Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Have you heard something you can share then @Ian Hargrave

I have heard but am sworn to keeping silent. I did not speak with anyone on the Dapol stand as I couldn’t get near .Why does there always have to be a long winded person who elbows his way ?  

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Grammar
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’m afraid once again it’s wake up & smell the coffee.And I’m sorry too.But it’s a model of an unique vehicle….a “special “limited release  if you like….all bells & whistles,interior detail,lighting etc.and in the same category as Revolution Trains Inspection Saloon recently released .This comes in toe to toe in price bracket with the Dapol as a comparative price guide.

I agree in general, but for a coach?

However,maybe to sweeten the pill,I’ve just been over to the Stafford Show and viewed Dapol’s new Toplights,an unpainted Auto Coach sample and new Prairies. A stunning ensemble I assure you.

If it's a 61XX type of Prairie, then it's probably not a priority for me.

And as for the passenger stock, they may well be very good, but since I went 'goods only', I'm afraid that I can't get particularly excited about them.

But I appreciate the gesture and the fact that it was well meant.

For something truly momentous though for GW there is a golden horizon

Well, that's got me wondering as well. What could possibly imply such a thing, if not a stunning new pannier?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I agree in general, but for a coach?

If it's a 61XX type of Prairie, then it's probably not a priority for me.

And as for the passenger stock, they may well be very good, but since I went 'goods only', I'm afraid that I can't get particularly excited about them.

But I appreciate the gesture and the fact that it was well meant.

Well, that's got me wondering as well. What could possibly imply such a thing, if not a stunning new pannier?

Well,take the hit first.It’s neither Pannier not Prairie. But…if this does come to fruition,it will be well received..

I am concerned to hear of your health issues and having recently battled through my own,wish there was something I could do to alleviate the stress and anxiety that accompany such. Keep strong.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, you know my views on this loco.

However, I'm almost on the point of being prepared to give it another chance, provided I can be assured that:

- the flange profile will be compatible with my OO-SF crossover on Bethesda

and

- I can get one that runs flawlessly on ordinary DC, including slow speed crawling.

The problem is, in order to arrive at the ideal loco, I may strike it lucky or have to go through Kernow MC's entire stock first...

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, you know my views on this loco.

However, I'm almost on the point of being prepared to give it another chance, provided I can be assured that:

- the flange profile will be compatible with my OO-SF crossover on Bethesda

and

- I can get one that runs flawlessly on ordinary DC, including slow speed crawling.

The problem is, in order to arrive at the ideal loco, I may strike it lucky or have to go through Kernow MC's entire stock first...

You can borrow mine before I DCC it! Postage only.

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I just need to say this about the new Coach. 

One of the recommended builders of Comet Coaches back in the day when I got involved circa 2008, used to do bells and whistles on a Coach Kit including fully decorated interiors etc. 

Around £800  for one of the more complex types Geoff (RIP) told me! 

That's 'Ouch!'

Phil

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2023 at 19:59, Captain Kernow said:

What a miserly, ungenerous and skin-flint attitude he does exhibit.

He should seek to be buying lots and lots of panniers, not just a few...

Buying any number of panniers is surely a step towards enlightenment.   In due course, increasing the number would be a logical step.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2023 at 19:59, Captain Kernow said:

What a miserly, ungenerous and skin-flint attitude he does exhibit.

He should seek to be buying lots and lots of panniers, not just a few...

Reason 493 why I don't like Panniers...

This dastardly example, and it would be 4666 the Devil's pannier wouldn't it, is hiding the building that I want a clear shot of.

IMG_20230923_100452.jpg.6495f6816f5182ecefe6ab7beaa592c1.jpg

Finally got a copy of the new "From the Camel to the Exe" book. Some cracking photos in it, excluding the one above for obvious reasons. My only slight niggle is that I found myself disagreeing with some of the captions... Going to do some checking when I get home.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Reason 493 why I don't like Panniers...

This dastardly example, and it would be 4666 the Devil's pannier wouldn't it, is hiding the building that I want a clear shot of.

