A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

I know we've discussed this several times before (Moguls, Manors etc), but I'm lacking pics of Churchward 3500g tenders in G W R lettering style. Was the W normally placed to the rear of the line of rivets above the centre axle?

3500g-tender-gwr-placing.png.888461795e2c1a5a2029c31d28d0bb63.png

Yes, to the rear - will see if I can find some pics when back with my books!

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

That one is on gwr.org's tender page, and exactly why I want to see more!

Have you got access to David Maidment's book, "Great Western Eight-coupled Heavy Freight Locos"? (I thought that would be a good place to look...)

There are a number of images of 28XX and 38XX locos, mostly oil-burning conversions (so in fact 48XXs) in the "GWR" livery. Some 3000 gal tenders, some 3500gal I think (I'm not an expert tender-spotter).

All appear to have the W placed behind the central rivet line.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

That one is on gwr.org's tender page, and exactly why I want to see more!

Only Swindon original print I have down here of that period. Printed images I have of 6320 (also oil fired) is the same. It might be the same tender as 5955 only ran with the small tender for a short time as the 4000 gallon was not ready for the PR photos.

7303 and 3451 Pelican both had the W to the rear of the rivet centre line. However there is a well known colour shot of 7816 Frilsham Manor, in the 1960's where the W was forward of the centre rivets. As the shot was taken at Swindon possible at the time of withdrawal, it is unclear if it ran with this tender or it was attached for moving purposes.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Have you got access to David Maidment's book, "Great Western Eight-coupled Heavy Freight Locos"? (I thought that would be a good place to look...)

There are a number of images of 28XX and 38XX locos, mostly oil-burning conversions (so in fact 48XXs) in the "GWR" livery. Some 3000 gal tenders, some 3500gal I think (I'm not an expert tender-spotter).

All appear to have the W placed behind the central rivet line.

Several clear shots in Great Western Pictorial no 2 Hubback collection particularly pages 13 (2864), 25(3865) and 47(3818) confirming W to rear.

By way of contrast, a Dick Riley image of 3201 has the W in inline with the centre axlebox on a flush sided tender.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

B4 they go on Sales I have two pukka Baccy Halls in GWR Livery that need a good long term free loan home. 

4955 with Small Tender and 4936 with Large Tender. No costs, just need to loan them out as I don't need them ...Rob? Anyone?

PM and I'll send pics (oh er misses). Both DCC fitted and 55 has Sound. If anyone fancies one and not DCC that's no problem, I'll return them to DC.

Phil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 07/07/2023 at 20:01, gwrrob said:

I hadn't realised that my toad 17295 was a preserved example , as is the NA version and both at the SDR no less.

GWR_Toads_17295_68777_and_35420_at_Staverton.jpg.77965a83089f384c8e845cc8b05cd030.jpg

The mortal remains of a bauxite liveried Toad body still clings to life next to the down line at Bishops Itchington, right opposite the spot where Greaves Sidings ‘box used to stand. When it still had a roof, the Toad was used as the shutter’s cabin.

I’m in the process of catching up with this lovely thread Robin, lots to admire and absorb, the only down side being the recent posts showing all the latest GW rolling stock coming out, which is distracting me somewhat from my plans to get stuck into 7mm… has there ever been a better time to model the Western in 4mm…? The new Manor, 15xx and Siphon Gs are absolutely superb, not to mention the more up to date Hornby Colletts and the new top lights to come etc, in a word - fantastic 😊

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Greetings all,

Robin has kindly suggested I mention this on his thread. I'm currently undergoing quite a large clear-out of my BR Western and Southern Region stock. My modelling interests have moved more towards the pre-nationalised period, and frankly, I have a real mix of stuff, very little that matches up! I'm also hoping to move fairly soon, so I need to clear the decks.

A number of things will be listed in the classified section over the coming days, but essentially more SR Hornby locomotives will be in the next wave, plus some more Western steam and diesel stock. I've also got about 25-30 Bachmann chocolate and cream MK1 coaches, which I have yet to list. Essentially, all are brand new, stock boxed and ready to go. Plus freight stock, RTR wagons mostly. There are some Bachmann presentation items, too - WW1 Ambulance Train and a Railway Children set, all of which will need new homes. 

Stay tuned, and thanks again, Robin.

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

For those wanting a quick Manor fix...

DSCN8944.JPG.b5b2888d95692b2f1015041f29f71bdf.jpg.c76eb332d1d07d21f8049f92a5218107.jpg

Hi Robin, Good to see 7814.

Any chance of a few more snaps?

Asking for a fiend...😉

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A Grange fest on several GWR themed threads is required.

Yep. You, Kevin and I can't be the only Grange fans.  Would be nice to see more before they're temporarily eclipsed by the imminent (?) arrival of the Accurascale Manor.    

John.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Yep. You, Kevin and I can't be the only Grange fans.  Would be nice to see more before they're temporarily eclipsed by the imminent (?) arrival of the Accurascale Manor.    

John.

Definitely - but when I left the railway room this afternoon (far too hot down there), I wasn't aware we were going to have a Grange fest. I shall join the "Grange Party" tomorrow 😎

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, checkrail said:

John.

Harold Gasson (Fireman/Driver/Signalman/Author) reckoned that the Granges were the best of all the classes of GWR loco, from his experience on the footplate.

He didn't rate the Manors very highly, apart from Cookham, which he liked. But I think he worked on them before the draughting was improved.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1