A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

On 26/04/2023 at 17:44, gwrrob said:

Having seen this example of their palbrick sent to @Jenny EmilyI’m definitely holding fire. Shocking.

375009C9-6C1F-468F-AF36-E16421323477.jpeg.faea2bd9c4219a775df2ef746110af64.jpeg

Having just read the thread, I'm feeling very uneasy with this project atm.

KR Models are going to have do a brilliant job if they want my earnings for the the MICAs...

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2023 at 17:44, gwrrob said:

Having seen this example of their palbrick sent to @Jenny EmilyI’m definitely holding fire. Shocking.

375009C9-6C1F-468F-AF36-E16421323477.jpeg.faea2bd9c4219a775df2ef746110af64.jpeg

Did the factory follow the colour coding on the CAD literally?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

I said the very same on the thread itself. 

Utter rubbish.

Rob

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Having just read the thread, I'm feeling very uneasy with this project atm.

KR Models are going to have do a brilliant job if they want my earnings for the the MICAs...

The CADs for the MIca look awful and yet they are already in production, apparently.

There’s not much point taking those guys seriously. Just wait for someone else to do the Mica properly.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Having read the blurb for the Micas I found it to contain far too many of the sort of phrases and descriptives that you find in those Sunday supplement glossy adverts for once in a lifetime classic collectors heirloom pieces available in four easy instalments. 

I'm afraid that sort of thing puts me on an alert footing straight away.

https://krmodels.net/product/gwr-mica-b/

I think that I will be sticking with my usual methods of building a wagon fleet.

As for the the pink wheels, maybe the factory was also busy with a batch of Barbie roller skates and there was a mixup in the assembly shop?

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The CADs for the MIca look awful and yet they are already in production, apparently.

There’s not much point taking those guys seriously. Just wait for someone else to do the Mica properly.

There's a very good, and easy-to-build plastic kit for the X7 Mica available from Parkside-Peco. 

Simpler and quicker than attempting to fix the r-t-r one, and less than half the cost.

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

There's a very good, and easy-to-build plastic kit for the X7 Mica available from Parkside-Peco. 

Simpler and quicker than attempting to fix the r-t-r one, and less than half the cost.

John

Indeed.

" I think that I will be sticking with my usual methods of building a wagon fleet."

I saw a Parkside Mica built up on the Little Muddle thread and with careful attention to details (as those who visit the thread will be well aware / in awe of.) It makes an excellent looking model.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

51 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Indeed.

" I think that I will be sticking with my usual methods of building a wagon fleet."

I saw a Parkside Mica built up on the Little Muddle thread and with careful attention to details (as those who visit the thread will be well aware / in awe of.) It makes an excellent looking model.

I have a Parkside Mica in the kits box…. Not in a hurry to build, but having seen how good @KNP is at Little Muddle, it sets the bar high.

You won’t be seeing a KR models one at Henley-on-Thames.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thankfully I have one of this stashed away for a future build.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I am intrigued to see just how many errors on the CAD come through to production, there were some howlers.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Painting the place GREEN is good though... COYG's.

Happy Duck here.

P

@BenL is happy too and I’ll see you at the CBS Arena next season. PUSB !

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

@BenL is happy too and I’ll see you at the CBS Arena next season. PUSB !

I certainly am thanks Robin, a perfect League 1 double as an ITFC fan and the son of a Pilgrim, my late dad would have enjoyed today ☺️

We might miss you if you end up winning the playoffs Robin! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2023 at 17:54, 57xx said:

What the factory did is in some respects irrelevant because it was down to KR to approve both the livery sample and the production sample before agreeing the production run.  And then of course when these Barbiesque abortions arrived in the UK it was up to KR to reject them and get them replaced by something which matched their spec.  The fact that KR seemingly did none of those things, including very obviously not inspecting the wagons delivered by the factory, shows up a naively amateurish approach to their business.   

Thank goodness the Mica is too early for me so I have no need to worry about them making a mess of it,.  They made a hash of the Fell, they have incorrectly described 'Bellerophon' by claiming that it has 'working valvegear' when some of that valvegear is a one piece plastic moulding, they  can't even get the wheels the right colour on a wagon, the 4DD has got an incorrect roof profile,and even the Leader has an error in the bodyside.  And the standard of some of the written stuff they put out would have got the person responsible sacked for illiteracy from the 'Beano'.  

Thank goodness for the proper companies and let's not forget that even Hornby have managed some extremely good wagons over more recent years.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 29/04/2023 at 13:00, gwrrob said:

@toboldlygo of this parish is well too modest to post his efforts at building that Mica kit.

micaB_04.jpg.7e2e524b2609a31f51cd4a15f33fe157.jpg.bfe1cb440ef9eb0f9de209d8fc7620f8.jpg

micaB_07.jpg.e355e908be06cc2564045e66a8682319.jpg.1f067f6c36af4bf101ebe4f0c54d0bd1.jpg

That is how you would expect the RTR version to look, given the pidgin English blurb I posted earlier.

But somehow I think that target will be missed by a potato field....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

If Robin will forgive it I am asked by the local charity that runs the preserved Romsey Signal Box if anyone can recommend a suitable small camera system for mounting on their developing 4mm system to play back live model drivers eye footage of signals etc as their trains trundle around. I have tried looking for a likely topic on RMweb but cannot see one so thought this forum would have people who might be able to advise.

Once again apologies for bursting in with such questions. Please PM me if you can help.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2023 at 18:03, Ian Hargrave said:

Just come up on YouTube: “Back Along The Kingsbridge Line ( 49:48 ) by Aarchive Films

Talking of videos and new member @Dartside Scenics has some excellent scenic videos online. I'm hoping he posts a layout thread as he's building quite a project.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 03/05/2023 at 03:03, Ian Hargrave said:

Just come up on YouTube: “Back Along The Kingsbridge Line ( 49:48 ) by Aarchive Films

Thx, from a quick peek it looks like there's lots here which will be useful in my William Clarke inspired build and location. The close ups of the stations' details are brilliant.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1