RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Greetings all. Hope Rob won't mind this question. I think Capn K took some summer-time photos some years ago, of Devon around Brent for a Backscene for Rob? Did I imagine this?

Phil 

No you didn't Phil and splendid photos they were too that Art Printers turned into my backscene.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

No you didn't Phil and splendid photos they were too that Art Printers turned into my backscene.

Ah that's brilliant. I thought that was the case. I have an ulterior motive and that is about the colours. You know it's the 60s for my layout and of course yours is 47 and 57. However, apart from crop types and modern fittings, I'm after Trees, foliage, grasses and similar for July/August. Were they taken around then can you remember Rob?

I have some book pics in colour by the likes of Ivo P and Co and all those Trees and things up here of course, BUT there is a deffo Devon Look.

Thanks matey. Maybe if CK sees this he might tell us the secrets of his phots.

I have a local Printer that would do me Photo scenes.

Phi 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More Siphons ordered by this SR modeller; it's your fault Rob! In truth I do love a 'GWR brown vehicle' for a bit of variety.

I placed my order with Accurascale and received 10% discount on each plus free postage. Existing pre-order with Box-Shifter cancelled.

Glenn

2-BIL or not 2-BIL?, that is a question (I don't get out much)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Here you go. More siphon action anon.

DSCN8968.JPG.e9b625c02b90bddfcc89f01998cdc644.JPG

It's a bit of Noah's Ark - 2 GWR, 2 LNER, 2 SR 😆

One company is missing, can't put my finger on it...

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Will you be able to bring yourself to add any grime to your new siphons? - I took mine out of the box and hastily put it back before I got thumb prints on it. They are almost too beautiful.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Will you be able to bring yourself to add any grime to your new siphons? - I took mine out of the box and hastily put it back before I got thumb prints on it. They are almost too beautiful.

Andy

Some weathering is probably going to be essential, IMHO. Specifically:

The axlebox covers, which really stand out like little pinpricks of light!

Weathering will do a lot to calm them down but, personally, I'm not convinced by the almost eggshell blue on these in the first place. There are colour photos showing a similar colour but there are other photos showing a richer blue. (E.g. on Penrhos). None of these colour photos are from the period and so, as always, questions of colour are almost impossible to pin down.

The bolts holding the covers on (yes, there are very well defined nuts and bolts on these models if you get your magnifying glass out!) should probably be dark rusty grime, not blue - I don't think the bolts were ever painted. That will be a challenge!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Andy

They really are.. I'm running mine, but the thought of even adding some grime to the very white roof terrified me.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

The bolts holding the covers on (yes, there are very well defined nuts and bolts on these models if you get your magnifying glass out!) should probably be dark rusty grime, not blue - I don't think the bolts were ever painted. That will be a challenge!

Sounds like a job for the Optivisor and a cat's whisker !

Good luck and hopefully mine will be along soon.

Here kitty cat, come to Daddy . . .

Edited by longchap
  • Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob

Milk tankers...crying out for some modern-day quality models!

Lots of diagrams to choose from - off-centre ladder, twin tank, 2000-gallon, sloping tank and not forgetting the 6-wheel Milk Tank Trucks with Road Tanker Trailer load. Some will make more (commercial) sense than others and still provide the modeller with the variety that is often so true of the prototype.

Brian

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

If anyone wants any more Rapido GWR iron minks and 4-plankers, then check out the current sale on at Hattons. They’ve a load of them available with about 30% off. 

Some Dapol Moguls & Manors at decent prices too. 

My wallet can’t take any more punishment as we’ve just had a big birthday in the family! Oh dear. 

• Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

If anyone wants any more Rapido GWR iron minks and 4-plankers, then check out the current sale on at Hattons. They’ve a load of them available with about 30% off. 

Some Dapol Moguls & Manors at decent prices too. 

My wallet can’t take any more punishment as we’ve just had a big birthday in the family! Oh dear. 

@#$%!!

• Funny 6

Agree. The Bygone Dyson wagons are outstanding value for money. I also recommend the grain and Loriot. I am curious why 247 are producing the top for a propellor wagon when the complete wagon has been available from Bygone for some time.

Mike Wiltshire

20230525_154254.jpg.15671ca9387c5b57e95893920d08c85b.jpg20230525_154237.jpg.fed2299a4518cc81a017ba018ef4b479.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Agree. The Bygone Dyson wagons are outstanding value for money. I also recommend the grain and Loriot. I am curious why 247 are producing the top for a propellor wagon when the complete wagon has been available from Bygone for some time.

Mike Wiltshire

20230525_154254.jpg.15671ca9387c5b57e95893920d08c85b.jpg20230525_154237.jpg.fed2299a4518cc81a017ba018ef4b479.jpg

I've got a DD4 Cordon waiting to be finished and I'm eagerly awaiting the Insixfish...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I've got a DD4 Cordon waiting to be finished and I'm eagerly awaiting the Insixfish...

When I first saw photos of the Cordon on their website they looked awful to me - both the photos (dark & out of focus) and the big ugly 3D print stepping! So I was not convinced.

Similarly, people say that Shapeways prints are great whereas the ones I've bought have graining the size of rivet heads all over and thus seem to be unfit for purpose.

Maybe it's just me? 😉

So, I'd be very interested to see some brutal close-up photos of the Cordon before you've fettled it very much, if you're willing, John! That could be very informative for a lot of us.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

When I first saw photos of the Cordon on their website they looked awful to me - both the photos (dark & out of focus) and the big ugly 3D print stepping! So I was not convinced.

Similarly, people say that Shapeways prints are great whereas the ones I've bought have graining the size of rivet heads all over and thus seem to be unfit for purpose.

Maybe it's just me? 😉

So, I'd be very interested to see some brutal close-up photos of the Cordon before you've fettled it very much, if you're willing, John! That could be very informative for a lot of us.

Sure. I'll take some brutal close-ups and some from the mythical "normal viewing distance". You'll see them on the Mid-Cornwall Lines topic in due course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Can anyone help regarding the wheels on these Rapido products?

Most RTR which I've tested (Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol) are non-ferrous wheels on steel axles. They are fine with my style of Kadee uncoupling magnets but I've found to my pain that Alan Gisbon axles have steel rimmed wheels and these definitely like my uncoupling magnets far too much.

Could someone test the Rapido wheel rims for me, please?  Can't really risk buying if they end up being steel, I've got enough kits to swap out already 😒  (steel axles don't give me undue problems)

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Friendly/supportive 4