Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

just a few pics from this week, had a "trainee" with me this week who i was mentoring, he's been driving a year longer than i've been alive though, western man, used to work on hymeks, westerns etc!!

cardiff bound 175 at chirk

DSCF4746.jpg

66615 in warrington on a hunterston to fiddlers ferry job

DSCF4753.jpg

DSCF4754.jpg

pendo

DSCF4755.jpg

waiting at wrexham, if were following something the signaller tends to hold us in the station for the northbound service so he only has to drop the barriers once rather than drop them for us to reach the section signal then have to drop them again for the other train

DSCF4758.jpg

DSCF4759.jpg

back in crewe last night, again waiting for the road, spoiled everyones pics of 46229 though as that was sat in the centre road!

DSCF4764-1.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

not taken many pictures lately as i've been a/l for over a week but when i got back i was asked to learn hinksey yard for a new job which started this week, anyway had a few extra days at it and have signed it off in readyness to work it next week

a few pics from out and about, started of by refreshing birmingham to leamington via coventry on an XC service, off at leamington and back over the branch before getting another XC back down to oxford

172 in leamington

DSCF4788.jpg

heading off to stratford

DSCF4789.jpg

voyager heading north

DSCF4790.jpg

and onto hinksey where our 47 sits during the day after working back from bicester after dropping ballast

DSCF4799.jpg

after leaving hinksey the train works to crewe behind the 66 where it goes for fuel as required, here it is waiting to head over to LNWR

DSCF4808.jpg

57302 in crewe

DSCF4818.jpg

and so to today, another day refreshing birmingham to leamington via coventry as it may be going that way a couple of times next week so back to leamington where we see a 168 heading to london

DSCF4820.jpg

leamington in bloom!

17926dc6-af6a-455e-b7fc-c3e48345ee31.jpg

5ad7d178-80ba-4ffd-a0cf-14943956d694.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

nice little job yesterday, took a couple of locos for fuel on lnwr in crewe, moved them over from basford hall, fuelled them and run them back again, when i got back i split them so the 47 was at the north ready for when they head back south (66 leading the train)

null_zps1fedd2b8.jpg

waiting to head into crewe station

null_zpsdaa5e73b.jpg

and waiting to go over to the carriage sidings for fuel

null_zpsaa4b5be9.jpg

all fuelled and washed and ready to head back to basford hall

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

a weeks worth of pictures this time

started off the week by having a trip to reading before work, wanted to see what was left in modelzone, caught the train from radley to save driving into oxford (and having to pay for parking) and got a few trains passing through before my local service arrived

DSCF4853.jpg

DSCF4855.jpg

DSCF4863.jpg

DSCF4864.jpg

changed at didcot

DSCF4868.jpg

DSCF4869.jpg

DSCF4870.jpg

DSCF4871.jpg

and into work, 66849 waiting to head north from hinksey

null_zps51113773.jpg

and into the loop at hatton, a few of my old chariots passed by

DSCF4877.jpg

DSCF4880.jpg

DSCF4881.jpg

DSCF4884.jpg

and another day, another stop in the loop, raining this time

DSCF4891.jpg

and the next day, waiting to leave hinksey

DSCF4892.jpg

DSCF4893.jpg

DSCF4894.jpg

DSCF4895.jpg

DSCF4897.jpg

and into hatton again!

DSCF4899.jpg

and onto friday, had problems with the 66 so ended up using the 47 on the northbound run to crewe, to be honest i didn't hold out much hope of making it to crewe as its quite a heavy train and the 47 can be a bit "temperamental" however it ran without problems and in fact it outpaced the 66 a lot of the way and was a pleasure to drive!

imagea.jpg

as it happened the southbound run has been cancelled due to no traffic arrivng from carlisle so i'm now at home instead of working it south whcih is nice!

took the 47 over to lnwr for a service and i'll pick it back up on monday to put DIT for the run back south

• Like 15

been taking pictures on my proper camera so haven't been able to upload them from the SD card as i have an ipad!

Hi,

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but why don't you buy a SD card to Ipad adaptor? It's one of the best things I've brought in the past few months!

Either way, nice photos!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

did a sinfin today, first time i've had a 56 on it

DSCF4903.jpg

running round in derby

DSCF4914.jpg

this came in while i was sat in the station, gbrf lul stock move, a good excuse to run the new Bachmann GBRf 20 with a blue one!

DSCF4907.jpg

DSCF4908.jpg

if you squint it could be the 80s

DSCF4909.jpg

66721 "Harry Beck" bringing up the rear

DSCF4911.jpg

DSCF4913.jpg

this came past while i was waiting to leave for crewe after running round

DSCF4916.jpg

and into crewe

DSCF4917.jpg

leaving for grangemouth

DSCF4918.jpg

DSCF4919.jpg

back on the logs tomorrow for the first time in about a month

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

had a trip to toton today to catch the walshingham coal round ratcliffe power station as a refresh, got a few pictures while waiting for it to arrive at toton

lots of class 60's around, 3 were actually working trains (accidently wiped the picture of a schenker livery one)

tata livery 60

DSCF5001.jpg

DSCF5003.jpg

DSCF5005.jpg

60035 was shunting the yard

DSCF5006.jpg

then one of my old locos came in with the ews managers train 

DSCF5011.jpg

DSCF5013.jpg

DSCF5014.jpg

DSCF5015.jpg

a class 70 headed the other way with a lafarge cement train

DSCF5017.jpg

then our train came in, 66848 at the helm

DSCF5020.jpg

DSCF5021.jpg

and them after the trip round ratcliffe back into toton to run round and head off to gloucester!

DSCF5025.jpg

something different tomorrow, starting to learn the heart of wales line

Edited by big jim
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

i think its for conducting moves for tampers and the like, possibly working possession trains should they arise

its a heck of a route to learn, tomorrow is really a reccie over there to get a feel for it, i've never been over there in my life so should be interesting, due to the length of the line (120 miles) im only going to llandridnod wells and back tomorrow (or possibly the next passing loop/token exchange point if i can get off the unit there)

got the arriva wales maps for the line already so have been boning up

i think its for conducting moves for tampers and the like, possibly working possession trains should they arise

its a heck of a route to learn, tomorrow is really a reccie over there to get a feel for it, i've never been over there in my life so should be interesting, due to the length of the line (120 miles) im only going to llandridnod wells and back tomorrow (or possibly the next passing loop/token exchange point if i can get off the unit there)

got the arriva wales maps for the line already so have been boning up

Hi Jim

It depends which service you catch, the 0900 off Salop meets the service coming the other way at Llanwrtyd whereas the 1405 off Salop meets the up service at Llandrindod. Both token exchanges are done in the platform so there is no problem changing trains at either location..

Ian

Edited by ianwales