RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

If I'd known you was going to be at Swinton, I'd have come and said Hello. It's only 10 mins from home !!

The class 60 hauled train usually sounds impressive, like the train is heavy enough to give the loco a bit of a workout.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Only managed one pic today, should have been on this derby to Stockport and back to rugby via new st but the route conductor I had getting on at Stoke to see me through to Stockport via Macclesfield said he was booked to work it from there to rugby so I could get off, you couldn't see me for dust!!

IMG_9031.jpg

(TBH I was a bit dissapointed as I was looking forward to a good blast up the wcml with it)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I see that there was a Colas 37 and UTU at Donny this morning, didn't get any more than that. In fact it is still there now - loco lights are on so off to do some work later on I presume.

• RMweb Gold

37057 came past us at colchester last night with quite a big group of guys with tripods on the end of platform 3, even at half 11 in the evening

as nice as that loco is its an awful one to try and photograph at night!!

one from today, manned the NMT on crewe carriage shed while a coach was wheel turned

IMG_9082.jpg

road learning tomorrow and friday unless i get taken off for something else

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

And the tanks are full. They are there to provide brake force because the S stock runs unbraked with just a pipe running through/along the train.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

And the tanks are full. They are there to provide brake force because the S stock runs unbraked with just a pipe running through/along the train.

Paul.

i dont think they are full, they dont have hatches fitted, marcus will confirm as he drives the s-stock train all the time

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic photos Jim.

Do you know what's happening with the DRS 37s and test trains? I have read recently that DRS 37s are no longer used on test trains but yet 37059 and 37610 have been working a test train this week. Or have these two been hired in by Colas? I know that the test trains have Colas staff operating them but with different liveried locos apart from their own.

Thank you very much in advance.

• RMweb Gold

What a flippin' night, if it could go wrong it did go wrong!

Only managed one pic before i attempted to depart derby for longsight before things went progressively downhill!!

979A3114-9B55-4D82-AA9A-2185B0D0FF0D.jpg

So off I set towards Chesterfield to collect my route conductor for a trip over the hope valley

to chinley then on to peak forest and ultimately longsight, got as far as ambergate before finding out that the line to Chesterfield was flooded so I would need to turn back, did an interesting unsignalled move across the junction and headed back towards derby with the aim of then turning towards toton and heading along the Erewash to Chesterfield and into the hope valley as booked, got as far as derby before getting news that the hope valley was now shut due to flooding (and my route conductor was stuck on an EMT train the wrong side of the flood!)

His train eventually made it though and he joined us at derby for 'plan C', a transit run to longsight via the north staffs and potteries lines to pick up the back end of the shift recording the Cheshire lines via knutsford and northwich as well as the sandbach branch, so off we went, on to the line towards uttoxeter when suddenly 'pop!' dankness as the generator on the DBSO shut down approaching eggington, a bit of fault finding and we discovered it had had an earth fault, possibly due to the huge amount of rain that had been deposited on the train in the previous few hours, spoke to the box and decided the best course of action was to head to uttoxeter on battery power and leave it in the loop, however I asked him if his crossover was still in use and low and behold it was so we decided to turn back at eggington instead rather than risking losing all power between there and uttoxeter and stitching up the last passenger service to crewe

Into eggington, isolate the DBSO controls to effectively make it a normal coach and changed ends, cross over and back to derby where a fitter eventually met us and rectified the problem, couple of frantic phone calls from the on train tech to his control and we were granted a path to longsight to get the train in position for today's job, this time we went via Lichfield, colwich, stone, stoke, Macclesfield and Stockport and on to longsight

Changed ends to head in to the depot and the genny on the DBSO Went out again, thankfully we got it over the ladder and onto the depot where we left it for the night for the fitter to come over and have a look later today

In all a very challenging night with a lot of thinking on my feet both due to the traction and

route failures, to top it off I think I've caught a cold from walking from derby station to the RTC!

Anyway a nice change tonight if I don't get flooded out, Hereford to chirk with the logs, and a class 70 on it too

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

Hi Jim - and all 'Big Jim' followers.

post-16151-0-86554300-1479845011_thumb.jpg

We've had a go at backdating you to the 1930's. If you're coming to Warley, see if you can spot yerself. Clue - you won't be hanging out of a 350 shunt!

Love the thread by the way. You definitely get out and about most of the railway places we know so we always enjoy seeing where you've been.

• Like 7

Was gonna coming down to the crossing to see you last night, I came off the phone from my Dad checked RTT and bang you were already through. I don't think I've ever seen that train through so early although it hasn't been running as frequently over the last month or so! Hope you had a better trip last night