Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Who knows!

There are so many rumours about class 70s floating round the net

Strong rumour that 099 is moving to Washwood Heath (from Eastleigh) soon, but as you say, only rumours until something happens although one group has posted timings.

• RMweb Premium

Strong rumour that 099 is moving to Washwood Heath (from Eastleigh) soon, but as you say, only rumours until something happens although one group has posted timings.

Do I need to buy transfers??

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Jim,

Please excuse my ignorance but for some time I have been wondering about "sinfins"

What are they please - is it the tank type, contents or the location involved please?

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi

Please excuse my ignorance but for some time I have been wondering about "sinfins"

What are they please - is it the tank type, contents or the location involved please?

Sinfin is an area of Derby where the Rolls Royce aero engine factory is located. The "sinfins" are the nickname for the trains of TEA tank wagons (maximum 9 of them), loaded with aviation fuel, for jet engine testing as far as I know, that run Wednesday only (they leave in the evening) from Grangemouth oil refinery to Sinfin, as required (sometimes other days as well. In fact this year they've run every week day... but never more than 2 trains in a week).  It used to be a DBS operated train, from Warrington (the tanks reaching Warrington by wagonload service), but now it's Colas operated.

Andrew

PS - I did go down to the station for them yesterday morning (at 06.30... yawn!), but I didn't post any photos because they weren't much different to the one's posted before... just a bit more cloud and one less tank!!

Edited by maudgca

Hi

Sinfin is an area of Derby where the Rolls Royce aero engine factory is located. The "sinfins" are the nickname for the trains of TEA tank wagons (maximum 9 of them), loaded with aviation fuel, for jet engine testing as far as I know, that run Wednesday only (they leave in the evening) from Grangemouth oil refinery to Sinfin, as required (sometimes other days as well. In fact this year they've run every week day... but never more than 2 trains in a week).  It used to be a DBS operated train, from Warrington (the tanks reaching Warrington by wagonload service), but now it's Colas operated.

Andrew

Andrew,

Many thanks for the info.

Modern era is not my bag, I prefer 1955-65 - however I do find Jim thread an interesting insight into how railways run and make a point of following this thread,

Regards,

Dave

Don't think you'll be on the 86 Jim,

Colas don't have it anymore I don't think. When ETL gave up they stopped leasing it I think, the poor engine is out of action in Barrow Hill

• RMweb Premium

Double 56 on 6Z70 Ribblehead-Chirk today, but didn't get to see it. Obvious rumour is that the Carlisle-Chirk will go to two grids via the S&C so that it can load up to the normal 20/21 allowed for a 66.

Any comments Jim?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I' e got a pair of them on sunday but i'm going WCML with i as i still dont sign the s+c, i'm sure ive got a southbound job next week too so that will also be going WCML too

Double 56 on 6Z70 Ribblehead-Chirk today, but didn't get to see it. Obvious rumour is that the Carlisle-Chirk will go to two grids via the S&C so that it can load up to the normal 20/21 allowed for a 66.

Any comments Jim?

Cheers,

Mick

Passing Halton (Runcorn) earlier http://mark5812.smugmug.com/Trains2013-1/July-2013/30338804_bxPstH#!i=2616212060&k=zQQSHs3&lb=1&s=A

Mark

http://mark5812.smugmug.com

Don't think you'll be on the 86 Jim,

Colas don't have it anymore I don't think. When ETL gave up they stopped leasing it I think, the poor engine is out of action in Barrow Hill

Only out of action because it needed GSM-R with the other electrics. With no operators interested in AC traction it's not worth paying for GSM-R to a loco for it to sit idle.

http://mark5812.smugmug.com/Trains2013-1/July-2013/30338804_bxPstH#!i=2614798223&k=LBhsxQM&lb=1&s=A

Mark

http://mark5812.smugmug.com

I' e got a pair of them on sunday but i'm going WCML with i as i still dont sign the s+c, i'm sure ive got a southbound job next week too so that will also be going WCML too

What days you passing through Carnforth next week? Or is it just Sunday? I may head down and take a few photos?

Ian

Edited by 11B

Thanks for the heads up, do you know the numbers of them and are you booking on at Warrington?

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

i was looking at my bachy 70 earlier, a respray into colas colours is probably quite simple but the amount of ohle stickers and little warning notices on it is unreal!

anyway onto today, did a bit of road learning to didcot again, first up i went over to moor st to get the 10:55 to banbury then i had to go to reading using the XC cab pass then travel back to didcot on a fgw hst (passenger) to didcot so i could have a look round, i then got a 165 back to oxford before getting another XC voyager back to new st where it all went belly up as usual, the train back to crewe was 30 mins late, the manchester was 30 late due to no driver too so everyone piled on the desiro which ended up rammed all the way back to crewe

some pics....

started at moor st

DSCF4126.jpg

DSCF4127.jpg

and on to banbury to wait for my train to reading

DSCF4128.jpg

DSCF4129.jpg

and into reading, had about 15 mins there so got some pics from the new bridge, which having had a good look at it is very impressive, if somewhat lacking passenger service info in strategic places (but not as bad as new st at the moment)

looking back from the new bridge towards the west

DSCF4133.jpg

quick question for the stationmaster, noticed on the way in there are some sort of white boxes at most signals, pretty much where TPWS grids are normally located as can be seen on the UP line just beyond the facing point, what are they?

