A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Did anyone carefully read the Accurascale email on Tuesday regarding 90% of the Manors having sold through? 

I noticed this tidbit:

Pick up your Accurascale Manor today, before they sell out, and plan ahead for further releases with Accurascale taking on God's Wonderful Railway. Surely, a match made in heaven!

Hmm! I still think Collett Sunshine coaches are in desperate need of a retool and an expanded range of diagrams. Accurascale would make a magnificent job of these I think. 

CoY 

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Did anyone carefully read the Accurascale email on Tuesday regarding 90% of the Manors having sold through? 

I noticed this tidbit:

Pick up your Accurascale Manor today, before they sell out, and plan ahead for further releases with Accurascale taking on God's Wonderful Railway. Surely, a match made in heaven!

Hmm! I still think Collett Sunshine coaches are in desperate need of a retool and an expanded range of diagrams. Accurascale would make a magnificent job of these I think. 

CoY 

One can always hope @County of Yorkshire especially when you see the latest images of their Mark 1 suburban models.

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/mark-1-suburban-coach-update-december-2023

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

With regard to Blacksmith Models coming back an expression of interest in the siphon F is required as the first kit to be re-released.

I was not expecting that. With two unbuilt K's ones on the shelf, sadly not one of interest to me.

Mike Wiltshire

• Friendly/supportive 1

The k's is far from perfect but at the £10 I paid for the last one, is good value for money and certainly good enough for me. When running in a train, I am not counting panels and louvres. There were only 6 in traffic from memory so you can have too many. I found another built K's one from my teens so definately now have too many.

The K's will not be coming back. The tools appeared at Nucast in the Hartlepool years and were rusted beyond repair.

I wish the Blacksmith venture well and hope the F sales reflect Mark's investment. Personally it is general running stock such as clerestories and toplights that would tempt me. A friend has asked me to build some Mallard 70ft stock him which clearly where his wish list lies. I did find interesting, the kits have been supplied with replacement, modern produced cast fittings and bogies ( many from Dart castings) which are much crisper then the original Blacksmith fittings.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, drduncan said:

I seem to recall that there is an error with one or more of the centre panels. I’m sure there was an MRJ article (by Martin Goodall perhaps) on bashing the k’s kit.

D

This is what’s tempting me to replace my single siphon F with a Blacksmith one (and then chop the Ks one down into a siphon C as I did with my second Siphon F last year)

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

7 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

This is what’s tempting me to replace my single siphon F with a Blacksmith one (and then chop the Ks one down into a siphon C as I did with my second Siphon F last year)

Its why its on my list of stock to CAD and 3d print - especially as my new MonoX2 will allow stock up to c60ft in length to be printed as a single piece body shell...so reasons not to get busy with the CAD are rapidly diminishing (apart from the all BG stuff to do and a load of rash promises made to Mark Tatlow in exchange for a slotted post signal...)

🙂

D

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Its why its on my list of stock to CAD and 3d print - especially as my new MonoX2 will allow stock up to c60ft in length to be printed as a single piece body shell...so reasons not to get busy with the CAD are rapidly diminishing (apart from the all BG stuff to do and a load of rash promises made to Mark Tatlow in exchange for a slotted post signal...)

🙂

D

That was my other thought for a siphon C, having printed the 6 wheel siphons that are a similar size.

definitely have printer envy with the X2

45 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

That's what will happen with this one. Luckily found the Hammond bespoke underframe etch

Mike Wiltshire

20231224_100349.jpg.943465b8ef19b50cb013412d43050c2f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Have you guys tried, or got any thoughts about, the Osborn's kit for the Siphon C?

I bought a very early production run . It’s cleverly designed and the slatted nature of the prototype lends itself well to laser cutting . The kit of parts looks very good 

I haven’t had a chance to build it yet but have airbrushed the body .

I had superb customer service when Osborn noticed that the original  6 axle chassis would struggle on tight curves . They redesigned the centre axle  for more side play on the centre axle  AND sent me a replacement f.o.c !

I recommend the kit.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Standard class 4-6-0 75014 Braveheart and 42xx class 4277 share the train of light duties in South Devon. Photo credits Chris Slack.

E6B73269-45DB-4CC2-AEDB-B2C992F0D1A5.jpeg.ed1e69f4efb53a6b2ce3d0f55233f824.jpeg

FC20EABF-1FEF-49FB-B115-7321FFD33237.jpeg.49a72ab6344c0a0699fee681fb8efd1b.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I must order one to take back. I like variety in my milk trains.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike , this isn’t a criticism of the kit but the axle boxes and springs are engraved and not therefore 3d  .

This probably doesn’t matter as they are hidden behind the 2 sets of floor boards supplied .

To keep my options  open , I’ve laid in supplies but won’t know which I will follow until I get into the build .

However , knowing you might be in Oz , I wanted to highlight the issue .

I should have said I’ve no financial or commercial interest in Osborn- just  a happy customer.

PS Apart from springs and axle boxes the kit is complete with wheels and even had paper stencils in lieu of transfers . There are inserts for Maunsell wheels - wood centres .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1466 said:

Mike , this isn’t a criticism of the kit but the axle boxes and springs are engraved and not therefore 3d  .

This probably doesn’t matter as they are hidden behind the 2 sets of floor boards supplied .

To keep my options  open , I’ve laid in supplies but won’t know which I will follow until I get into the build .

However , knowing you might be in Oz , I wanted to highlight the issue .

I should have said I’ve no financial or commercial interest in Osborn- just  a happy customer.

PS Apart from springs and axle boxes the kit is complete with wheels and even had paper stencils in lieu of transfers . There are inserts for Maunsell wheels - wood centres .

Thanks for the info. I will raid my castings box. Kit ordered. 

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Since this (very-entertaining) thread tends to be frequented by those with a real knowledge of matters GWR, may I ask the following question, please?

GWRbogieparcelsvannumber1801.jpg.0b8d83bb9c6304efe9918a48cbde2cc1.jpg

Does anyone know what this is a model of? 

It was built by the late Vic Halliwell, and though it rides on Ratio bogies, could it be built from scratch? 

My library with regard to the GW is (as expected) more-limited than that concerned with railway matters further east, and I cannot find a reference to this diagram. 

Thanks in anticipation, and my compliments of the season to all on here.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3