A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Absolutely right. I was only saying the other day that of the five lads who became friends in secondary school and sixth form, there was only two of us left by the age of fifty. Two died in car crashes and one from a stroke.

There's me sometimes thinking that I made a hash of being a grown up, flying around on motorbikes and going off working in places that are on nobody's gap year bucket list and generally doing stupid things.

Then realised I should be grateful for the life I have.

Having had a close encounter during open heart surgery a couple of years ago,I truly am

• Friendly/supportive 9

2 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Absolutely mate.  I'm in the middle of a "health scare" ATM, just waiting for test results.  I've been off work with a dodgy back too (this has been quite difficult as I didn't disclose my back condition to my new employer when I started, as I was supposed too but I was desperate to leave my last job with honour... or not get sacked for too much sickness) but this has given me the opportunity to get my toys out and get on with some stickin' & gluin' , so all good.

Not good, I hope that you are on the mend soon. I trapped a nerve in my lower back once, it actually scared me more than other far worse incidents because I'd be doing something and without warning it felt like all the wires had been cut and my legs gave way. It lasted about two weeks until I woke up one morning and it had sorted itself out as though it had never happened. It was very weird.

2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Having had a close encounter during open heart surgery a couple of years ago,I truly am

I had a close encounter with the man in black once too. Some poor devil stood on something that went bang and I woke up three days later having had treatment for my injuries and sepsis from foreign bone fragments. 

That made me slightly blasé about my recent health scare, but I didn't realise how much it had played on my mind until I got the all clear.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And now some optimism. There IS to be a show at the NEC  23/24 Nov. Billed as a “ National “ event apparently.

Looks like a Warners takeover.  Makes sense as it kind of felt given their existing portfolios it would end up getting absorbed by either Warners or Key.  Will be good to see it continue

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Definitely looks a bit better under that light, and if these locos were used in the Middle East campaign then that is the sort of shade you'd go with.

The polished safety bonnet and chimney still look odd on a camouflaged loco, but I don't know what they were like in ROD service.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Looks like a Warners takeover.  Makes sense as it kind of felt given their existing portfolios it would end up getting absorbed by either Warners or Key.  Will be good to see it continue

It is though a large financial commitment and hopefully it will be sustainable going forward. It does make one reflect upon how just one group of dedicated enthusiasts managed to initiate and run it for as long as they did.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And now some optimism. There IS to be a show at the NEC  23/24 Nov. Billed as a “ National “ event apparently.

I hope this isn't going to add to the workload of our Moderators! They need every hour to keep on top of the forum and the pesky "ad-techs" who seem intent on annoying us for no good reason.

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

5322-comparison.png.10e411cabd0f04e4c9b556d9f47ded0d.png

Indeed. Reminds me of my first sight of BR’s Western diesel D1000 on its inaugural run .The official WR terminology described the colour as… “desert sand “ Now Dapol are revisiting it. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Now Dapol are revisiting it. 

Revising more like 😜

I can't find the article now, but I think it was by Aiden Campbell, when he described colour scaling for model makers. 

Ah, here it be...

guide to scale colour.pdf

Edited by Tim Dubya
Filage
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Question…Is anyone tempted ?

No, I'd rather have a wartime black example instead, like @BenL 😉

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I hope this isn't going to add to the workload of our Moderators! They need every hour to keep on top of the forum and the pesky "ad-techs" who seem intent on annoying us for no good reason.

Hello Phil

I have already prepared the review, construction, checking and running schedule for The 00 Wishlist Poll 2024 and Andy has seen it.

I noted that - although (at the time of writing) there was no NEC event - I had actually built in plenty of 'recovery margin' for him in case anything stepped in to fill the breach.🙂

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Question…Is anyone tempted ?

Not tempted by the khaki sandy beige colour, no.

But I am tempted by one of the BR liveried examples...

As luck would have it, I had to pop into Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh station this morning and started to inspect some of the examples they had (only just) put out in the glass display case. They had only had a delivery this morning. As I was starting to look at them, I was approached by one of the chaps working (?volunteering?) there and given what can only be described as a hard sell...! He even said, 'here's one you can have a closer look at, Sir'. They had taken a BR unlined black example out of it's box and gave it to me to examine. I thought it was rather fab, but as there are other expenses coming up shortly, I resisted the temptation (for now...)

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

As luck would have it, I had to pop into Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh station this morning

How lovely @Captain Kernow to still have a local model shop especially in your part of the world. Tempered of course by the sadness felt by the shop in Paignton closing.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/sadness-iconic-devon-shop-closes-9084851

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

How lovely @Captain Kernow to still have a local model shop especially in your part of the world. Tempered of course by the sadness felt by the shop in Paignton closing.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/sadness-iconic-devon-shop-closes-9084851

Indeed Robin, I count myself lucky indeed to be able to go there and buy various supplies needed.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Not tempted by the khaki sandy beige colour, no.

But I am tempted by one of the BR liveried examples...

As luck would have it, I had to pop into Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh station this morning and started to inspect some of the examples they had (only just) put out in the glass display case. They had only had a delivery this morning. As I was starting to look at them, I was approached by one of the chaps working (?volunteering?) there and given what can only be described as a hard sell...! He even said, 'here's one you can have a closer look at, Sir'. They had taken a BR unlined black example out of it's box and gave it to me to examine. I thought it was rather fab, but as there are other expenses coming up shortly, I resisted the temptation (for now...)

And coincidentally,that is the one example of the current release that would tempt me.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I always struggled to find anything useful in the Paignton shop, and always use Bekra in Newton Abbot, proberly as I only scratchbuild in effect  - Bekra have a good range of KS metals, Plastistrut, Humbrol, Revell, etc. Paint. Peco... 

Still miss Geo' Savage in Ellicombe Torquay... used to cycle over there in my school days and after

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 09/02/2024 at 01:42, NHY 581 said:

Quote from yesterday's post by him, 

"You have asked and been corrected about this before within the Hattons 14xx thread. The 14xx tooling was/is fully owned by Hattons and nothing to do with any demise of DJM. It is up to Hattons what they may or might have already done with it"

I see that Accurascale are acquiring the Hattons Originals Toolings, progressively over 2024

Accurascale acquire Hattons Toolings

Maybe that gives some hope for a 48xx class based on this comment deep down in the post

"Other former Hattons tooling (sic) have also joined the Accurascale line up and news on those models will be revealed later in 2024. "

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2