving by airfreight - that must be a first... everything normally comes on a "slow boat from China" 

Extra expense, maybe someone would know the price difference and a hit AS are seemingly happy to take to keep the customer satisfied.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Extra expense, maybe someone would know the price difference and a hit AS are seemingly happy to take to keep the customer satisfied.

Maybe going the extra mile like that, means they can announce batch 2 quicker, which could mean deposits paid quicker etc. Better for business cash flow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Maybe going the extra mile like that, means they can announce batch 2 quicker, which could mean deposits paid quicker etc. Better for business cash flow.

Generally air is 10-15x boat in terms of cost, and we're actually moving to a 'no money down' preorder system at the moment....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi everyone I'm still popping in from time to time enjoying the modelling and conversations on this thread. I'm sitting here having my third round of chemotherapy. My lovely wife has surprised me and ordered a new GWR Class 64XX GWR Green (GWR) 0-6-0 Pannier Tank No.6414. 😉

Great to hear from you,Kevin and wonderful that you’re keeping your spirits up. Greetings from a cold & wet Glasgow 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Great to hear from you,Kevin and wonderful that you’re keeping your spirits up. Greetings from a cold & wet Glasgow 

Thanks Ian I'm trying my best in between being nauseous.👍

• Friendly/supportive 12

10 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hang in there. As I said to a good friend when coming out of hospital after a particularly unpleasant event - I decided to stick around because if nothing else it will annoy the hell out of several people.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 09/03/2023 at 12:08, MrWolf said:

A lot of the frames are listed as scrapped, fair enough, many are duplicates, but as we don't have the means in this country to make frames anymore, and scrap steel isn't worth much compared to the cost of making a frame, they might have been worth storing for possible future use.

ISTR the cab from the 9F just sitting outside in a yard up the road from the goods shed in Barry town.

We do have the means to create new frames. Tornado, Prince of Wales, beachy head, the Grange and 47xx are just a few of the recent builds. It would almost certainly be cheaper to build new than to repair in the unlikely event they were needed.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Rapido have announced a new 7 plank coal wagon in the Renwick Wilton livery.

A bit early for us tho - it’s in 1909 as built condition:

https://hmrs.org.uk/-acg917--renwick-wilton--torquay--12t-7-plank-s-e--521--op--r3l-torquay---dartmouth--spoked-wheels--ssdbk-.html

Dobson had entered the business by our time and the livery would likely have received some kind of update by 1947, otherwise it would be very worn/faded.

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, BenL said:

https://hmrs.org.uk/-acg917--renwick-wilton--torquay--12t-7-plank-s-e--521--op--r3l-torquay---dartmouth--spoked-wheels--ssdbk-.html

Dobson had entered the business by our time and the livery would likely have received some kind update by 1947, otherwise it would be very worn/faded.

Spoilsport.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BenL said:

Dobson had entered the business by our time and the livery would likely have received some kind of update by 1947, otherwise it would be very worn/faded.

Might be ok for @checkrailon Stoke Courtenay though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Might be ok for @checkrailon Stoke Courtenay though.

Maybe, but perhaps a little too old even for the 30s?  I have 4 black Renwick Wiltons (2 x Powsides kits, 2 x Bachmann) and 2 dark red Renwick, Wilton & Dobsons (Bachmann).  I don't know the dates of changes to the company or its wagons.  But full marks to Rapido. I'll definitely get something Welsh to go into my coal empties train.

Was great to hear about these, and about the many variants of the Minks and opens to come.  Aren't we lucky (and won't we be broke?).

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Nothing new for us from Accurascale with an 0-6-0 that's not suitable for this thread. @NHY 581 and others are very happy though.

I think a combination of lack of sleep and the Backjumper have made him delirious. There's probably foaming and dribble too. 

• Informative/Useful 1