The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

April Fool Jokes

chrisf

• RMweb Gold

Gasps of delight as Simon Kohlers replacement at Hornby has been unveiled to the public.

Delight for shareholders as costs saved - no more box drop tests as buyers will simply throw the box away as soon as they get the model :beee:

Not everyone likes the Grauniad, but this does rank as a spoof among spoofs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gnmeducationcentre/archive-educational-resource-april-2012

Can't imagine The Sun coming up with anything like this though without making a boob out of it................................

ISTR the Railway Magazine did an article about new electro-diesels being cobbled together from Class 76's & Class 50's and topically, one of these was used as the illustrated "prototype"

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=262940

• RMweb Premium

Not everyone likes the Grauniad, but this does rank as a spoof among spoofs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gnmeducationcentre/archive-educational-resource-april-2012

I see there is a railway system marked on the map. Any suggestions as to the gauge, type of locos and rolling stock that would be used? For the gauge I would suggest 4' 1.5" due to the engineer who laid the line being myopic and having broken his only pair of glasses.

I see there is a railway system marked on the map. Any suggestions as to the gauge, type of locos and rolling stock that would be used? For the gauge I would suggest 4' 1.5" due to the engineer who laid the line being myopic and having broken his only pair of glasses.

Probably:

• bullet trains

(running at the same Times every hour)

• RMweb Gold

Probably disc brakes - to enable the train to easily come to a Full Stop. And using oil by Comma, no doubt.

• RMweb Premium

Probably disc brakes - to enable the train to easily come to a Full Stop. And using oil by Comma, no doubt.

Comma? Perhaps the line is going to be 'Beechinged', closed & replaced by one of these?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourne-region/cars-vans-utes/wanted-commer-van-mr-whippy-van-/1016039130

A favourite of mine was one in one of the French mags. It concerned an attempt to rescue, then preserve, one of the American-built 1-4-Rs which were lost when the ship carrying them sank in 1945 or '46. The article was illustrated with underwater shots of a barnacle-encrusted loco, surrounded by waving fronds of seaweed. The effect was only spoilt in the very last shot, when one of the author's goldfish appeared...

The Modeller spoof of the Underground line below the floorboards was well-executed; the real giveaway was the claim that sections were cut out of joists to allow the tracks to pass.

The Sans Serif railway used Pico track and stock...

Happy April 1st to you all. (If I have my timezones correct - it is now April 1 - hard to tell with daylight savings.)

At one point I was tempted to write a parody press release (embargoed until April 1) stating something like "Kader Holdings to Acquire Hornby PLC for Undisclosed Terms", "New Chief Executive announced for Hornby PLC", or "Hornby makes Western Pullman Announcement" but with all the trouble that Hornby is having lately with QA problems and management shakeups I just couldn't kick 'em while they are down.

I hope the 2013 financial year is a far better one for them than 2012 was.

EDIT: On second thought April 1st is still probably an hour away.

What about the story (by "Steam Railway"?) of Ayers Rock (Uluru) in Oz being sculpted into the shape of "Mallard"?

One to offend a lot of folk, that one!!!

Cheers,

John E.

Dunno, I wouldn't mind in the least, except it should be done as 3801

• RMweb Premium

I liked the one Model railroader did a few years ago on the "Digital 5" control system. They even made a video.  Answering all the complaints about current (pun!) systems, the Digital 5 system used all 5 digits .... to push trains around the track.

RAIL did a good wind up about Barcodes replacing loco numbers, I believe there was picture of a 31 suitably amended. Drivers were to be given barcode readers to find their loco. 

This might be turning up on BBC Radio 4 this morning .....

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Just heard this broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Today Programme :

NYMR are pioneering a new smart 'phone app which enables you to photograph a large barcode displayed on the front of a loco (Southern S15 No 825 was the alleged guinea pig).

The loco's identity (running Number), exact location and speed are automatically uploaded to a national data base, Facebook and Twitter instantly.

Pete Waterman didn't think the idea would be popular with enthusiasts.

Nice try, but I'm trying to figure out how come I'm alert enough to spot the AF at this hour of the morning?!

Regards,

John

Archived