IMG_20230923_100452.jpg.6495f6816f5182ecefe6ab7beaa592c1.jpg

Finally got a copy of the new "From the Camel to the Exe" book. Some cracking photos in it, excluding the one above for obvious reasons. My only slight niggle is that I found myself disagreeing with some of the captions... Going to do some checking when I get home.

4numberoftheBeast was the last Pannier I knowingly saw on BR, in Steam (?) at 72A. That sad sight (65 I think), when a Castle visited 72A and 4555 and a 32XX were heading for Totnes, has remained with me in Trauma for nearly 60 years.

It might have even been used as one of the so called Bankers at St David's/Central?

I'm sure I had seen it at Laira, en route to 72A; Laira (Steam) was a Ghost Shed by 64. It was finished/almost gone in '65.

It did actually appear at SJ on a short Goods for Seaton, I read somewhere, thus I need a version. Sorry, I have fewer than 493 reasons.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

£150 for a coach!!! A short GWR one at that too. 

Yes I know…..But I’ll bet that when it finally arrives,despite the price gripe,there’ll be oohs& ahhhs…and maybe furtively we’ll be queuing up to buy it .We’ll see. A reminder gents ,that this seems to be the current market price ,indigestible though it seems .

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2023 at 14:46, BWsTrains said:

do the resident LMS experts have an opinion on which is the more accurate shade? I've the odd kit of that era to build myself.

A bit late replying to this but anyhow... Rapido have got it pretty much spot on to me, a very close match to the Phoenix colour. Some kind soul also sent them the LMS paint schedule to work off too, so they had the recipe originally used to mix the paint. 😉 This contains an amount of black, making it more brown than the orangey BR colour that springs to most people's mind when they hear "bauxite". Phoenix also have a reputation for getting their colour matches accurate so I'm more than happy that they have got this right too.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Even the humble Pannier didn't escape the fashion for streamlining, which worked better running bunker first...

52171040763_b4e919dc05.jpg.aad3c495ff4810591946b07fd617d93f.jpg

Well as it 'appens, they probably work better that way round. A very clever bloke, a real rocket scientist who also happened to hand build a race motorbike around a snowmobile engine, turned up at a friends house in Florida during Daytona Bike Week and relayed this pearl of wisdom. If you take a brick, put in a wind tunnel and get it's Cd (drag coefficient), then round off the front face of the brick and you'll find it's Cd drops as you'd expect. However, if you now pick up the brick, spin it 180* so the flat face is now facing forward and the curved end facing backwards, the Cd drops even further! How the air leaves  the object is just as critical, if not more so, as the shape of the front.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Well as it 'appens, they probably work better that way round. A very clever bloke, a real rocket scientist who also happened to hand build a race motorbike around a snowmobile engine, turned up at a friends house in Florida during Daytona Bike Week and relayed this pearl of wisdom. If you take a brick, put in a wind tunnel and get it's Cd (drag coefficient), then round off the front face of the brick and you'll find it's Cd drops as you'd expect. However, if you now pick up the brick, spin it 180* so the flat face is now facing forward and the curved end facing backwards, the Cd drops even further! How the air leaves  the object is just as critical, if not more so, as the shape of the front.

That's what I was told in Biology about the opposite sex. However it was 1962.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, 57xx said:

If you go back to Motor Racing in the 1960s , Richie Ginther number 2 at BRM introduced a cut off tail to racing cars in general . I think Ferrari applied it to their sports racers and the 250 GTo . The rationale was a proper tear drop streamlined tail was too long to be practicable , so you might as well chop it off .

Edited by 1466
Predictive text changed Racing to Raving …. might be better that way .
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Basic aerodynamics indeed, a pannier tank would look silly streamlined, those Rodarc motorcycle panniers are rather stylish but not all that practical.

We've gone full circle now with those giant square aluminium boxes which are meant to fool people into thinking that you regularly ride to Tibet.

Aerodynamics don't matter as most of those bikes wobble off to a tea stall on Sunday morning and back home in time for Sunday lunch. 😆 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4