Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Ill be honest, i was told they were called cemetery sidings

Which is also what I have always known them as  (partly because they are not far from the cemetery) - I can't recollect when I first heard that name but have a pretty good idea that it was probably around 1968/69 when a colleague and I had a day at Oxford with the DI.  I can definitely remember Ron, the DI, telling us the names of the Up side sidings at Oxford Station North (the Exchange, and Jericho) so he quite possibly told us about Cemetery Sdgs.

The official name on the Oxford Station South Signalbox diagram was 'Down Sidings' however there is one reference, en passant, in Vaughan's book 'Heart of The Great Western' to them as 'West Midland Sdgs'.  The naming in Quail is rather odd - they were not named until the 3rd edition at which time they became 'West Midlands (sic) Sidings'.  In the 4th edition they have become 'West Midlands (sic) /Cemetery Sidings'.  The name 'West Midlands' is obviously incorrect - if anything it should be 'West Midland', i.e. after the railway company of that name (although it only had a life of 3 years, from 1860 to 1863);  as the sidings were used to stable coaching stock for northbound workings that might be how they got that name?

It's the "West Midland Sidings" always has been for the 40 years I have been on the footplate. 

Here is a picture of a DMU in it in 1980 waiting to form a Banbury service.

post-6766-0-32278000-1431444756.jpg

One interesting working that used to use them was a light loco would sit in there early evening to go on the back of a Paddington arrival. The Paddington loco would detach in the platform and go to shed and then the loco, now on the London end, would reverse the stock right up and over Oxford North Jct to the up goods. Then it would go forward up the goods to form a London service. The shunter would be in the rear coach with one hand on the butterfly valve! Remember we did this without radio's as well! As far as I know we did not hit anyone on the crossing to the Trap allotments.

Picture of this service reversing over Oxford North Jct and returning up the goods. Note the cleared down goods trackbed the last time it was cleared 15 years ago!

post-6766-0-59055600-1431444757.jpg

post-6766-0-36970400-1431444759.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Aint going to argue with your 40 years experience bryan, ive only been going to oxford for 2 years!!

Wasn't you on the shunt job in hinksey this morning was it?

Had an interesting occurance this morning, we were a bit late (10 mins) departing hinksey and once out on the mainline we got greens tgrough the station towards wolvercote, there was a 180 unit departing the down platform as we passed through that i assumed was making its way into the down sidings but no, as i passed i noticed there were passengers on board obviously bound for the cotswold line, they held him at OX76 for us to clear wolvercote jn! That doesnt happen very often, passenger being held for a late running freight

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

Yes it was me in the yard today. Started at 05:00 to take a car train up to Cowley and back first then 2 1/2 hours shunting!

Only thing I could find of interest to take a picture of today was this flower in the Hinksey "Nature Reserve"/Yard.

Anyone know what it is?

post-6766-0-24272700-1431453147.jpg

• Like 6

Jim, Talking of shunting yard.  May be a stupid question, but in a big yard dose the signalman/controller allocate which stock goes where.

Or has the driver a plan of the stock arrangement?

This was a Notts Tram in 2011, in the town center, thought it looked slightly diff to your ones Jim.

Gordon W

post-9384-0-28339900-1431453086_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes it was me in the yard today. Started at 05:00 to take a car train up to Cowley and back first then 2 1/2 hours shunting!

Only thing I could find of interest to take a picture of today was this flower in the Hinksey "Nature Reserve"/Yard.

Anyone know what it is?

attachicon.gifflower.jpg

looks like aquilegia very good at self seeding

Guest B Exam

This was a Notts Tram in 2011, in the town center, thought it looked slightly diff to your ones Jim.

Gordon W

The tram is one of the original batch (201-215) in the as delivered livery. Since then, they have been refurbished and repainted to match the new trams (216-237) that are about to start squadron service in the next few months when the extentions to Clifton and Chilwell open. The extentions should of opened last Dec, but is heavily delayed until at least August/Sept this year.

• RMweb Gold

been out road learning/refreshing 

had a run down to worcester via stourbridge and kidderminster 

the weather was so bad i hardly got any pics, it just rained constantly from getting off the train at smethwick until i got back on the train home at new st, of course being in someone elses cab the camera was away

just 4 pics

worcester forgate St, first time ive ever been there!

DSCF9965.jpg

had a wander down to the road, nice bridge!

DSCF9966.jpg

then went back to droitwich spa for a look, some nice signals here, apparently the one on the other side (facing away from us) has been relocated, it used to be over the same side of the track as im stood!

the left arm on the platform end signal takes you into the goods loop, the right takes you on to the signal behind the bridge

DSCF9967.jpg

which in turn sends you left to kidderminster and right towards bromsgrove

DSCF9968.jpg

and that was about it, went back via moor st where 68012 was sat in the platform 

06FAA0A8-DCAF-4C6B-983B-37422D849878.jpg

going to have another day down at worcester tomorrow, this time going to shrub hill, hopefully it wont rain so much!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that Up Starter at Droitwich Spa has been moved over to the left hand side of the line and considerably reduced in height - I wonder if that in fact makes it much harder to see than it was against a sky background, and visible a lot earlier, especially if coming from the Stoke Works direction?

If you go back a very long time the Down Main Intermediate Home (the one with the centre pivot arms at the end of the platform) had three dolls as it in effect repeated the Inner Home in advance of it at the divergence of the Stoke Works Line, but it was reduced to two dolls by, probably, the 1930s if not earlier.  Some years ago I was very lucky to find a photo of it (posted below) in a very mixed auction lot - not the best of photos alas but at least somebody got a picture of it before it went.  And I forgot to add - interesting to note that even back then it had a track circuit in rear of it.

