A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

If you lot can keep it to yourselves Accurascale have a little announcement tomorrow.😉

Pweeze, pweeze let um be anufa painiaer tunk.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Is it…..perhaps…..time to make an old man ( for that is exactly what I am  but not yet in my dotage ) happy and announce the arrival before the end of time of a Saint and a Hawksworth County ? Yes I am aware thatI do keep banging on a bit about them but then again,why not ?  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I'm going to use some of the money I would have used to buy a Kernow railmotor and buy a autocoach in the pre-1909 livery.

Yes it's got nothing suitable to go with it, but maybe one day. Let's just hope Dapol manage to get the livery right. Liveries can be a bit of a blindspot with them 😄

Yes, I’d love to support the Dapol Autocoach but have held off pre-ordering as there does not seem to be anything suitable to haul it.

I’ve raised the subject elsewhere, to me the best solution would be a permanently coupled loco and trailer with a lot of the electrical gubbins, speaker space etc in the trailer to free up the loco space for weight and mechanism.

I may end up doing just that with my Hattons 48XX as it is a total non-runner at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The Airfix-Dapol-Hornby 14XX can be made into a good model (I recall that I may have assisted Not Jeremy with one, many years ago and I certainly did one for a mutual friend of ours), but even with the former Mainly Trains pack, there are definite improvements that can be made, mainly in the area of the smokebox door. I don't really rate the replacement smokebox door provided by the Mainly Trains pack, so I used to use a turned brass one, supplied by Roxey, to which I had to add hinges, smokebox door handle and number plate.

Here's one I did (a lot) earlier - my K's 14XX, with turned brass smokebox door etc:

20220921_123053.jpg.477e841bc65e21eb28614d568c490875.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

If you lot can keep it to yourselves Accurascale have a little announcement tomorrow.😉

HOORAY! At last a original Bulleid light pacfic and Maunsell brake second as a complete North Devon train, with the loco running tender first

Edited by John Besley
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Can't be any worse than making him operate Ex-L&NER tram engines in public for two days.............

20230813_105336-01.jpeg.03b32afd2001622715c02ffe3a18c3da.jpeg

Look at his happy little face.......sheer unadulterated joy. 

This could explain the queue of people begging Roger Sawyer to flick liquid flux in their eyes over on the soldering demo stand.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

A 517 would be an absolute dream to go with the new Dapol autocoach!

Which will no doubt be announced about ten minutes after I finish converting a 1466 into 530 🙄 

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’d completely forgotten about the Dapol Autocoach (how embarrassing)

Which was announced about ten minutes after I finally got around to upgrading the ancient Airfix model.... 🤣

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Tell a lie, it was £8:20 😜

IMG_20240208_2046183702.jpg.5d3cdeeaf2d7956cc69a33574dd88a18.jpg

and she's not looking too bad from this side.

IMG_20240208_204659525.jpg.c37e9f691c87ec30748db24fa9472c24.jpg

I was still at school when you bought that @Tim Dubya and I’m 60 next month !

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I was about 12 or 13 at the time.

Likewise, it came from Hattons and like many, the tyres came adrift on the driving wheels and I had my first ever demonstration of the wonder of superglue at NorCol models in Leicester.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Age is something you get used to,providing the passage of time allows. 

Growing old is mandatory.

Growing up is optional.

- Walt Disney.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

And to paraphrase Oscar Wilde:

There's only one thing worse than getting old, and that's not getting old.....

Absolutely right. I was only saying the other day that of the five lads who became friends in secondary school and sixth form, there was only two of us left by the age of fifty. Two died in car crashes and one from a stroke.

There's me sometimes thinking that I made a hash of being a grown up, flying around on motorbikes and going off working in places that are on nobody's gap year bucket list and generally doing stupid things.

Then realised I should be grateful for the life I have.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10