Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

From the amount written in the manual, I get the impression that the GOG seem to favour three-links and then AJs.

Possibly because three links are the "most realistic" for the era that the majority of current modellers in the Guild are working in?

There is also a tendency amongst a number of Guild members to "build for display" rather than "build for operating", where how easy or difficult uncoupling may be does not come into the equation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having a day off after a frantic couple of weeks. Was going to have another crack at the kits but decided that some fresh air in the garden was a better idea. I working my way back into the modelling room though, so progress should resume. 

• RMweb Premium

The box:

post-6675-0-98665000-1367099366_thumb.jpg

I had a quick scan of the instructions, identified all the parts, and then decided to depart from the defined order somewhat.

First I fixed the solebars and frame to the floor

post-6675-0-18089600-1367099299_thumb.jpg

Then fixed the sides on

post-6675-0-94196700-1367099353_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-24457200-1367099334_thumb.jpg

A while back I noticed a photo on here somewhere (can't remember whose thread), where somebody had cut the ties of the bottom of the axle guards. Seemed a bit weird at the time but, having build one wagon to the instructions, and struggled getting the wheels in and out of the axleboxes and then had a tough time keeping the floating axleboxes moving, I worked out why. With the ties cut off, you can assemble the whole axlebox as a single unit and also slide in and out the axle units. This helps with access and also means there's no chance of gluing the whole thing up. The wheels are also free to be dunked in gun blue.

So here are the modified axleguards with ties removed.

post-6675-0-66163300-1367099313_thumb.jpg

Here are the four axlebox units made up and setting nicely.

post-6675-0-38807800-1367100339_thumb.jpg

Wagon with some lead shot glued in (spot the deliberate mistake)

post-6675-0-49944600-1367100344_thumb.jpg

Axleboxes and wheelsets trial fitted, some filing required to get a nice smooth fit. Brakes fitted and, ooops, the loops need to go where the lead has been glued... 

post-6675-0-67186400-1367100356_thumb.jpg

Brakelevers fitted. these were filed down to reduce the cross-section.Would brass be better here? I didn't use the supplied plastic rod for the brake mechanism but used some brass rod instead. 

post-6675-0-50455800-1367100348_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-50222800-1367100352_thumb.jpg

(The axles are parallel, it's the lens distortion on the close up)

Ready for the parts to be painted tomorrow.

• Like 9

The box:

attachicon.gifIMAG4247.jpg

I had a quick scan of the instructions, identified all the parts, and then decided to depart from the defined order somewhat.

First I fixed the solebars and frame to the floor

attachicon.gifIMAG4248.jpg

Then fixed the sides on

attachicon.gifIMAG4249.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4250.jpg

A while back I noticed a photo on here somewhere (can't remember whose thread), where somebody had cut the ties of the bottom of the axle guards. Seemed a bit weird at the time but, having build one wagon to the instructions, and struggled getting the wheels in and out of the axleboxes and then had a tough time keeping the floating axleboxes moving, I worked out why. With the ties cut off, you can assemble the whole axlebox as a single unit and also slide in and out the axle units. This helps with access and also means there's no chance of gluing the whole thing up. The wheels are also free to be dunked in gun blue.

So here are the modified axleguards with ties removed.

attachicon.gifIMAG4251.jpg

Here are the four axlebox units made up and setting nicely.

attachicon.gifIMG_0038 - Copy.JPG

Wagon with some lead shot glued in (spot the deliberate mistake)

attachicon.gifIMG_0039 - Copy.JPG

Axleboxes and wheelsets trial fitted, some filing required to get a nice smooth fit. Brakes fitted and, ooops, the loops need to go where the lead has been glued... 

attachicon.gifIMG_0040 - Copy.JPG

Brakelevers fitted. these were filed down to reduce the cross-section.Would brass be better here? I didn't use the supplied plastic rod for the brake mechanism but used some brass rod instead. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0041 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0042 - Copy.JPG

(The axles are parallel, it's the lens distortion on the close up)

Ready for the parts to be painted tomorrow.

I really like your marble modelling block!!

• RMweb Premium

This morning I grabbed a quick hour and started finishing the SR Van off. Ok, so 50 mins modelling, and 10 mins rolling the LMS open up and down 3' of track.  :locomotive:

But now a slight pause while we take the kids to Twycross Zoo (and leave them there if they don't behave!). 

• Like 3

I have a cream bathroom tile used for a similar purpose.  We were on holiday a few years back and there was a box of about 4 in the bottom of the airing cupboard left over from when the bathroom was obviously decorated.

We simply decided we wanted a souvenir from our holiday... well I did anyway.

I have a cream bathroom tile used for a similar purpose.  We were on holiday a few years back and there was a box of about 4 in the bottom of the airing cupboard left over from when the bathroom was obviously decorated.

We simply decided we wanted a souvenir from our holiday... well I did anyway.

I use sheets of glass

• RMweb Gold

Getting cold at the zoo, surely time to go home now? 

Whats it like at Twycross these days as its a few years now since I went.Its the nearest zoo to me and about a 30 minutes drive.Still got lots of monkeys?

• RMweb Premium

Whats it like at Twycross these days as its a few years now since I went.Its the nearest zoo to me and about a 30 minutes drive.Still got lots of monkeys?

It's had a major revamp since we last went there. Still lots of primates but my son was gutted because the lions and giraffes have gone. Lots of new stuff but he liked the lions and giraffes.... Good day out though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I really like your marble modelling block!!

Mine's bigger! 

And that is a 7mm J77 chassis on it, the 'flat surface' is a 12" square chopping block (or whatever they call them) that came with the worktops for a kitchen at work, the kitchen has since been ripped out and I 'liberated' this from the skip... I have one of the small samples too for 4mm stuff.

post-7104-0-02019900-1367260265_thumb.jpg

• Like 2