Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Good to see a number of semaphores still in use...

You certainly get around the network.....

Shot 56094 at Dorrington yesterday..

Is the person in the 2nd man's seat route learning Jim?

Regards

D421 

post-17396-0-30755100-1372285650_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

thats not me on it but yes, i think its the other guy who is learning newport at the moment

i'm going to hopefully sign off as far as hereford once an assessor can get a ride out with me, struggling to get over the route south of there so definatly not putting my name to it!

• RMweb Gold

another trip to reading today, no pics though as i forgot my camera and didn't really see anything of huge interest to photograph with the phone anyway

been told i need to get banbury to didcot under my belt asap so have a few more days at it next week as well as a couple of sinfins and possibly a 47 from basford hall to ealing!

baglan train again tomorrow, learning hereford to craven arms again and working it from there north, should be 094 again

• Like 2

another trip to reading today, no pics though as i forgot my camera and didn't really see anything of huge interest to photograph with the phone anyway

been told i need to get banbury to didcot under my belt asap so have a few more days at it next week as well as a couple of sinfins and possibly a 47 from basford hall to ealing!

baglan train again tomorrow, learning hereford to craven arms again and working it from there north, should be 094 again

Where you on the Boston steels yesterday Jim with 56105?

Hi

...a couple of sinfins...

I must drag myself down to Blythe Bridge station sometime soon for the Sinfin tanks, while it's still light at 06.30 (especially if there's a 47 or 56 on them... which is unlikely????) :D

Andrew

Edited by maudgca

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I must drag myself down to Blythe Bridge station sometime soon for the Sinfin tanks, while it's still light at 06.30 (especially if there's a 47 or 56 on them... which is unlikely????) :D

Andrew

Monday and thursday next week, probably a 66 as usual though, shame you missed the 47 on it last week!

Oooh, Monday, that's different. B) If I'm awake in time, I'll check realtimetrains then venture out (weather permitting) :sungum:

I saw the 47 last week (and got a video), but only from my bathroom window. It was rather a surprise to hear something approaching at "tank time" that obviously wasn't a 66. :yahoo:

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

only 1 pic from last night, due to a possession south of gobowen the log train in front of me had to sit there until i was fuelled in chirk then i ran down light engine onto the back of his train with 56094 which then left northbound, i then took his engine (56302) back to chirk but as there is no crossover and weston rhyn has no wrong direction controls i had to run to wrexham to change ends which i had to do in the 'bidston line' platform, first time i've been in there for a long time

null-1649.jpg

• Like 12

Hi

OK, so I dragged myself out of bed at 06.00 :lazy: and went down to the station. Jim (assuming there hasn't been a roster change) turned up at 06.37 with 66850 and 8 TEAs for Sinfin.

Here he comes

66850BlytheBridge010713a.jpg

(the light grey building with green roof on the right is the former goods shed, the main station buildings once stood on the left, roughly between the end of the post & wire fence and the road, and the signal box was on the far side of the road and would have been visible over the end of the first tank)

and there he goes

66850BlytheBridge010713b.jpg

(former goods yard on the left, former cattle dock (I think) and small Network Rail compound with radio mast lost in the trees on the right near to the road/rail access point sleepers in the 4 foot, Stallington level crossing ahead of the loco, the signal box for which was on the right, the crossing keeper's house (I think it was) on the left (both now gone. The house outlived the 'box by about 15 years). In the far distance is the overbridge carrying the A50, which is the bypass for the road through the village, across the level crossing in the first picture).

You can just see on the second photo that the "Jet A1 Aviation Fuel" stickers (about half way up the barrel at the near end on the last tank) are starting to peel off around the edges. This is good, because it means that where I've accidentally pulled the corner off the homemade transfers that I'm currently applying to my rake of 5 TEAs is completely authentic :D

Andrew

Edited by maudgca
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

yeah that was me, i did give you a toot, and i tooted nearer to your landing window just in case you were there!!

a few pics from today.....

nice day to have a trip down a country branch line, oh wait.....i'm in the middle of a city!

null-1122.jpg

there are tracks there somewhere!

