Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

Like the smiley in the last pic!

Cheers,

Mick

Joticed that 70808 also has a smiley like 70804 and remembered that my almost finished second Colas 70 is 70808 - the smiley will be there when weathered. Jim's pics duly stored for reference!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Joticed that 70808 also has a smiley like 70804 and remembered that my almost finished second Colas 70 is 70808 - the smiley will be there when weathered. Jim's pics duly stored for reference!

Cheers,

Mick

i noticed that too this morning, i dont know who is doing it but both locos have been used in the south west recently, they are looking nice now they have a bit of grime on them in my opinion

Jim,

Having been used to 'merry-go-round' services, with their slow progress through loading and unloading points, I am trying to understand how the system works with the new stock. Do you have to stop under/above the hopper for each wagon? If so, how are you told when to start and stop?

you get a radio, set the slow speed to 1/2 mph and they stop you as and when they need to, normally just once during the run through the unloader if your lucky, they have to manually energise the doors and open and close them individually from the control panel on the wagon

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

Morning Jim,

An important piece of history recorded beautifully! Lovely set of images as usual - has set me wondering though, do you think the latest batch of locos will last as long in service as the 37s?

This question from an old steam fan that you have caused to take a great deal of interest in the current scene - so much so that I've been re-jigging my projected plans for a layout to take in some early diesels that came to Hurlford 67B, Scotland in the late fifties and early sixties. My dad, a top link driver based at Dumfries and then Hurlford, converted to diesel from steam after a lengthy course paid for by LMS and then BR and was then involved in a lot of testing of diesel shunters in the adjacent mineral sidings. It might be fun to model that if I can find an RTR or kit of a Barclay diesel and a driver figure to modify!

Thanks once again for the entertainment and the insight into the world of the current driver,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jim

37421 is looking good there looks like a good job has been on it. I hada run on the Sleeper behind this loco in the early 00's as I remember It was in poor shape then and was withdrawn not too long after that! Great to see it have a new lease of life I think Colas will look after it better the EWS did hope to see any of the Colas 37 work up here in Scotland soon.

Save

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
scottishlocos, on 25 Jan 2015 - 17:25, said:

Jim

37421 is looking good there looks like a good job has been on it. I hada run on the Sleeper behind this loco in the early 00's as I remember It was in poor shape then and was withdrawn not too long after that! Great to see it have a new lease of life I think Colas will look after it better the EWS did hope to see any of the Colas 37 work up here in Scotland soon.

Save

I done a quick Google yesterday and this particular 37 has had 7 liveries through out its life now! Counting, green, blue, LL blue, Sub sector grey, Regional Railways, EWS and now Colas! There maybe 1 or 2 I could have missed!

Hi Jim,

I take it that it wasn't you on the Colas liveried class 70 heading north through the up platform at Oxford on ballast wagons at 21.32 this evening then?

Thanks for some great pictures, and the best updates on my local railway.

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

I take it that it wasn't you on the Colas liveried class 70 heading north through the up platform at Oxford on ballast wagons at 21.32 this evening then?

Thanks for some great pictures, and the best updates on my local railway.

Best wishes,

Paul

No, that would have been 70801 on 6C31 heading off to banbury road on the bicester branch to off load ballast for the double tracking

Ive just gone through oxford southbound with 6V46, got off at hinksey and im done for the day, off for a well deserved sleep!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Particularly like the DRS train with single PFA. Best pic I've seen showing the end detail of the specially built full height containers for carrying low-level waste. Often conveyed in drums and can range from dirty clothing to lab instruments. (Info from the Dounreay website)

There are other forms of LLW that is usually conveyed in half-height boxes.

Loads of info about LLW boxes here.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

As most of my time was photographing trains in the West of England, the electrified North with all the overhead catenary is a definite put off. Especially nowadays with all the steam excursions that are run beneath it all. Sadly it is beginning to creep even further west, hopefully not beyond Bristol.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Another great set.

I've always like the adelante class 180s. I've always been disappointed Bachmann has never done a model. That and the similar coradia units as well.

lets hope rapido's secret announcment is a 175/180, i'd certainly be up for a 175 (as it was the first unit i drove during my training)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another great set.

I've always like the adelante class 180s. I've always been disappointed Bachmann has never done a model. That and the similar coradia units as well.

I'm afraid I can't abide the Adelantes. Superb acceleration, awful everything else including passenger experience, security of fittings.............

Just a couple from today, old oak common to bescot via the chilterns with 30 coalfish and top and tail 70s

635A0B04-1CCA-469C-B65E-ACE6F5D1747F.jpg

And into bescot where i removed the locos for fuel 70801 'donna' and 70809

88036B70-CE93-48F8-98AE-78CF04641B38.jpg

And pass back to london for 'book of mormon'........sorry i mean to the hotel ready to do it all again tomorrow with autoballasters and sidetippers

The only thing of note on the way back from bescot to euston was the WCR 37 in euston

3514BCB3-4BB1-4003-9C06-58650E00D6B4.jpg

Or maybe not, apparently the bank has slipped in Harbury cutting again and the line is closed whilst those in the know are making their evaluations