A bit over 20 years ago I had a less than entertaining battle with lineside shrubbery and stinging nettles in order to get a picture of Droitwich Spa's Up Main Distant which was by then one of the very few worked semaphore distants (other than lower arm) still remaining in use on the WR.

post-6859-0-45797300-1431642072_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

Hi Jim,

I notice in your fine sequence of "70" photos that when the loco and train are stationary, both lower marker lights are active, but the headlight is off. While on the move, when the headlight is activated, the adjacent marker light is off. I'm about to make some circuit changes to my Bachmann loco to enable the LokSound decoder to drive the lights in a similar manner, but before I fire up the soldering iron, can you please confirm that I have a correct understanding of how you use the lights?

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

Some things don't change much.  Pictures under the bridge could have been sixty years ago; signal box, semaphores, discs and all that lovely pointwork.  Not a weed in sight either!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

I notice in your fine sequence of "70" photos that when the loco and train are stationary, both lower marker lights are active, but the headlight is off. While on the move, when the headlight is activated, the adjacent marker light is off. I'm about to make some circuit changes to my Bachmann loco to enable the LokSound decoder to drive the lights in a similar manner, but before I fire up the soldering iron, can you please confirm that I have a correct understanding of how you use the lights?

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

when the lights are on "marker" you just get the 2 matching markers illuminated, when you put the headlight on the marker on that particular goes off, its nothing to do with being stationary its just me turning off lights!

anyway a few from today, much better, drier day

galton bridge

DSCF9970.jpg

DSCF9971.jpg

unfortunatly the driver on the train was a post qualified driver so i couldnt ride with him so i got off at kidderminster and waited for the next train to shrub hill

had a wander over to the svr as i had an hour to spare

73952 in the platform at kiddy

DSCF9972.jpg

28XX arriving in from bridgnorth

DSCF9974.jpg

class 20 ready to set off to bridgnorth, i know the driver on the 20 as he is a colas driver too, had he not had a trainee with him i could have had a ride out to bridgnorth but i needed to get on with my road learning!

DSCF9976.jpg

DSCF9978.jpg

DSCF9981.jpg

28XX running round the train

DSCF9983.jpg

DSCF9985.jpg

back to the station for a train to shrub hill

DSCF9986.jpg

into shrub hill for a look round

fine array of signals at the birmingham end of the station

DSCF9996.jpg

FGW heading towards Hereford

DSCF9998.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

a LM train arriving into platform 2 on a subsiduary signal as the platform was already occupied

DSCF9999.jpg

platform 2 signal, it has a drop down indicator to tell the driver which route he is going on, in this case birmingham

DSCF0005.jpg

i caught that particular train out to droitwich spa, changed trains and back to foregate st!

DSCF0008.jpg

then walked back over to shrub hill

DSCF0009.jpg

looking back towards norton jn, a LM 172 in the centre stabling road and a witlocks end train in the platform

DSCF0010.jpg

and turning 180 degrees you can see the yellow shunting disc and "banjo" signal 1/2 way down the platform

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF9995.jpg

london bound 180

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

passing a hereford bound 180

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

that was about it for photos, got a train back to galton bridge and headed home, a fatality at norton bridge delayed me a bit but not by much

on a course next week in 'ampshire so not back to road learning til the following week. broke the back of it, a good few hours more round shrub hill though, have a look in the box etc

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

If you're in 'ampshire next week, will you be eventually venturing down to Dorset on the Cl.70s Jim?

no, on a course, so no trains for me to drive next week, may get a few pics out and about though

Interesting to see those pics of the Droitwich/Worcester area, used to be my old stomping ground (albeit as an occasional customer passenger). Is there any particular reason why the old semaphore signals have survived in that area so long?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see those pics of the Droitwich/Worcester area, used to be my old stomping ground (albeit as an occasional customer passenger). Is there any particular reason why the old semaphore signals have survived in that area so long?

Really boils down to circumstance and happenstance I think.  After the 1973 rationalisation the mechanical kit was in fairly good order so it was low priority for a resignalling scheme and it seemed to have stayed that way.  I developed a further rationalisation proposal in 1984 and it became an approved scheme on which some work was actually carried out but then it was left in limbo due to lack of engineering resources and it was eventually cancelled.  At the same time I drew up a revised track layout proposal for the whole area and an SFD (Signalling facilities Drawing) was done for that but there was no formal authority to develop a scheme - or even prepare estimates - due to shortage of funds, so that one also died a death.

Subsequently - in post 'big railway' employment I had two more (separate) cracks at producing a scheme proposal, one of which was in connection with a review of facilities should the new Parkway station go ahead and the other was for some other local council ideas plus increasing reliability and capacity on the Cotswold Line.  By then - almost 20 years on from my first crack at it - things had changed drastically and I had therefore moved on from pulling things out layout wise to putting a  few things in.  Some of the latter actually happened - but almost certainly not entirely off my detailed proposals as it's a bit different from my ideas - with the Cotswold Line doubling a few years after that although the signalling design for that was done by the office where I had been working on a consultancy basis.

Now I understand the Worcester are is to be subsumed into the new 'signalling centre' or whatever it's called in the West Midlands. 

Sorry for the odd question Jim but do colas currently have a pair of 50's on hire as a pair passed Kingsbury today ( green and NSE ) with wagons I'm sure I normally see behind a 56