Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back Chris.

Glad to see you are a fully paid up member of the burnt finger brigade now!  

I too have an 80W iron and have been know to resort to a 125W iron on occasions or even a micro gas torch.  Brass is a wonderful heat sink.....  There is also a 25W iron for fine / electrical work.  Have been know to work with both at times, especially when working with whitemetal,80W to tin the brass and 25W to fix the whitemetal component. Beware knitting with the cables though.

So the $64,000 question, what is your plan now that Kernow have dropped the Beattie Well Tank in 7mm?

Dare I mention I actually put some moisturiser on my fingers as they were a tad sore from the nasty sharp and scorchio hot brass? Mmm, best not. 

Glad I went for the 80W, it warms the room up nicely and certainly pumps heat into big umps of brass quickly. Learnt my lesson though putting a pint of beer next to the flux bottle. Flux in beer = not nice!

Ah, those lovely Beattie Well tanks. That announcement was certainly a torpedo to the engine room but, it looks like I'll have to build one instead. Pity but it does now mean I can claim that RTR in this scale is cheating ;-p

• RMweb Premium

A great move would be to invest in one of these beauties instead http://www.lionhearttrains.com/news.php?page=news :imsohappy:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• RMweb Premium

Shedmaster ( laurie Griffin ) do a kit for one in brass. Roxey do one in cast whitemetal. Will look much better than one of the pannier thingies.

I'd found the two options already but think it would be worth building a few more wagon kits first. I'm pleased with the the clay wagon but I don't think I'm up to loco building standard yet, especially as the BWT is full of funny little shapes. 

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back  :blum:

Nice job with that clay wagon, don't paint it though, I like the shiny brassy finish.

Oh and apparently she also says that I've wasted my time with the brass kit as, now it's in primer, it looks just like the plastic kits...

I give up already. 

• RMweb Premium

Better still,  model it like this......

attachicon.gifimg202.jpg

BR clay hood, Parkandillick, 1983.

Now, for a genuine piece of B&WR, how about this from near Dunmere Junction, again 1983.

attachicon.gifimg204.jpg

Note the subtle weathering on the wooden key.  I have a genuine LSWR chair (not that one!!) if more details are required.

I'm sure somebody said "ooops" when the overturned wagon occurred (or the Cornish equivalent).

Nice chair, that would look nice in my train room. Not quite up to track stage yet and I'm trying to decide whether to go for the reduced flangeway option (31.5mm?) as folk think it seems to be much less prone to wheel drop over crossings. I know that Debs makes the gauges but it would mean that the common crossing in my C&L point kit would be no good. 

Decisions decisions. 

but it would mean that the common crossing in my C&L point kit would be no good. 

Decisions decisions. 

Ohhhh no it doesn't, you will just need to separate the wing rails from the vee and re-solder the wing rails closer to the vee using the flange way jig that Debs sells, simples.

ATH,

Martyn.

Long time no post but I'm back, suitably refreshed, and progressing well with stock for Pencarrow.

The most challenging (for me) has been the protracted build of a WEP clay wagon. Perhaps not the best place to start with brass kits but the process has certainly been 'character forming'. I soon realised that any hope of building the thing with my stock 25W Antex iron was a non starter - it simply could not put enough heat into the large pieces of brass. I read around a bit and many folk recommended the 40W size as being suitable, so I got an 80W one for Xmas. This has made things significantly easier, although a little more unkind on the fingers!

So here's a few few progress shots taken during the build. 

The homemade soldering station (ok, two blocks of wood):

attachicon.gifIMAG4828.jpg

The abused tools pressed into action:

attachicon.gifIMAG4829.jpg

Soldering stuff and the new iron:

attachicon.gifIMAG4830.jpg

Random building photos (must find the early stages ones).

attachicon.gifIMAG4835.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4836.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4837.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4838.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4839.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4856.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4860.jpg

A few of the wagon in the shiney state prior to painting. 

attachicon.gifIMAG4867.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4866.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4865.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4864.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4863.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4862.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG4861.jpg

(and yes, the end tipping door does open)

The wagon is now all cleaned up and primed in grey and I've moved onto the next kit - a Toad E...

Very nice job - young spams.

Build a Loco next !

oh so it`s not the tyre dump near Selby on fire that I can smell it`s Chris`s fingers, Happy new skin year then chris.

esso that's what a 37 looks like when you cut it down a box on two axles ?

welcome back bud and great to see the kit building reaping rewards top work there.

• RMweb Premium

Ohhhh no it doesn't, you will just need to separate the wing rails from the vee and re-solder the wing rails closer to the vee using the flange way jig that Debs sells, simples.

ATH,

Martyn.

I agree with Martyn, move the wing rails in, use a straight edge against the "Vee" as well as the flangeway jig to make sure that the knuckle is in the right place. The other one has to be done by eye though.

Happy finger singeing. Or you could invest in a RSU.

SS

Excellent updates. I built Jim's Toad E a couple of years ago as my second (first successful) essay in etched brass. I'm not sure I'd describe it as "simple" although the lack of much in the way of brake gear certainly helps. The handrails took forever though. My first loco (Connoisseur Y7) was much less fiddly by comparison :).

Given the choice between brass and whitemetal for a loco kit, I'd personally go for brass, mainly because it feels more like "proper" engineering and also because it's much harder to knacker a part beyond redemption which, for someone as clumsy and careless as me, is a major consideration. The downside is that there are more parts to assemble but, if you treat the build as entertainment in itself rather than purely a means to an end, that's not necessarily a bad thing.