Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

back to it yesterday, stafford to carlisle via basford hall, earlestown, newton le willows, carnforth and the cumbrian coast

stafford

DSCF2961.jpg

DSCF2962.jpg

DSCF2963.jpg

preston

DSCF2967.jpg

sellafield

DSCF2968.jpg

DSCF2969.jpg

DSCF2970.jpg

waiting for the unit to leave the single line so we can get the token to St Bees

DSCF2971.jpg

whitehaven, my trainee walking back to return the St Bees to whitehaven token

DSCF2972.jpg

DSCF2974.jpg

and eventually into carlisle

DSCF2976.jpg

Bangor later today with 37025

• Like 17

back to it yesterday, stafford to carlisle via basford hall, earlestown, newton le willows, carnforth and the cumbrian coast

I wondered if that was you as it passed through Dalton tunnel Jim. The guy in the hi-vis watching from his bike! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

• RMweb Premium

Jim, your excellent photo of the Freightliner at Stafford, what is the equipment laid between the adjoining tracks please? Thank you.

I believe that the equipment between the track in the freightliner shot is tpws or it has something to do with the signalling

AWS ramp in front of the loco, TPWS grids on the adjacent line.

http://www.railway-technical.com/sigtxt7.shtml

Edited by Banger Blue

• RMweb Gold

025 looked mighty nice through the Down loop at Holywell Jct today, didn't realise it was you when you rang from Crewe.

Martyn.

that wasn't me, i got on at llandudno jn for the trip to bangor and back to crewe (pics below)

I wondered if that was you as it passed through Dalton tunnel Jim. The guy in the hi-vis watching from his bike! Kev.

yes that was me in the 2nd mans seat, were you expecting me or was it a surprise?

• RMweb Gold

and some from today, Llandudno Jn to Bangor and back to crewe

175 in "the junction"

DSCF2978.jpg

DSCF2979.jpg

150 heading to manchester

DSCF2980.jpg

and my train rolling in

DSCF2981.jpg

DSCF2982.jpg

another 175

DSCF2983.jpg

over to it

DSCF2984.jpg

and into bangor

DSCF2986.jpg

and back over to the up side

DSCF2987.jpg

sat outside llandudno Jn for 30 mins so grabbed a few pics from the DBSO droplights

looking down the Conwy valley towards glan conwy, can you spot the 150 unit?

DSCF2988.jpg

here it is, in Glan Conwy station!

DSCF2991.jpg

conwy castle

DSCF2995.jpg

also the smallest house in the UK (red building), imagine how much that would cost in central London!!

DSCF2996.jpg

and into crewe, shut down and home

DSCF2998.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

nice pic, thought you would have hung around for the return though!

i was actually rest day today but got asked to work that train as i have route knowledge for the whole circuit, a long old day, best part of 180 miles driving in total but at no point was i futher than a 30 mile radius from crewe

you can tell autumn is on the way, the 'cheshire lines' from mickle trafford to stockport via altringham got quite slippy around delemere and mouldsworth despite there not being any rain today (early on) the 37 was wheelslipping a fair bit and i had to use the sanders to keep it in check, and that was only at 30mph, its going to be fun down there when the leaves really start to drop (delemere is a known 'published' area of low adheasion)

ive got some pics to upload later today

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

some from today, on the shunt in derby, conducted this off the rtc into the station

2016-10-01%2007.20.29%20HDR.jpg

2016-10-01%2007.22.10%20HDR.jpg

2016-10-01%2007.30.38%20HDR.jpg

then train up to newcastle upon tyne, passed 43002 and 43185 outside a very wet NRM

2016-10-01%2015.37.04.jpg

and one from a work collegue, 56113 on shrewsbury coleham depot in readyness for the rhtt season, ive got this loco to holyhead wednesday next week on a training run

2016-10-01%2016.00.23.jpg

training day for me in heaton tomorrow

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

What are those GB 73s doing up there, have they got GB drivers on them?

I was on the RTC last week first with the saloon and then with the 68s, wondered if I'd see you was with Tim Howlett and we got Mike Jones as our IM driver

• RMweb Gold

quick job today 37116 from derby to barrow hill

37025 and 37424

2016-10-032011.30.12.jpg

2016-10-03%2011.38.53%20HDR.jpg

ready for the off

2016-10-03%2011.52.52%20HDR.jpg

and into barrow hill

2016-10-03%2012.46.51.jpg

and a random 158 in chesterfield, caught the train home via sheffield and stockport

2016-10-03%2013.21.42.jpg

maiden solo voyage on the NMT tomorrow

• Like 18

I didn't want to say this (but will).

Sir Kenneth Grange is a highly distinguished designer with a list as long as your arm of other notable design achievements but the bloke who designed the nose is given the credit for the HST.

Isn't that a bit like giving the design credit for the Mini to whoever designed the radiator grill.

• RMweb Gold

The latest batch (Blackpool onwards a few months back) are from my fujifilm 30 exr bridge camera, I've gone back a step from the Sony camera with fewer megapixels and less zoom but the pics are so much clearer and the camera is a lot easier to use

Saying that the pics immediately above are off the iphone 5!!

Edited by big jim