Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Since Colas operate the test trains I'd wager it's both DRS and Europhoenix hiring locos to Colas. As far as I'm aware DRS have never operated test trains, their 37s were on hire to Serco, then DB, now Colas. Here's hoping the test train 37s end up in the same livery as 37800 and 37884!

I can't believe how different Banbury is looking now Jim, is it a sufficient enough change to cause you to have to relearn it?

Jo

Didn't have to relearn it but have had briefs, powerpoint presentations and yellow perils and of course a look over it on Monday, got some chiltern maps too

For a new multi million pound set up there are a couple of dodgy signals now in place, plenty of read across' and a new stop signal on situated on a blind bend, no doubt yet again someone in an office sitting and looking at a computer model and saying "you will get sight of this signal within the specified tolerances" instead of asking the drivers and actually going out in the track and saying "if we put that signal 50m futher back you will get a good extra 1/4 mile sighting of it"......shoddy planning and implementation yet again!

As for the 608/603 combo, yes I think it is the first time they have paired a europhoenix and DRS pair on a test train

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

Since Colas operate the test trains I'd wager it's both DRS and Europhoenix hiring locos to Colas. As far as I'm aware DRS have never operated test trains, their 37s were on hire to Serco, then DB, now Colas. Here's hoping the test train 37s end up in the same livery as 37800 and 37884!

I can't believe how different Banbury is looking now Jim, is it a sufficient enough change to cause you to have to relearn it?

Jo

Didn't have to relearn it but have had briefs, powerpoint presentations and yellow perils and of course a look over it on Monday, got some chiltern maps too

For a new multi million pound set up there are a couple of dodgy signals now in place, plenty of read across' and a new stop signal on situated on a blind bend, no doubt yet again someone in an office sitting and looking at a computer model and saying "you will get sight of this signal within the specified tolerances" instead of asking the drivers and actually going out in the track and saying "if we put that signal 50m futher back you will get a good extra 1/4 mile sighting of it"......shoddy planning and implementation yet again!

As for the 608/603 combo, yes I think it is the first time they have paired a europhoenix and DRS pair on a test train

Think it was DRS locos that where hired in with DB drivers. Or at least that was the case when they passed Dunbar as it was all DB drivers before the change to colas

Thanks for letting me know.

It's really interesting that we have so many different liveried 37s operating test trains, the locos been hired to other FOCs and the drivers that work for other FOCs driving DRS liveried locos.

That's probably why their is no rush to repaint 608 and 611. Because really the livery doesn't mean anything if Europhenix owned locos are been hired to Colas. As long as their out and about earning their keep I don't suppose it matters.

• RMweb Gold

just one pic from the last few days, the iphone has been full until this evening so ive not had a chance for any "on the fly" pics, got loads on the proper camera that i'll upload whenever i get home

had this the last few days, cumbrian coast yesterday and blackpool to derby today

077E6A97-B43F-4A40-AE33-30E981CE5804.jpg

a busy week coming up, may even get home at some point!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Is 424 out and about now. It's the only 37 I've never seen.

Jamie

424 was at the Crewe Gresty Bridge open day on Saturday 23rd July having been transferred from RVEL Derby in convoy on Thursday 21st. It was then returned to RVEL Derby the following week on either the Monday or Tuesday (25th/26th) for completion of it's overhaul.

• RMweb Premium

Nice line up of 37/4s on the shunt this morning

C5129F77-99B2-4021-B595-E540F886DEBA.jpg

And there's me thinking that the LL blue 37/4s were stayiNg on the Cumbrian coast... I may have to finish mine off for Deadman's Lane..

Cheers,

mICK

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've always felt that Whitehaven, especially the tunnel entrance at the south end, was designed as an example for a short of space modeller. Thanks for the detail in the photos.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

some pics before bed

calibration runs with PLP train, i picked it up at the end of the runs and took it over to crewe for stabling

stoke on trent

DSCF2654.jpg

crewe

DSCF2655.jpg

DSCF2660.jpg

then into basford hall and back out via gresty lane which meant the train was now turned ready for its run tonight

back into crewe

DSCF2662.jpg

DSCF2663.jpg

DSCF2665.jpg

and stabled for the day

DSCF2668.jpg

• Like 19

Nice line up of 37/4s on the shunt this morning

C5129F77-99B2-4021-B595-E540F886DEBA.jpg

Interesting to spot the differences in end details for 3 ostensibly identical locos:

Number and position of lamp irons is different for all three.

Presence (or not) of the orange socket to the left of the headlight.

Marker lights and their surroundings.

The end number style.

And possibly more. As always, work from a photograph of the chosen locomotive when making a model.

Presumably a result of the locos having been modified in different places at different times and latterly by/for different owners.

• Like 1

Interesting to spot the differences in end details for 3 ostensibly identical locos:

The end number style.

And possibly more. As always, work from a photograph of the chosen locomotive when making a model.

Presumably a result of the locos having been modified in different places at different times and latterly by/for different owners.

and lamp brackets...

• RMweb Premium

The end number style.

Two of the three have DRS style multi connectors below the plated headcode.

Lamp brackets/lamp irons varied from some of their historic use. The upper bracket was often used for a "car headlamp" style light on the likes of the Central Wales and Highland lines.

The DRS pair have LED style red markers - apparently of different sizes, whereas Colas 37421 still retains the filament lights and is also missing Jim's favourite bit of equipment (not), the central plough.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Had a few days off but here are a few from tonight, prepped a train in Carlisle ready for it to head along the Cumbrian coast

37057 at the tail end

E0587058-B76D-4561-A771-16A51E3A320B.jpg

Royal Mail unit

7891E56F-91BF-4DB0-8338-12CB229A5FD6.jpg

37057 again

1CC32DEE-B5E0-41C6-95ED-FADE74F9B7B6.jpg

37403 passing on the Cumbrian coast service

A9388482-1FA9-4D0F-9CE1-461875B9927C.png

FCC12613-7AA6-47D2-ACBA-BAF3AF83494E.png

Independance day pendolino

729A7D51-2492-4818-ACF8-FB1686B1B76B.jpg

Fellow rmwebber 21Alizard traction conducting the train

2C16C5B0-628C-46D0-AF91-5535E7457FE2.jpg

And a video

https://youtu.be/mGdEho-WYC8

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Barrow looks to be in a right state with regards to  weeds how long since it had a visit from the weed train.?

I've edited your post (there goes any further invites to the Furness exhibition................)

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

some from last night

doncaster to derby with 37116 and 37175 on one plp train

doncaster

DSCF2729.jpg

derby (using a class 73 as a tripod!)

DSCF2730.jpg

then it was back to doncaster with 37602 and 37609 with a different plp train

1866E05E-5CC0-480B-A8EB-1ECF3A8E6FFE.jpg