RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Important safety advice - Don't Lick the TOAD's as they are poisonous...

Yes but you'll get to do colourful things with your pixie friends

😁

Edited by Tim Dubya
apparently
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I cut up an old Airfix toad to provide the planked end door on my Oxfords. The Airfix underframes went to my father who used them for generic Victorian coaches, long before Hattons and Hornby came along. Note how different the GWR Grey colour is between the two producers.

Mike Wiltshire

AA1.jpg.846c666bb1607a82257470bf3e71fe59.jpg

All the main wagons colours I have seen from Oxford have been too light, as well as their GWR grey, both the LNER oxide and grey were both too light or my liking.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 57xx said:

All the main wagons colours I have seen from Oxford have been too light, as well as their GWR grey, both the LNER oxide and grey were both too light or my liking.

And all of my GWR and LNER examples have been subsequently repainted...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Yes but you'll get to do colourful things with your pixie friends

😁

We don't need lysergic amphibians or any other mind altering substances for that sort of thing to happen around here...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

An observation on the couplings as raised by @BenL a while back. Very frustrating the amount of stand out. Mine were a very tight fit and took a while to prise out. The couplings on this model are different [one piece]  to other wagons in the range but there is hope and a bit of surgery on the replacement X 6354 socket I use to enable the use of Hunt's. Of course using three links would be a better option but a lot of people like tension locks. There's no escaping the fact they look hideous on this model though. I'll modify a socket and let you know the outcome.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

They have verandahs at different ends. Is there a prize for spotting this?

Nice to hear from you chum. Have you seen this new book release ?

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/from-the-camel-to-the-exe?_kx=lB0FVjDHgb868E55fY08Yv-AVljR2-iv9Zn9Fz_whmb_JpZKlgZgs5qHMP8CzlH7.W8PRYx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

One is designed for east bound trains, the other for west bound.

Don't ask what happens if the trains needs to go north or south.

Edited by 57xx
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Now that looks interesting, will have to have a flick through at a show. Hopefully it's a new photographer's collection and not a rehash of the usual images. Fingers crossed.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hopefully it's a new photographer's collection and not a rehash of the usual images.

If you get to copy before I do would you mind giving a heads up?  I was about to grab a copy on autopilot but stopped incase the images had been published before.  I understand the book is a collection of photos by several photographers.

"Terry Gough, Gerald Daniels, Dick Riley and many others whose photographic collections have passed into the safe keeping of the Transport Treasury fortunately recorded scenes from Padstow to Exeter on film."

cheers 👍

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

7 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Now that looks interesting, will have to have a flick through at a show. Hopefully it's a new photographer's collection and not a rehash of the usual images. Fingers crossed.

Oi ! Thought you were too busy enjoying yourself with a large ram in your hand ? 

Rob

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

If you get to copy before I do would you mind giving a heads up?  I was about to grab a copy on autopilot but stopped incase the images had been published before.  I understand the book is a collection of photos by several photographers.

"Terry Gough, Gerald Daniels, Dick Riley and many others whose photographic collections have passed into the safe keeping of the Transport Treasury fortunately recorded scenes from Padstow to Exeter on film."

cheers 👍

My copy arrived today .

I’m no expert - can’t say whether the photos are”new” or not - but I’m pleased . The reproduction of the b/w photos is good and they are well composed . There is much of interest to me ( I lean to the GWR) and a pleasant surprise is a section on T9 s  .

In my opinion , it’s very good value .

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3