A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Here’s the paradox – If we get impatient and demand our models within three months of announcement, we will get what we get.

On the other hand, if we can bear to wait eighteen months and the manufacturer is minded to engage with people (who are cleverer than me) who have a knowledge of the subject we may get something more generally accurate – but still not an exact replica of a certain vehicle on a certain day.

I’ll live with it coming along in a few weeks and then decide if I have the talent to make a few changes if I feel it necessary. I’ve fitted enough roof ventilators in Comet coaches over the years.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, BenL said:

The prototype photo is of an S8, the model is of an S9 and so is correct in having self-contained buffers.

On closer examination, not very good self-contained buffers. Obviously compromised by mould removal requirements and thus having a taper to the housing and no lip around the outer end 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

May I add my congratulations to this threads @BenL @Islesy team Ipswich getting to the Premier League and of course to @Mallard60022 Plymouth Argyle for staying up, at least I can go to one game next season.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Sport reference?

Yup…

(of course, to keep ‘on brand’, we are the Tractor Boys!)

IMG_0805.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Sport reference?

Afraid so, Captain. Something to do with 22 grown men chasing a bag of wind like bees round a honeypot. Baffling. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Afraid so, Captain. Something to do with 22 grown men chasing a bag of wind like bees round a honeypot. Baffling. 

Indeed. I know very little about 'sport' and care even less, especially from the moment that the impertinent young fellow deposed Bjorn Borg.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Indeed. I know very little about 'sport' and care even less, 

Well the offside law in football is now more complicated than Dean Churchward brake gear if that helps.🙄

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Indeed. I know very little about 'sport' and care even less, especially from the moment that the impertinent young fellow deposed Bjorn Borg.

Football today is not how it used to be:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

May I add my congratulations to this threads @BenL @Islesy team Ipswich getting to the Premier League and of course to @Mallard60022 Plymouth Argyle for staying up, at least I can go to one game next season.😀

How the #### we did that I do not know. Thanks Rob.

Mad Duck.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Your Manager is a Genius.

P

I remember as a young lad going down to Nene Park, Irthlingborough one evening to watch Bobby Robson (Later Sir) turn on the new pitch flood lights at the then Irthlingborough Diamonds.

Ipswich Town managed by Robson,  put out a team playing against a Diamonds celebrity team including Wayne Larkins IMMSMC.

Somewhere, I have Bobby Robson's and Brian Talbot's autograph. The latter would go on to manage Rushden & Diamonds under the ownership of Max Griggs of Doc Martin's fame.

Congratulations to the Tractor Boys. Well deserved ...

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Irthlingborough! A place name I had forgotten! In the BR HQ open-plan office full of support staff for TOC Privatisation, 1994-6, there seemed to be several young ladies who lived there, commuting from Wellingborough. Must have been a good peak-hour service. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Indeed. I know very little about 'sport'

My kids gave me that look  when I told them that proper sport stops for lunch and afternoon tea.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, RobAllen said:

My kids gave me that look  when I told them that proper sport stops for lunch and afternoon tea.

…and rain and bad light…

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 46444 said:

I remember as a young lad going down to Nene Park, Irthlingborough one evening to watch Bobby Robson (Later Sir) turn on the new pitch flood lights at the then Irthlingborough Diamonds.

Ipswich Town managed by Robson put out a team playing against a Diamonds celebrity team including Wayne Larkins IMMSC.

Somewhere, I have Bobby Robson's and Brian Talbot's autograph. The latter would go on to manage Rushden & Diamonds under the ownership of Max Griggs of Doc Martin's fame.

Congratulations to the Tractor Boys. Well deserved ...

Cheers,

Mark 

My claim to fame is I played for Rushden Town and we were 'so good' (well I was anyway), they decided to meld with Diamonds. However I was moving down to Epsom/Ewell as that happened and never got to play for them, or get some free Doc Martens.  Think I remember their Ground (Diamonds). It had a Stand? Or was that Town?

P

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Seen before but the photos were lost in the crash, my late fathers O gauge S8 number 2145. Built from the WEP kit by Chris Quilliam to a very high standard. I'm sure I have the destructions somewhere and if I remember correctly came with a roof plan for the furniture. Maybe if I can find it someone like @Harlequin could redraw it to 4mm scale.😉If anyone's interest I can turn it over to shew the undergubbins.

2145.JPG.98210ecc9ba667c1445687bba154b453.JPG

2145.JPGa.JPG.c0ad3bcf55acbbf5358dda320b613bfe.JPG

I'd forgotten just how good that was Rob.

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

My claim to fame is I played for Rushden Town and we were 'so good' (well I was anyway), they decided to meld with Diamonds. However I was moving down to Epsom/Ewell as that happened and never got to play for them, or get some free Doc Martens.  Think I remember their Ground (Diamonds). It had a Stand? Or was that Town?

P

I remember you telling me of your Rushden Town glory days Phil. Great stuff.

Diamonds had a really good club house/small stand at the time. Town had a stand as well as far as I can remember.

Perhaps you were lucky to escape the Doc Marten's years. Sadly it all ended in tears and Nene Park has since been felled.

Out of the ashes, I believe Rushden & Diamonds still exist. Perhaps in what was known as the United Counties League.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Irthlingborough! A place name I had forgotten! In the BR HQ open-plan office full of support staff for TOC Privatisation, 1994-6, there seemed to be several young ladies who lived there, commuting from Wellingborough. Must have been a good peak-hour service. 

You're probably right Ian.

Wellingborough had an hourly service to LStP. 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 46444 said:

I remember you telling me of your Rushden Town glory days Phil. Great stuff.

Diamonds had a really good club house/small stand at the time. Town had a stand as well as far as I can remember.

Perhaps you were lucky to escape the Doc Marten's years. Sadly it all ended in tears and Nene Park has since been felled.

Out of the ashes, I believe Rushden & Diamonds still exist. Perhaps in what was known as the United Counties League.

Cheers,

Mark 

My apologies for repetition Mark! I'm like the Old geezer at the start of the Ancient Mariner; anyone around gets the story!

I think that was the sort of League level we were in back then? 

Happy days when I could still do more than stand up and keep breathing!

ATB

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Seen before but the photos were lost in the crash, my late fathers O gauge S8 number 2145. Built from the WEP kit by Chris Quilliam to a very high standard. I'm sure I have the destructions somewhere and if I remember correctly came with a roof plan for the furniture. Maybe if I can find it someone like @Harlequin could redraw it to 4mm scale.😉If anyone's interest I can turn it over to shew the undergubbins.

2145.JPG.98210ecc9ba667c1445687bba154b453.JPG

2145.JPGa.JPG.c0ad3bcf55acbbf5358dda320b613bfe.JPG

Hi Rob, If you can find it, please PM it to me and I’ll have a look.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

....at the start of the Ancient Mariner...

As opposed to the sadly missed renowned Pilgrim and Tractor Boy, Paul Mariner.

Bringing things around nicely to Ipswich Town and all things Janner...

Meanwhile, back in the South Hams....

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2