A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon chaps, just back from an outing to the Great Central Railway. Ivatt 2MT, 8f and smelly diesels Bo-Bo thing on duty.

Wandering along on of the platforms I saw this old advert.

post-6675-0-98380900-1439653340_thumb.jpg

Looks like you have to be older and not very happy to not like Marmalade... I did wonder which of the fine dashing chaps was Quackers.

My other question is, does eating Spangles give you sparkling white teeth?:

post-6675-0-07924900-1439653650_thumb.jpg

A final one for those who like a train to be in every post:

post-6675-0-83893600-1439653767_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Seen on Farcebook ,I'm currently regretting not pre-ordering the new Hornby King. ;) Neal Ball and Sidecar Racer of this parish have a beauty to come in their chosen livery.

It's going to be a toss up between the Hornby and the Hattons version , I might wait until I can see the finished article .

I still have my SEF kit one to fill a role when needed .

And this if I ever get it painted .

post-6765-0-47747900-1439656193_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It's going to be a toss up between the Hornby and the Hattons version , I might wait until I can see the finished article .

I still have my SEF kit one to fill a role when needed .

And this if I ever get it painted .

attachicon.gifDSCN4422.jpg

Cor, that's very nice. However I prefer cheese and pickle to fill my roll.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon chaps, just back from an outing to the Great Central Railway. Ivatt 2MT, 8f and smelly diesels Bo-Bo thing on duty.

Wandering along on of the platforms I saw this old advert.

attachicon.gifrps20150815_135304.jpg

Looks like you have to be older and not very happy to not like Marmalade... I did wonder which of the fine dashing chaps was Quackers.

My other question is, does eating Spangles give you sparkling white teeth?:

attachicon.gifrps20150815_164625.jpg

A final one for those who like a train to be in every post:

attachicon.gifrps20150815_164849.jpg

The middle one, when I was a GI.

Q

• RMweb Premium

That Austin has obviously  been got at by someone with a knowledge of high octane fuel and superchargers - I blame those American servicemen myself.

How else could it have driven from one side of the bridge to halfway down the off ramp in the time taken for a crack express to  draw one engine and one carriage under the same bridge............not under wheezy Austin power alone..........

Soon they'll be racing them down old airfields all over the country at places like Blackbushe, Long Marston, RAF Crail and Poddington.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yup, it has gone.So, Rob, would you remind me what your track radius is mate, on curves at the end of yer shed. Tis just that I have had a dream and it involves being a Hermit.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Yup, it has gone.So, Rob, would you remind me what your track radius is mate, on curves at the end of yer shed. Tis just that I have had a dream and it involves being a Hermit.

Quackers.

Something similar to this Phil.I think you get something similar for less than a grand.Save you a lot of time and worry too.

post-126-0-16818100-1439713436.jpeg

That Austin has obviously  been got at by someone with a knowledge of high octane fuel and superchargers - I blame those American servicemen myself.

How else could it have driven from one side of the bridge to halfway down the off ramp in the time taken for a crack express to  draw one engine and one carriage under the same bridge............not under wheezy Austin power alone..........

Soon they'll be racing them down old airfields all over the country at places like Blackbushe, Long Marston, RAF Crail and Poddington.....

I seem to remember that, in the immediate post-war period, the embryo BMC supplied manufacturing tooling to the Japanese for the production of the A40 Devon. The idea being a politician's gimmick to help bump start the recovery of the Japanese motor industry. Nice idea, I wonder what became of it.

PB

• Like 1

The early 1950's Austins were quite a neat family with the Baby, the Devon, the Hereford and the swish Atlantic. Paw had the Somerset with very soft front shockers....It was like being in a North Sea convoy. They rusted to a degree (sills and front wings etc), nevertheless, they pre-dated the age of the rust-bucket which Vauxhall and Ford turned into a fine art! 

Oops, just realised I am guilty of taking the thread off-topic......S o r r e e e e

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quackers.

Oh praise be! The duck has seen the light. :yes:

post-98-0-01173500-1439722995_thumb.jpg

Another ECML layout to come then. Don't bother with Retford though Phil, I think someone may already have done it. :jester:

Sorry for hijack Rob, but it was irresistible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh praise be! The duck has seen the light. :yes:

attachicon.gifhermit.jpg

Another ECML layout to come then. Don't bother with Retford though Phil, I think someone may already have done it. :jester:

Sorry for hijack Rob, but it was irresistible.

No problem but if we're going to have that regions engines on this thread , I don't suppose you have the A3 Flying Fox in apple green do you.....

• Like 1

I haven't read your aims for Brent Rob but going of the images posted I presume you are covering roughly a 28 years period from the early 1930's GREAT UU WESTERN through the GW Roundel to postwar G UU W  to around 1958 with early crest on locos and BR brown & cream Mk.I's....?

• RMweb Gold

I haven't read your aims for Brent Rob but going of the images posted I presume you are covering roughly a 28 years period from the early 1930's GREAT UU WESTERN through the GW Roundel to postwar G UU W  to around 1958 with early crest on locos and BR brown & cream Mk.I's....?

I run two periods here 1947 and 1957.I succumbed to the very nice Bachmann Mk1s when first released.They form the Royal Duchy that my BR Castle pulls.I have a parcels too for then but I need another BR engine (Hall/ Grange/Manor) to cover that.My main period of '47 needs more stock but most of my engines have the correct insignia but I lack the courage to change others.My pre ordered King has the G badge W livery.

• Like 1