DSCF4135.jpg

smart looking unit in FGW livery, a class 180

DSCF4139.jpg

my train back to didcot

DSCF4140.jpg

onto didcot, only 1 pic, ews 66 in the yard area

DSCF4141.jpg

and onto oxford, spent a bit of time here, went into the box for a look round, had a good chat with the signallers, always worth doing in my opinion

DSCF4144.jpg

DSCF4146.jpg

couple of old BR blue vans in the goods platform

DSCF4145.jpg

and then onwards back to crewe via new st

tomorrow, craven arms to conduct an EWS 66 off site into the goods loop, hopefully get to drive it, first EWS 66 if i do!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

and into reading, had about 15 mins there so got some pics from the new bridge, which having had a good look at it is very impressive, if somewhat lacking passenger service info in strategic places (but not as bad as new st at the moment)

looking back from the new bridge towards the west

DSCF4133.jpg

quick question for the stationmaster, noticed on the way in there are some sort of white boxes at most signals, pretty much where TPWS grids are normally located as can be seen on the UP line just beyond the facing point, what are they?

DSCF4135.jpg

It's an ATP 'ramp' Jim you can see one - minus the bit that does the actual inductance to the on train fitting in my pic below -

post-6859-0-55897700-1373063651_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

this evening was a nice little job in the sunshine to conduct an enginners train out a possession into the good loop at craven arms

a few pics of

the evening

the view from the box, basically this weekend craven arms is sitting between 2 possessions, the 153 is stabled on the down line in readiness to work a service over the heart of wales line which diverges just beyond the platform, it was hoped that the train leaving the possession would be able to work into the down platform before crossing over at the crossover beyond the 153, however the signaller couldn't get the points over as the 153 was occupying the section between the 2 signals so the interlocking wouldn't allow it so the possession train had to sit there until 19:30 after the 153 left the section (and station) towards kinghton

DSCF4151.jpg

a few pics from inside the box

DSCF4152.jpg

DSCF4153.jpg

DSCF4154.jpg

once the 153 left i walked down to the signal to meet the train, he had permission to pass the home board at danger and i was meeting him at the signal on the down (the one you can see the rear of) which i had permission to pass at danger to cross over and move towards the box

DSCF4155.jpg

looking back towards the 'box, i was to cross over towards the ground signal next to the box which i also had to pass at danger as the wrong direction move is unsignalled, for that reason the signaller also had to clip and scotch the points for the movement

DSCF4156.jpg

couple of signal views

CA23, junction signal, main line to take you towards ludlow and subsiduary towards the heart of wales line

DSCF4157.jpg

CA2, protects the crossing, an 'inner home' signal, the section being beyond the crossing

DSCF4158.jpg

and at CA2 my train came into view, driven by part time RMWebber 21Alizard, 66067 leading a train of 10 salmon wagons adn 66111 on the rear

DSCF4159.jpg

and into the good loop, we went right up to the end to clear a crossing but it didn't fit, we ended up moving back towards the 'box to get in without blocking the crossing, before the move back, note the "tail lamp" camera next tot eh loco so the box knows you are in clear as the loop is before the box

DSCF4160.jpg

after moving back towards the box it was a case of shutting down the locos and putting on some handbrakes, the rear loco 66111, one of the RETB fitted 66's, note the highland rail sticker on the side

DSCF4161.jpg

DSCF4163.jpg

and driving back past marshbrook i spotted this through the trees so i stopped and got a quick pic of it, a class 70 sandwiched between a couple of ews spoil trains, there was another one in the distance too

DSCF4169.jpg

something a bit different and the first ews 66's i've driven too

• Like 13

Hi Jim,

Taken from (nearly) the same place as your 6th shot above but over 20 years ago, 30th Aug 1991 to be precise. Was L/E to Crewe on the Glascoed-Crewe turn. Was waiting for the Central Wales to clear the section to Marshbrook ahead. The box was rebuilt to its present form in the late 90's ish by building the present structure around it  and then demolishing the old box inside the new one. I did take some photos of the process but they are not scanned yet.

post-7146-0-64639100-1373181702.jpg

My steed on that day, 37079, waiting for the road at Marshbrook. The Central Wales service still getting in the way. How we missed Church Stretton box being switched in in those days.

post-7146-0-15406900-1373182391.jpg

L/E as there was no traffic at Glascoed for Crewe. Unusual not to have brought the barrier wagons back though.

Paul J.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a box with a full complement of levers in use. So many are just a shadow of their former selves with acres of white levers where things have been 'rationalised' almost out of existence.

Best regards & keep up the good work,

Ian