RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
On 05/10/2023 at 20:33, John Besley said:

Have we seen a brace of Castles recently seeing as this their year.. and BTW what happened to the 8 wheel tender that was used ...

Believed to have gone to Birds with 5904.

There are a few small gaps in the history and livery changes to this unique tender, but slowly they are getting filled and completed.  I did a fair bit of gap filling a while back before building it for use behind a black WW2 built un named Hall, which it was joined to after WW2.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I am most impressed that you have (a) remembered that I wrote that, Robin and (b) that you have tracked down my original post!

I am, of course, waiting for one in carmine or maroon... (and possibly may wait until I can find a second-hand example at a lower price that the current retail).

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Believed to have gone to Birds with 5904.

There are a few small gaps in the history and livery changes to this unique tender, but slowly they are getting filled and completed.  I did a fair bit of gap filling a while back before building it for use behind a black WW2 built un named Hall, which it was joined to after WW2.

Intresting got any other info on your build?

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Apologies yet again.

A question about renaming Castles if that's OK? 

I used some Fox Plates today and they are OK , but they didn't really fit neatly on the existing plates (Steel and not easy to cut shorter or remove entirely as [art of a larger Steel Plate that forms the face of the Wheel arch front, as you probably know ).

I may be cack handed, but they were very flimsy too.

It was 5043  Earl of Mount Edgecumbe and is now 5049 Earl of Plymouth. (I have another Edgecumbe).

Thus my question is, to those that may have done it, which Plates are bets for Hornby Castles and any tips for when I do a couple of others?

I should ask if there are any detail differences I need to be aware of for Plymuff, compared to the original Edgecumbe...but that's a second question!

I have painted over the OHL Warning Stickers; not appropriate for the dates I'm running it/them.

Many thanks.

Phil 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil, I posted how I renamed a Castle on page 45 of the new castles arriving thread, it may be of some help.(Sorry, couldn’t sort out how to do the link).

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 88C said:

Phil, I posted how I renamed a Castle on page 45 of the new castles arriving thread, it may be of some help.(Sorry, couldn’t sort out how to do the link).

Brian

Thanks Brian. On the Hornby section I presume?

P

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 88C said:

Yes

Just looked aand that's brilliant. Wish I'd had the nowse to ask first and seen that earlier Brian.

I shall have a look at the choice of Plates at Fox as they do different mounting versions I think?

However, Weathering will cover the lack of lining etc. (says he hopefully).

Many thanks for your time.

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/10/2023 at 09:58, gwrrob said:

I’ll be at GETS on Sunday and will try and get some shots of the Kernow railmotor production samples courtesy of @Graham_Muz

Enjoy GETS tomorrow Rob, think I last went in 2020 just as the COVID restrictions were lifting prior to being put back on for Christmas. Failing that it was 2021. Who knows?

Anyway I do know I went through Swindon today. Still feeling quite ill but I'm hoping seeing the LSWR T3 running tomorrow at Swanage will sort that out. 

Popped in to the tank museum today on the way down. Saw this. Is there no end to the all invading FS merchandising?:

IMG_20231014_142640.jpg.90c5d623895114ca3d54e19e370d7195.jpg

Looks suitable for ramming coaches...

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

Enjoy GETS tomorrow Rob, think I last went in 2020 just as the COVID restrictions were lifting prior to being put back on for Christmas. Failing that it was 2021. Who knows?

Anyway I do know I went through Swindon today. Still feeling quite ill but I'm hoping seeing the LSWR T3 running tomorrow at Swanage will sort that out. 

Popped in to the tank museum today on the way down. Saw this. Is there no end to the all invading FS merchandising?:

Im surprised to see that Chris Price from the NYMR is moving to the tank museum at Bovington. Certainly a loss for the NYMR.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Evening all.

Apologies yet again.

A question about renaming Castles if that's OK? 

I used some Fox Plates today and they are OK , but they didn't really fit neatly on the existing plates (Steel and not easy to cut shorter or remove entirely as [art of a larger Steel Plate that forms the face of the Wheel arch front, as you probably know ).

I may be cack handed, but they were very flimsy too.

It was 5043  Earl of Mount Edgecumbe and is now 5049 Earl of Plymouth. (I have another Edgecumbe).

Thus my question is, to those that may have done it, which Plates are bets for Hornby Castles and any tips for when I do a couple of others?

I should ask if there are any detail differences I need to be aware of for Plymuff, compared to the original Edgecumbe...but that's a second question!

I have painted over the OHL Warning Stickers; not appropriate for the dates I'm running it/them.

Many thanks.

Phil 

I usually remove the Hornby plate completely by continually scoring with a sharp Stanley blade. I then fit three mounting brackets into the splasher not the front plate and then put it all together. Note some of the Earl plates radii do not match up with the Castle splasher as they came from the smaller wheeled 4-4-0 locos. Look at the full size 5043.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Enjoy GETS tomorrow Rob, think I last went in 2020 just as the COVID restrictions were lifting prior to being put back on for Christmas. Failing that it was 2021. 

Yes I remember that and wearing a mask at the show. Today I'm not driving and letting Avanti West Coast take me, wish me luck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Yes I remember that and wearing a mask at the show. Today I'm not driving and letting Avanti West Coast take me, wish me luck.

How long should we wait before sending out search parties?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Is there no end to the lengths you will go to, to disrespect the GWR?

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

You know there is engineering at Euston this weekend....

I let Avanti take me yesterday, apart from a cancelled Edinburgh service (I was on the Manchesters) all the other trains including LNWR seemed to be running to time, a bit like the railway before Covid, perhaps it is getting there.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

How long should we wait before sending out search parties?

You’re not wrong, ran 35 minutes late and then was routed via Northampton !

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

You’re not wrong, ran 35 minutes late and then was routed via Northampton !

That Northampton is nothing but trouble. When I worked for Silverlink, we were hoping for a joint project with South West Trains to merge Northampton and Southampton, and produce one enormous Hampton. Sadly Connex South Central objected, on behalf of the residents of Littlehampton (where Sherry's ex was born). 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13