Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Typo alert Jim - Saltley has moved towards Chester ;)

And 1500ft of train - not even 75 SLUs so not very long by some standards (but then we used to run up to 120 SLUs occasionally and 100 was an everyday event so were well used to decent length trains). 

70 slu was actually over the limit for the route so we had to get autorisation for it to run even though it was still short enough for the loops it was booked into!

the falcons came off at hinksey anyway, the salmons were all that went to westbury

some from today, a nice sunny day so lots of photographers about!!

started in leamington where i picked up 6M50 to bescot, today we went via hatton instead of coventry

DSCF6685.jpg

DSCF6686.jpg

park lane jn

DSCF6687.jpg

walsall, had to wait for this to cross my path, taken from the veranda again!!

DSCF6691.jpg

and into bescot where we picked up 70804 that i'd left there yesterday

A7C31C1B-89CB-4E63-8BE5-0877FA218BE1.jpg

DSCF6693.jpg

not the best shot coz of all the lineside equipment but just so you get an idea of how long the train is, 1500ft (409 metres)

DSCF6707.jpg

97302 came down the goods to be dropped into the virtual quarry

DSCF6692.jpg

then a bit later 97303 came along to join it, so i got the full set as 304 was parked on the down side too!!

DSCF6698.jpg

DSCF6704.jpg

thsi has been parked in bescot for a long time but i've only managed to photograph it for the first time today, the tank wagons were originally converted by my stepdads compamy (c.c.crump) in 1988 and the train was used for a short while before being laid up where it has just rusted away ever since!!

0BD9CA92-5567-4A06-85B7-60CFBD92C96E.jpg

2BFC22F5-D5D9-40FF-A10E-EB926BE92264.jpg

couple more random shots...

DSCF6702.jpg

DSCF6708.jpg

DSCF6710.jpg

and on to saltney where i got off to wait for a taxi home so i got some more shots there

the 70s head off to westbury

DSCF6712.jpg

66568 passes the old saltney box

DSCF6713.jpg

and the new signalling centre

DSCF6714.jpg

xc 170

DSCF6723.jpg

DSCF6724.jpg

day off tomorrow before heading down to hinksey in readyness to work a few engineers trains to southall via the chiltern mainline over the course of the weekend

Great pictures Jim.

Think you meant Saltley,

Saltney is near Chester? :)

Edit

Beaten to it by the Stationmaster! :)

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

a picture especially for roundhouse.....

0892AFCB-E675-4D3C-9CF5-8FC382EE4EFE.jpg

70805 during the runround at banbury earlier this evening, i left hinksey and had to run round in banbury before heading back along the chiltern line to west ruislip with a possession train bound for southall

i believe the first 70 on the chiltern line?

• Like 9

a picture especially for roundhouse.....

0892AFCB-E675-4D3C-9CF5-8FC382EE4EFE.jpg

70805 during the runround at banbury earlier this evening, i left hinksey and had to run round in banbury before heading back along the chiltern line to west ruislip with a possession train bound for southall

i believe the first 70 on the chiltern line?

Shame I wasnt out for these! they came along my branch in the early hours of this morning, but after a 11 hour shift yesterday that wasnt going to happen, I hope these stay around here

NL

• Like 1

I passed three of the Colas 70's on short Engineers train at Swindon yesterday at 09:15. I'm not certain what they were working, but I've been told that they were 803, 804 & 805.....is anybody able to confirm this and/or get a photo of them please?

[Whoops - just noticed I posted this question in the 'Discussion' section. I'll delete and move it if required]

Edited by Lord-Claud-Hamilton
  • Like 1

Plenty of 70s around then, how many are there now? I gave one on containers a wave passing Wolvercot bridge yesterday at 2pm :)

I passed one approaching Reading (on the way back from a day spotting at Cardiff Central) at 1925 yesterday. That was on Containers as well.....

I dunno what was up with me yesterday. I missed loads on the way down (incl a 60 on Tanls just before we entered Newport!) and on the way back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just need Farish to bring out the a Colas livery on their class 70.

And Bachmann as well!

Why do we have to wait for their new models to be announced? I'm sure there will be some detail differences on the bodies of the Colas locos, but why can't they just quietly get on with it and announce them as soon as possible? I feel sure they'll make enough money on them to cover their costs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of 70s around then, how many are there now? I gave one on containers a wave passing Wolvercot bridge yesterday at 2pm :)

Currently 19 with Freightliner, 5 with Colas, with 2 more due in about 8 days, 2 more in May and one more eventually to make it to 10.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Im back this afternoon if your about!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/B20851/2014/04/18/advanced

Going banbury to southall, work on site then back to banbury

Hi Jim, saw you bringing 682G round the curve from Saunderton at West Wycombe - I was on the bridge, thanks for the toot!. Tried to get some pics on my phone but they were rubbish!

