Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

1Q90 cancelled after 37057 misbehaved (imitating a kettle)?

I'm guessing it was parked up overnight at Hornsey? Caught a glimpse of something yellow sandwiched between two 37s on my way past this morning, whilst sat on a happy 365..:-)

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures as always.

Berwick Street is the random one - I work not-too-far away from there. Trying to think if there's a hidden meaning behind it, and can't.....

I travel over the crossover at Cambridge regularly (your shot a day or two ago). There can't be many platforms that fit a minimum 16 coaches (and perhaps 20 at a push)? Rumour has it that it dates from the days that the College's ruled Cambridge. They wanted sight of the up and down platforms from one place to monitor any students trying to escape, so has them built in a long line (hence the crossover)...Sounds about right for Cambridge; the Colleges still have great power over the city.

Cheers

Rob

I think the Berwick St photo is just for the 'record'. Used to be a great place to buy records, still some shops but not as big or as many as there used to be.

Jim, you passed very close to my home halfway between Gospel Oak and Hampstead Heath stations although closest line is close to the site of Haverstock Hill station. Mind you I was tooked up in bed when you passed through. 

Great photos as usual even the iPhone ones. 

Fantastic night shots Jim. What sort of exposure did you use?

I've said it before, but worth repeating, thanks for taking and sharing these photos. They provide loads of detail that I would never see from the station platform!

• RMweb Premium

those are just iphone pics, proper one's below

you'll see "what the story is" eventually

anyway proper camera pics

DSCF3090.jpg

DSCF3092.jpg

DSCF3093.jpg

DSCF3094.jpg

DSCF3097.jpg

DSCF3098.jpg

Where are the prototype pics? These are all models..........

:jester:

Great pics Jim

Cheers

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hang on a minute.

That image that has the 700 serious MU in has bogies similar of the warship (Class 42) as the are fitted with brake blocks and not disc brakes. Makes you wonder if the manufacture has realised that the brake blokes are better at stopping wheel flats and improved adhesion with a lightly scuffed wheel. 

Great set of images Big Jim. 

Terry.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 37s were put into Stansted loop at 02:35 this morning and haven't re-emerged (yet), therefore I won't be seeing them today :ireful:

True to form - I type and they depart ! - heading for Cambridge at the moment, they may - or may not - continue with todays diagram.

Hang on a minute.

That image that has the 700 serious MU in has bogies similar of the warship (Class 42) as the are fitted with brake blocks and not disc brakes. Makes you wonder if the manufacture has realised that the brake blokes are better at stopping wheel flats and improved adhesion with a lightly scuffed wheel. 

Great set of images Big Jim. 

Terry.

Siemens has fitted treadbrakes to the motor bogies, and inside disk brakes to the non motorised bogies. The reason being down to space, there's precious little space left inside after the motors et all are hung. So Treadbrakes were seen to be the providing answer. Whether or not they may have a better adheasion rate located as the first set of bogies I don't know.

I passed through Cambridge by train last year and didn't recognise it. Where was the grand sweep of the single platform, the third longest on the entire network?

Then again I don't recognise the rest of the place, either. My mental image of Cambridge station is firmly fixed as the view from Mill Road Bridge circa 1964, with the brooding derelict MPD to the right (including the coaling tower which was demolished in 1967) and the marshalling yard to the left (which could be heard clearly early in the morning, from my mother's house in Mill Road). I did see the last steam at Cambridge, although we hadn't actually moved there at the time, crossing the footbridge from Tenison Road was an adventure in itself.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just 3 iPhone pics from earlier in the week, test train from Walsall to derby via Nuneaton and Coventry

Couldn't get into Coventry station from Nuneaton with my test train so ended up in the yard instead

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8731.jpg

And back to derby

IMG_8733.jpg

Same train last night derby to Manchester Piccadilly and back, some pics in the proper camera that I'll upload tomorrow

• Like 11