A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.8: Departmental Stock

Hello everyone

Welcome to the eighth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Ballast Wagon, it probably is a Ballast Wagon, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Ballast & Track Vehicles

1   Ballast Wagon – Starfish/Ling (P14 & BR Diags.1/566 & 1/567)

2   Ballast Wagon – Herring/Mackerel (P22 and BR Diags.1/582 & 1/584 and Diag.1/583)

3   Rail Wagon – Whiting/Minnow (T Diagrams & BR Diag.1/620 & 1/622)

4   Chaired Sleeper Wagon (Diags.T1, T12, T13)         

5   Track Relaying Crane – to run with PWM 651-654

Breakdown

6   Breakdown Crane (such as GWR No.205 at Didcot)

7   Staff & Tool Vans

Inspection

8   Dynamometer Car W7W

9   Track Testing Car – ‘The Whitewash Coach’ (W139W/DW139)

Others

10 Gas Reservoir Tank Wagon 4-wheel – Cordon (Diag.DD4)

11 Loco Coal Wagon 4-wheel 10- & 20-ton

12 Hand Crane 4-wheel 3-ton (as preserved at Great Western Society)

13 Your suggestions of any Departmental Stock not listed.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 7 August. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 8 August.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

No.2 for me please Brian, the Diagram 1/584 variety. 

Incidentally, I think that had more of a Southern ancestry, being derived from a Leeds Forge Co design produced for the SECR before the grouping.

As for more polls, how about some Southern ones? Perhaps Mr Duck might consent to them being accommodated within his SOS Junction blog.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 2

Huge thanks to Brian, Robin and team for another engaging poll, and sorry to have missed voting for the previous one.

For the current poll, I'd like to vote for 1-7 inclusive, plus 10 and 11.

For 13, I'd like to add a vote for The Fatadder's excellent suggestion of the Metcam side tippers.

Thanks again,

Ben

• Thanks 2

If any interest here, the new Bachmann Autumn 2021 announcement has one GWR item: (37-936) a 3 Plank Wagon GWR grey with 'GWR' brown BD container. Here's a link to Rails or Kernow.

There's also a nice newly tooled two tone green 47 for ₤203.

For a reminder, the Planet Industries Victory class orders will go to full price on Monday August 9th. Website (from £115 to £130 for DCC ready). You either can pay in full or a £30 deposit.

Another, the SECR wagons order books will be closed on September 1st. Don't know how that will work for other sites besides Rapido's own site. On Rapido's, they are £32.95, while they are discounted on Rails for £27.95.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Ribird said:

If any interest here, the new Bachmann Autumn 2021 announcement has one GWR item: (37-936) a 3 Plank Wagon GWR grey with 'GWR' brown BD container. Here's a link to Rails or Kernow.

For a reminder, the Planet Industries Victory class orders will go to full price on Monday August 9th. Website (from £115 to £130 for DCC ready). You either can pay in full or a £30 deposit.

Another, the SECR wagons order books will be closed on September 1st. Don't know how that will work for other sites besides Rapido's own site. On Rapido's, they are £32.95, while they are discounted on Rails for £27.95.

Did the GWR have any dropside 3 plank wagons? The only 3 plank wagons I am aware of were the diagram O35, and they had a drop door like a 5 plank wagon.

25 minutes ago, Ribird said:

So, this is based on Rapido US (and other US manufacturers like Athearn who use the pre-order system) - as well as what appears to be happening with the Rapido UK APT-E (which is so far the only UK product to have an order deadline pass).

Rapido sets an order deadline, and that deadline is the last day where you can guarantee that you can order and get the product, or a retailer can place an order and be guaranteed to get it.

Rapido then several days after that deadline (as they need to allow for the dealer orders to arrive) take those order numbers and use that to decide how many models to make.  They will make enough models to satisfy all pre-orders, and they will also use their judgement (influenced by the pre-order numbers) to make a small amount of extra units.

After the order deadline you still have the potential to order a model - either from the small amount of extra units Rapido makes or through any inventory units that retailers have ordered.  Example, it appears you can still order the APT-E from Rapido.

But, and this is the key point, the model can sell out at anytime and frequently products sell out between the order deadline and when the models actually arrive.

So, in summary:

• order by the order deadline and you are guaranteed your model
  • after the order deadline you roll the dice on availability (so still best to order as soon as possible)

An example from an American product - their HO Comet Commuter cars.  Order deadline was September 15th last year, they are currently expected to arrive next month.  If we go to Rapido's website we see that some of them can still be ordered, but many of them are sold out at Rapido and you need to check retailers for inventory.

https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/passenger-cars/ho-scale-comet-cabs-and-coaches

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ribird said:

If any interest here, the new Bachmann Autumn 2021 announcement has one GWR item: (37-936) a 3 Plank Wagon GWR grey with 'GWR' brown BD container

GWR - no need to say any more than that.

