Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

It says PLPR1 on the end, which tallies with 72631.

More great pics by the way, Jim.

jo

DOH! How the heck did I miss that obvious clue..................? :blush:

Late last night I found a recent pic of 72631 with grey door.....

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

You weren't having a senior moment were you?

Quite possibly. I was away from home last night and forgot to take my reading glasses with me.............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jim wouldn't be able to say what happened at Gloucester N.Y because it would be the end of this thread on rmweb as he's get dismissed for breach of contract in discussing internal affairs which haven't yet been fully investigated. He's find it hard getting another job on the railways once they find out he was using social media to discuss internal matters that were ongoing. 

For those that don't know, there are pics out there of the incident.

Not the first time there has been a derailment at that bit of track. January 2014

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

First pics ive seen of it, didnt realise it was the same points!

Coal not running again this evening, the only saving grace being i can get a few assessments done on my drivers instead

• RMweb Gold

And tonights crewe pic is the arriva mk3 set, this one comes in from llandudno and terminates before heading off the the south shed for service

B3BA4176-C3A3-4852-93EB-65AEEE185E70.jpg

Our double headed 56 log train passed through the station while i was there too

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple from last night

Start of the journey at gresty lane, 70809 and 68010

BAEA7783-2ABE-43B1-B706-EDE1BC18018F.jpg

And after a run up the wcml to nuneaton, across to leicester and finally up to toton where i got relief at 06:30

9B558591-D669-4544-BAC0-3F71EF9506B5.jpg

Same job tonight (and the rest of the week)

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Nice pics, when inleft toton yesterday morning i noticed the 66 in the depot yard which i thought unusal, our latest class 60 was sat next to it too, 60002, which i beileve is now in crewe for something or other

Not on the coal tonight now, doing a sinfin tomorrow instead

• RMweb Premium

That's 60096 next to your 66, with new cab roof sections, cooler group and silencer, the internals looked pretty clean too. It had a few blokes clambering in and out of it today!!

The Colas colours definitely make a nice change to the sea of Maroon, I really like the 70's now they're getting a bit of weathering on them!!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

Obviously they weren't long enough or the right colour, and offered some assistance to rectify it.....            :jester:

Jim what loco did you have on sinfin today?

edit: above answered in post below, cheers Jim.

Edited by yorkie_pudd
  • Like 1

What a great set of pics Jim the locos at Derby were an interesting bunch the Ferttis 37 and class 45 were a contrast but  37401 wow that's brilliant and following you on the journey was interesting you had some long waits didn't you.How does the class 56 drive being as it is an old loco must be a wake up to go on a 70 with all the computers etc does a 56 require you to really drive with the seat of your pants .

• RMweb Gold

That 56 is not a bad one, it struggles to build amps now and again but when it gets going its pretty rapid

After 4 weeks of class 70s on the coal it was certainly different getting on a 56 again, got the sinfin again next week as well as a couple of claydon jn iobs and possibly the logs to carlisle!

• RMweb Gold

You still need to do 60's and south on the S&C..................

Cheers,

Mick

Thats next on my list!

im trying to move away from some of these away from home jobs a bit, there are plenty of new drivers coming on line in the south west and midlands etc which will mean i will do less things like claydon and the coal unless its covering leave, sickness etc, however i certainly dont want to lose the variety of work ive had over the last couple of years which is why i joined colas

I will be the first to admit i used to get frustrated when i'd see new drivers coming in and learning 'my jobs' such as bicester which i still call 'my baby' as i was the first colas driver down there, first on the chord, took the first train beyond the gate at claydon since 1991 etc but i realise its just impractical and not cost effective to lodge me down there for days on end however i do hope i will still be a part of it now and again but on a smaller scale

The coal from didcot to toton, you can keep that, the less i see of it the better, landor st to ratcliffe is really all i need to see of that in the future as more drivers learn the route

while the blockade at harbury has been going on i've obviously been working a lot closer to home relieving the coal in either shrewsbury or crewe and its been great, not tired, 40 min max van drive at the start of the job and its made me appreciate that maybe sitting back a bit and doing local jobs is actually not a bad thing, however i certainly dont want to be stuck on the logs for the rest of my days so the odd out of area job will suit me, i particularly enjoy london site driver jobs (where i can get a show or two in) or working trains down there via the chilterns and i dont want to lose that

We've just bought a static caravan in silloth (near carlisle) so of course getting the s+c under my belt will mean come the summer i can do the likes of the southbound logs via the s+c to warrington for a week, i can then go pass back to carlisle at the end of the shift (rather than pass to carlisle at the start) and head to the van with the family In the evenings!!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A layout in a caravan - excellent!!

Look out for the "Jim's N gauge in caravan" thread soon.............

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

We've just bought a static caravan in silloth (near carlisle) so of course getting the s+c under my belt will mean come the summer i can do the likes of the southbound logs via the s+c to warrington for a week, i can then go pass back to carlisle at the end of the shift (rather than pass to carlisle at the start) and head to the van with the family In the evenings!!

And a certain model shop very near Carlisle station with its own RMweb member in it!

Ian

• Like 1