A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Steady...

(Vegan loon of 71G)

No problem - I nearly asterisked that as my daughter had an 18 month spell as a vegan.

I was referring more to the fact that PETA have plenty of "real world" issues they could more usefully address rather than inventing a "back story" for a poster character.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Red Arrows are due to fly over Trent Bridge at lunchtime today - going to be a bit quiet there...

The Vulcan is out tomorrow and I suspect the Arrows will still do a 'pass' over Nott'm. They will be dropping leaflets regarding cricket coaching during the school holidays.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

The up milk train has just left Penzance with a 2-8-0 filling in instead of my usual Hall....

This has been delayed due to the promise of a all I can eat Chinese buffet lunch.However even after 28 years of wedded bliss swmbo gets the wrong engine on my card.Tractor looks familiar though.

post-126-0-35503000-1439033427.jpeg

So far:

• Washing up (dishwater broken, so, worse than it sounds)
  • Cleaning out the guttering
  • Staring at the £4,500 plus VAT quote for remedial electrical work to get us that magic certificate.  Bl**dy Seventeenth Century wiring; nothing lasts. I'm open to tender, BTW.

Highlight of the day likely to be accompanying the Memsahib to Stamford to buy her new show jodhpurs.

Just hoping I might, finally, and after whenever it was I last posted a picture of the cottages in the Card Structure forum (May?!?) get some modelling in, though I doubt it as it's off to a neighbour's for a party from 5 (!). Bl**dy social round.

Robin, this is a rare concept art drawing. Pictured are the components of the new, handcrafted, Franklin Mint, Flying Scotsman-Finest Hour-MG Legend Tractor Magazine special edition cuckoo clock.

As such, it'll be worth a small fortune one day.

• RMweb Gold

sausages, women, train, duck, sausages, coaches, chimneys, pasty, cake, train, station building, boat, sausages, transfers, football, Blondie, 12000 posts, train, duck, fiddle yard, train, posters.

Thanks Colin, but you forgot to mention Haverfordwest.

• RMweb Gold

Not a rhino or chocolate brownie in sight as 4948 passes with a parcels train.

Well, 'Chocolate Brownie' was in fact the secret telegraph code for the experimental military 'Rhino' type of bogie stores van, used to secretly transport military stores, in secret, from a secret storage facility approximately one mile from the main line between Box Tunnel and Bathford Halt, to 'HMS Artichoke', a land-based Royal Navy training facility located deep in the South Hams and accessed off a secret spur inside Sorley Tunnel, known only to the Admiralty and Enid Blyton.

Such trains were only ever supposed to run at night, when there was a full moon and an 'H' in the month. The booked motive power was a pair of Black 5s, specially loaned by the LMS, due to the fact that this was the only type of locomotive that the Officer commanding HMS Artichoke could correctly recognise (this is believed to be the origin of 'The Captain's Black 5 Test', which was used extensively post-war to train British Railways Traffic Management Trainees in the art of locomotive recognition during darkness, fog and falling snow).

It is not really known at this remove from those far-off days, whether any of these secret military stores trains ever ran to HMS Artichoke, nor can the precise location of the naval facility now be identified, due to the proliferation of expensive thatched cottages as second homes in this once mainly agricultural district. There is, however, rumoured to be an elderly lady living near Gara Bridge, who in her younger days was a chubby, red-faced farmers wife, and who can recall giving some advice on the location of the secret railway to a dog, who was accompanied by four posh children.

• RMweb Premium

.....ten minutes early and I can go in the loft..............................................................well after fetching SWMBO from town anyway.Congrats England (for a change).

P

England won the Ashes and Australia beat the All Blacks. A good each-way bet for me there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, 'Chocolate Brownie' was in fact the secret telegraph code for the experimental military 'Rhino' type of bogie stores van, used to secretly transport military stores, in secret, from a secret storage facility approximately one mile from the main line between Box Tunnel and Bathford Halt, to 'HMS Artichoke', a land-based Royal Navy training facility located deep in the South Hams and accessed off a secret spur inside Sorley Tunnel, known only to the Admiralty and Enid Blyton.

Such trains were only ever supposed to run at night, when there was a full moon and an 'H' in the month. The booked motive power was a pair of Black 5s, specially loaned by the LMS, due to the fact that this was the only type of locomotive that the Officer commanding HMS Artichoke could correctly recognise (this is believed to be the origin of 'The Captain's Black 5 Test', which was used extensively post-war to train British Railways Traffic Management Trainees in the art of locomotive recognition during darkness, fog and falling snow).