1 hour ago, Ribird said:

Seen working through Brent in the past.

1 hour ago, Ribird said:

For a reminder, the Planet Industries Victory class

Very common through Brent. Often seen double-heading long mineral trains off the Kingsbridge branch.

1 hour ago, Ribird said:

SECR wagons

Plenty of these seen on goods services through Brent at one time or another.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

8, 9, and 10.

Given the popularity (at least on RMweb) of the LNER Dynamometer car I would have to think several years later there would be a market for a GWR version and surprised no one (so far) has announced it.

• Thanks 2

So my votes are for 

1,2, 3, 4, ,6,7, 10,11,12

i would love and 8 or 9 but fear the price point would be excessive.

The items not listed would be a Hopper Loco Coal diagram n12 or n25.  Given manufacturers seem to like big stand out wagons why not an N14 40t bogie loco coal. 

Finally probably the wrong section but two aircraft based wagons a Parrot or Gadfly.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, the 1948 trials apart, BR Southern Region always did their damnedest to ensure their flagship locos didn't reach Plymouth via either line to avoid any such crowing.  72A always had sufficient Light Pacifics on their books to make it a very rare occurrence. 

On the other hand, although (AFAIK) it never happened prior to the preservation era, the MN's axle-loading would theoretically have allowed them to work into Cornwall where the GWR's biggest locos were prohibited.

Waterloo, of course, would not have been the regional HQ to ensure that didn't happen.....:jester: 

John 

The rebuilt MNs had a heavier driving axleload than a GWR 47XX - and the 47XX were not permitted to work west of Keyham.  Rebuilt MNs were not permitted west of Devonport Jcn in BR days.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

The rebuilt MNs had a heavier driving axleload than a GWR 47XX - and the 47XX were not permitted to work west of Keyham.  Rebuilt MNs were not permitted west of Devonport Jcn in BR days.

HI Mike,

Weren't some of the route restrictions placed on the 47xx class because of the length of their coupled wheelbase rather than axle-loading though?

John

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

HI Mike,

Weren't some of the route restrictions placed on the 47xx class because of the length of their coupled wheelbase rather than axle-loading though?

John

Possibly a Bridge Curve restriction John but they definitely weren't allowed over Weston Mill viaduct which could take quite heavy axle loads.  Oddly 47XX were allowed a few miles further west the Standard 9Fs which weren't permitted beyond North Road and that must have been down to the wheelbase as their axle loading wasn't at all bad (they were Blue RA under the GWR system).

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

And so to the voting and what I would definitely buy should it s come on the market -

1, 2, 4,7, 9, 10, 11, 12.  

The missing one in my view is the Gane A without which item 5, the TRM, doesn't make too much sense as the TRMs only worked with trains of track sections or recovered track sections.

Number 4 the chaired sleeper wagon could have been seen almost anywhere as they were used to deliver chaired sleepers for spot replacement work so it's nice little 'something different' which could turn up in all sort of places.  Item 7 is a major catch all (a bit like Toplights ;) ) so some could be seen with breakdown trains but there were masses of other uses - latest edition of 'Model Rail' is worth alook for some unusual departmental vehicles.

No.8 was a major temptation but I decided to omit it in the end despite it lasting to the dawn of WR main line diesel deliveries.   I still think it's a major target for somebody to produce  in the nit too distant future but there is a shortage of interior information which might constrain some  people's ideas.  No.9 is ideal for anyone with a 'main line ' layout as it moved round the various routes on a regular programme and it was the last Toplight in mainline running condition.  But its outward appearance is very date driven as it changed enormously over the years even ending up on B4 bogies and almost looking more like an adapted Mk 3 rather than a massively altered Toplight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

8, 9, and 10.

Given the popularity (at least on RMweb) of the LNER Dynamometer car I would have to think several years later there would be a market for a GWR version and surprised no one (so far) has announced it.

though preferably not the Hawksworth one which only applies to late period modellers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

10 Cordon - any type. These are seen in a fair few photos of class C trains on the Cornish main line. I’d buy one, maybe two.

I think the word is ubiquitous!  All over the place although usually found at the bay platform buffers!  Even in my tinplate layout, I yearn for one instead of the horizontal twin Hornby version which I have never seen in reality.

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very common through Brent. Often seen double-heading long mineral trains off the Kingsbridge branch.

Planet Industrials has just posted a 5 minute video showing the mechanism, underside, and paint scheme choices for those interested, Kingsbridge or otherwise

• Like 2