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes i did see you, the bridge just past the bus depot, quite a lot of photographers about today with it being sunny, saw geoff plumb (dampflok) in hadenham and thame too

Been a long day with one thing and another, could have got away from southall at 17:00 but ended up leaving at 23:30ish!

Back there again tomorrow but i may have to fuel 70801 as its a bit low, ive suggested going to chiltern wembley with it but i'll have to wait and see

im sure geoff wont mind me linking to his superb pic of me heading through haddenham yesterday

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/April-2014/i-n4GVVT5/A

(i was actually happy, despite the look on my face!!)

Brilliant photograph................but if that is your happy face Jim.....would hate to see you miserable...!!!!!

Bob

PS......do you get home much these days..??   Not seen any progress on the layout for a while.!!

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 1

hardly home bob, and when i am im not in the mood to do any model work, still waiting on electricity in the shed too, once thats in an warm summer evenings i'll get back into it

I did think that Crewe might be a bit of a distant memory judging by your work pattern.

I shall look forward to popping in one evening this summer to watch the trains running.

Bob

• Like 1

im sure geoff wont mind me linking to his superb pic of me heading through haddenham yesterday

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/April-2014/i-n4GVVT5/A

(i was actually happy, despite the look on my face!!)

No problem Jim, thanks for posting the link and thanks for all the info with regard to the Colas workings over the Chiltern line - it's made for a very interesting time!

I was out on Thursday evening at Princes Risborough, along with several of the other local stalwarts, and I did manage to get some shots of the first and second up workings. The photos did work out reasonably well considering the speed the trains were going and I'm not too disappointed with them:

IGMP3367_70805_PrincesRisborough_6C21_17

IGMP3370_70805_PrincesRisborough_6C21_17

IGMP3382_70802_PrincesRisborough_6C22_18

Images are "clickable" to take you to larger versions on my site - there are a few more from the Friday morning before the shot of Jim & train at Haddenham in the afternoon.

Cheers, Geoff

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I cant wait to see your mates video, bet it looked and sounded good screaming rounnd the curve through the station!

Anyway a couple from today, what started as a simple on site job then trundle back to hinksey with the train via the chilterns turned into a trip to llanwern THEN a trip back to hinksey, due to driver shortage i ended up working the tilbury to llanwern steel train from acton with a Route conductor (the same one i had booked for conducting me to greenford) as i dont sign any of it apart from didcot station limits

Had a good tun over there via the GW mainline, chippenham, bath, Dr days, severn tunnel and into llanwern, i can honestly say ive never been over 90% of it and found it a fascinating route with the likes of box tunnel and the bridges and tunnels of bath etc, saw a lot of locations that i'd seen in photos but never known where they were, in particular in some of ewsjo's pics in the chippenham area

Waiting to leave acton

A9ED0607-07C7-4EBA-967D-1B92510DE611.jpg

And in to llanwern

E01C4B54-42C2-4489-878D-C1A3D575A5CA.jpg

Then It was back in to a van to head back to london to work back over the chilterns to hinksey, anyway one thing and another and we ended up going via reading (again) and didcot which saved me a run round at banbury, had 70801 and 70804 top and tail which i run round in hinksey ready to be moved away whenever, which may be me later to take them for fuel

F2646C28-F871-43E7-AF49-43BED9DACA6F.jpg

In all an interesting day, something different again and seen things like the severn tunnel from the front of a train etc which was interesting

Edited by big jim
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

over on another forum i have told a forum member to wind his neck in after 2 colas drivers gave him some facts and still insisted in telling us we were wrong, anyway he PM'd me and his message ended with this little gem....

Another interesting topic to bring to light is if you and Bucket are Colas Rail employees then why do you share information on the WNXX Forum? Very detailed information as well like who is driving the locos, what locos are on the train and referring to other train depots. Surely this is breeching your contract on confidentiality. I know in my line of work that this is taken very seriously and I`m pretty sure that the FOC would like to know what there employees discuss on online forums which can be viewed by hundreds. Looks like a call to the head office is necessary to see what they have to say on the matter

i wonder sometimes why i bother posting stuff, as it happens my boss is a member on the other forum so knows whats posted on there anyway!