DSCF4107.jpg

DSCF4108.jpg

then when i got back to stoke the signaller was "playing trains" i recon as he ran me wrong direction through the up (london bound) platform which then took me on position lights onto the up goods (in the down direction) finally coming to a red next to cockshutt sidings, as seen here, a move i've never done before, and indeed didn't know it could be done

DSCF4113.jpg

from there trains can continue on the up goods as far as etruria before taking a position light towards grange jn which is the old entrance to shelton steel works where they can then set back into etruria sidings, however i was signalled back out of the goods to continue northbound, a move which involves crossing a ladder onto the down goods which is the only way out northbound, you cannot cross over onto the main, here is the ladder

DSCF4115.jpg

found this in the trees at cockshutt too, some sort of engineers wagon

DSCF4114.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

found this in the trees at cockshutt too, some sort of engineers wagon

DSCF4114.jpg

looks like a ZCA "Sea Urchin". Once very common, but now a dying breed. Built on various underframes from OAA/OBA/OCA/SPA/VBA/VCA/VDA donors.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

The Sinfin branch looks like my lawn did before I mowed it on Sunday (although I didn't find a 66 or TEAs in there) :D I did give a little wave when you tooted, but I was also trying to hold my camera steady so my photos weren't blurry!!

Sounds like you had an interesting journey back through Stoke! There's a video on Youtube of a 56 with empty BDAs backing across that crossover (I assume it's the same one) before drawing forward into Shelton.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

cockshute is looking very overgrown whereas granville sidings have been cleared for network rail to use, funnily enough i've been asked to work an engineers into and out of there next week, so yesterdays move was handy to do

i've still got to go and have a look at the sidings before i work into there to see the MOW for it etc, despite signing the route for years i've never worked into any of (whats left of) the yards until i started with colas

Hi Jim,

Was it you turn on 6J37 today........

From www.prestonstation.org.uk web site ..... Colas 56094 has disgraced itself just past Oxheys Loop, to the north of Preston, whilst hauling the 6J37 Carlisle - Chirk logs. 57304 has been dispatched from Preston to drag it into the station, whilst 4M44 has been put into the loop at Oxheys to allow passenger traffic to pass.

Rescue loco and failed train proceeding very slowly back to Preston, as at 15.00.             

Kind regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

no not me as beast says, i was supposed to do a basford hall to ealing engineers (as far as didcot) which was cancelled so i ended up taking the loco to washwood heath for onward transit to taunton

never been onto "metro cammell" before but have passed it hundreds of times on the main line so i asked for someone to meet me to get me on there as i didn't know how to operate the electronic ground frame etc, i'd had a look at my sectional appendix so i knew which route i needed to take from the main, or so i thought, the signaller put me onto the siding line at bromford bridge which i knew took me towards the ground frame for washwood heath, i just wasn't counting on it taking me through the "cemex" sleeper factory en route, it is a legitimate route onto metro cammell but the siding supervisor was a bit puzzled when i called him from the stop board, turns out most (if not all) trains going to metro cammell take the goods rather than the sidings, oh well, another couple of sidings to scratch off my quail atlas!!

null-1869.jpg

so i was conducted onto metro cammell, disposed of the loco and began to walk back to the exit to get a train from aston when this came up the hill, seen here crossing the road to the cemex factory, dcr operated 56091

DSCF4119.jpg

its quite a climb onto the factory

DSCF4121.jpg

and onto the yard where the driver shut it down and very kindly let me share a taxi to new st!

DSCF4123.jpg

nice day, something different, worked over a few routes i'd not driven for a while (but had refreshed recently from the 2nd mans seat) such as bushbury to walsall, sutton park and the derby line towards washwood heath

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Was it you turn on 6J37 today........

From www.prestonstation.org.uk web site ..... Colas 56094 has disgraced itself just past Oxheys Loop, to the north of Preston, whilst hauling the 6J37 Carlisle - Chirk logs. 57304 has been dispatched from Preston to drag it into the station, whilst 4M44 has been put into the loop at Oxheys to allow passenger traffic to pass.

Rescue loco and failed train proceeding very slowly back to Preston, as at 15.00.             

Kind regards

Ian

56105 later went north to collect 56094 and train from Preston.

Cheers,

Mick

Rescuing the failed 66596, driven by F/L staff apparently.

DRS driver joined it at the staff foot crossing on low level next to Warrington PSB.

Failed north off Preston in one off the loops, so two 57's sent from Carlisle to work service forward into Fiddlers Ferry and return to Carlisle.

Mark