Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, i ran 56105 from basford hall to chirk earlier to add to the train, i had it and 66849 on an engineers train yesterday in stoke too

849 went off on hire to freightliner yesterday and is working in the blockade north of wigan and 105 sat in basford hall until i picked it up earlier

Got a few new pics i'll upload tomorrow

• RMweb Gold

a few pics from the trip to stoke on thursday, nothing of the work or machinery inside the sidings but a few of the locos and passing traffic (what little there was!)

66849 and 56105 arrived in from crewe

DSCF4330.jpg

and split 

DSCF4332.jpg

DSCF4331.jpg

the 56 once the work was completed dropped onto the train.......

DSCF4402.jpg

DSCF4360.jpg

.......and dragged it forward towards the old steelworks sidings allowing the 66 to drop on the rear, i then took the train out towards stoke where we changed ends and ran back to crewe where we changed ends again and ran into the pad where the train was split and stabled for the night, the 66 then went off on hire to freightliner and the 56 sat in basford hall until i collected it on friday to take to chirk

passing pendolino, quite pleased with this picture

DSCF4357.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Jim, did I see the logs and loco towed past Hereford by an EWS liveried 66 yesterday - swiftly followed by a light engine Colas 56?

Problems last night, the 56 jacked at Pontrillas, recovered by a 66 and berthed at Hereford - so yes !

• RMweb Gold

I was supposed to relieve it last night at hereford but ended up heading home as i dont sign south of there so i couldn't assist in the rescue and it would have been too late to carry on into chirk due to engineering work, thankfully the driver got it to pontrilas so other trains were able to be looped round it via the goods loop

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

did you notice that 66850 is now named?

typically i never bothered taking my camera with me last night, first up i saw 47580 in crewe on a wcr train from scarborough, then when i got to carlisle it was a lovely clear moonlit night night so i could have got some cracking shots of 56105 as i had 2 hours to wait before my train home this morning

then when i got to crewe these were sat in the bay, they are off to llandudno later on the GBRf staff jolly

null-1025.jpg

null-2281.jpg

the london underground one looks stunning now its a little bit weathered!

• Like 8

These Colas 56's get about, one in Eastfield yard in Peterborough tonight. Wrong side of the country for Jim though.

post-3516-0-76126800-1374935322_thumb.jpg

Was it this one Richard?

I'm presuming that whilst Nottingham Midland is being blockaded for engineering works, then the Washford Heath - Boston steel trains are running via Leicester and Stamford to Peterborough for a run round, and then up the East Coast to Grantham.

Makes me wonder if Colas have any route knowledge for the route?

• RMweb Gold

yes, your right catkins, it is the steel train running around the houses while nottingham is shut, they are utilising some of their ex freightliner intermodal drivers for it

mick, thats right for the name on 66850, he is founder of the railway children charity

• Like 2