It is not really known at this remove from those far-off days, whether any of these secret military stores trains ever ran to HMS Artichoke, nor can the precise location of the naval facility now be identified, due to the proliferation of expensive thatched cottages as second homes in this once mainly agricultural district. There is, however, rumoured to be an elderly lady living near Gara Bridge, who in her younger days was a chubby, red-faced farmers wife, and who can recall giving some advice on the location of the secret railway to a dog, who was accompanied by four posh children.

Thanks Tim, you nearly made me (arti)choke on my Laphroiag with that one.

Why can't the All Blacks have the Ashes this time?

They probably had a better chance than Australia this week...

• RMweb Premium

Easily corrected....

attachicon.gifsouthern pacifics.jpg

I have that very nice print, L.E. , framed and  on an upstairs wall. It was my present to me for my 65th (and no it wasn't ten years ago thanks...............) birthday, not my 65th layout design.

I believe Mr Hawkins is one of the best artists when it comes to loco's and railway scenes, however it has an error and it concerns the caption.

I shall invite entry to the competition to spot the error, however Spams can only enter by PM to me as he will get it immediately.

If GWR fans don't understand what the picture is all about then never mind; medication is available.

A8se.

• RMweb Premium

This has been delayed due to the promise of a all I can eat Chinese buffet lunch.However even after 28 years of wedded bliss swmbo gets the wrong engine on my card.Tractor looks familiar though.

attachicon.gifwartime summer-800x800.jpeg

Lovely picture, however there are numerous errors in this one as well.

The person who spots the most errors (on the picture....) can have a free ticket to Trent Bridge for tomorrow.

Ar8e.

P.S. Achtung, M.G.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifwartime summer-800x800.jpeg

That picture could go in the "how realistic are your models" thread... ;-p

• RMweb Premium

I have that very nice print, L.E. , framed and  on an upstairs wall. It was my present to me for my 65th (and no it wasn't ten years ago thanks...............) birthday, not my 65th layout design.

I believe Mr Hawkins is one of the best artists when it comes to loco's and railway scenes, however it has an error and it concerns the caption.

I shall invite entry to the competition to spot the error, however Spams can only enter by PM to me as he will get it immediately.

If GWR fans don't understand what the picture is all about then never mind; medication is available.

A8se.

Depends what the caption is... I'm assuming it's either something to do with:

- loco name not matching the number

- The date not being right for the loco condition

- The direction the train is said to be heading is wrong

- The origin of the service being wrong...

• RMweb Premium

A8se.

Found the caption to the card:

"Train Birthday Card - Battle of Britain / West Country and Merchant Navy Class Southern Region Pacifics at Exeter Central by Philip D. Hawkins

At Exeter Central an un-rebuilt West Country class, 34015 Exmouth and rebuilt Merchant Navy 35005 Canadian Pacific meet. Two of the last steam locomotives to run on British metals, 35005 is happily preserved in mainline order while 34015 was removed from service in April 1967 and sadly scrapped that September. 34015 is best known for being one of the last locomotives to run on the Somerset and Dorset through Evercreech Junction on a RCTS Rail Tour in 1966.

As one of the finest railway artists, Philip D. West produces an atmosphere few can. Any lover of steam will appreciate this railway engine birthday and greeting card."

Note the very last line of the caption GWR fans!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

True story to put horror in the hearts of all true Southern steam enthusiasts. A friend of mine had just returned from visiting the GCR, when he was approached by a local friend, who claimed to have made a similar journey, and passed a BR green diesel on a low-loader. Somewhat puzzled, my friend asked this individual if they had any more details. 'Why yes', was the response, 'it was called Wells'.

• RMweb Premium

Depends what the caption is... I'm assuming it's either something to do with:

- loco name not matching the number

- The date not being right for the loco condition

- The direction the train is said to be heading is wrong

- The origin of the service being wrong...

OK Spams. that is an excellent attempt. I'll give you a clue; it is supposed to depict October 1960.

Over to you (by the way, even I noticed the error so it must be really easy; however it was your amazing database that had given me the information some time ago).

Quackers. 

Edited by Mallard60022