RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Oooof. How the mighty has fallen.

In recent history I've not been south of Hereford, but have taken both routes from North, down to it. The Brum route several times and both ways and once from Manchester. The Brum route bogcart is often stuffed beyond comfort! That trip of yours sounds amazing.

I have a son lives just outside the City and thus I've investigated the old infrastructure to some degree and even sensed the Ghosts of the Engine Shed at the Sainsburys site. For a short time he lived in one of the railway Cottages that are still there!

Pontrilas Station House is also a great Holiday Let.

I think, but can not confirm that I once Travelled from Shrewsbury to Worcester via Hereford on a rail travel based Shed bash in early 1963!

P

So that’s via the Colwall tunnel and the Malverns. Until about the 1960’s, some Birmingham Snow Hill to Cardiff trains ran that way,reaching Worcester Foregate Street via Stourbridge Junction and Kidderminster. You could get a connection at Stourbridge Junction from Wolverhampton Low Level via Dudley .That disappeared years ago.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm about as far from an expert on railways as it's possible to be, but to my eye the Rapido bauxite looks more like SR brown (dons flak jacket and helmet, exit stage left).

Whereas the grey of the unfitted version looks very good with the slightly bluish tint.

Now you have me looking at the only Southern Railway ( LSWR) van I have and thinking...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So that’s via the Colwall tunnel and the Malverns. Until about the 1960’s, some Birmingham Snow Hill to Cardiff trains ran that way, reaching Worcester Foregate Street via Stourbridge Junction and Kidderminster.  You could get a connection at Stourbridge Junction from Wolverhampton Low Level via Dudley .

Until ‘67 I think - when New St rebuild was complete.

23 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

That disappeared years ago.

Except in the Heath Town world!

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

I’ve invested in the new issue Hornby castle.  The green seems a bit improved to me but still feels a bit insipid.  For comparison, next to Accurascale’s new manor.  The manor look superior in almost every respect.  The smokebox colour and chimney is better, the green richer and the shirbutton really stands out.  You can also see the differences in contemporary tooling to 2010(? - not sure exactly when Hornby tooled this version). 

David

9588017B-A0A6-40B9-ACE2-FC1988428C71.jpeg

4DF8748A-7443-46B2-84C7-D6DD3FAFBDCE.jpeg

80ir13s4.png

Edited by Clearwater
turning pic up right way
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

Taken at a very busy Norden on the Swanage line.

I have no idea why there are 3 shots there and I can't edit it for some reason (but not unusual).

I hope the weather is/was not horrible for you?

Not been to Swanage since 1982!

I wonder if some visitors say, that Engine looks dirty, whereas we know it's typical?

Phil 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have no idea why there are 3 shots there and I can't edit it for some reason (but not unusual).

I hope the weather is/was not horrible for you?

Not been to Swanage since 1982!

I wonder if some visitors say, that Engine looks dirty, whereas we know it's typical?

Phil 

And so I’ve just learned by watching a YouTube video it’s a cosmetic exercise. Very artistically done though. Nice video . And I should add…..nice shots,Rob. Hope you are enjoying your break in the Sunny 🙏 South.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

1FAECD1D-4BB4-4973-AD93-12A59D24E175.jpeg.51959009afde3b250fd8b5ccb999d3ff.jpeg

627162F0-A7B6-4063-A422-CDF20045A437.jpeg.f6d26cfd7dc95d199c63131f1c20c15f.jpeg

My shot of it on the SVR a few years ago...

SVR340701A.jpg.553f8d18a9327db11df0a26d4bbde8aa.jpg

Although Great Western folk at heart as they lived not far from the GWML at Old Oak, my maternal grandparents used to regale me with tales of many trips on the Southern behind the big Bullieds of various hue, even on a daily basis it must have all seemed rather exotic and somehow special. I remember visiting grandad not long after I started working at Old Oak and his first words to me when I walked in were ''how's my old Great Western doing then...?'' 😉

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Dorset council have tarmaced over all of the old tracks at Weymouth Quay except here where the platform once stood and panniers strutted their stuff with boat trains .

F681811F-0DEC-4C4C-87E8-00FAF1422B8A.jpeg.59affda11a60cfdab57052c297089943.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Happy days ?

223F1398-8DC0-4D2A-8162-0DF7C58502B1.jpeg.5d1edd26877a86e9d1ba2d7e9e20030c.jpeg

They used Panniers so that if one or two fell off the end of the Jetty, they had hundreds more they could take out of their little Sheds as replacements.

Happened quite often I was told by a Bloke in the Smugglers Rest on Weymouth Front in 1960, on a dark and stormy night, near closing time.

They didn't bother fishing them out so there are several hulks still there. Sad and rust ridden shapes, the home of a hundred species of Sea Creature and Weed. 

Even now, on certain days, at the very time the Boat Trains used to arrive, it is said you can hear the distant, rhythmical Clanging of a Bell, the pop of a Vacuum Pump  and the ghostly shouts of, "Get that f#####g Motor out the way...".

Makes you think eh?

P

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Thoroughly whetted for receiving my pair from Accurascale , maybe next week, who knows.

Lot to be said for a nice wet pair. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1