Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

no but some drivers do, or leave them at locations and take the keys which causes problems for the rest of us who turn up to find a  locked up van and have to book a taxi, its actually a big issue at the moment 

I can imagine.. We had a van to carry us between platform and Control Centre in France, which you'd normally have your relief take back. Sometimes, however, people would leave the van on the platform, keys in ignition, and take an earlier train. The problem was that this van had a design feature where the doors would lock if it was left parked with engine off after a certain time; just what you don't want to find when it's tipping down, and no-one remembers where the spare key is..

• RMweb Premium

big job tomorrow, sinfins crewe to carlisle then due to staff shortage its pass back to crewe to work the logs back to carlisle and into lodge!

Does that mean you're S&C southbound on Friday?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

big job tomorrow, sinfins crewe to carlisle then due to staff shortage its pass back to crewe to work the logs back to carlisle and into lodge!

If you need a brew, stop just before Hest Bank crossing and I'll pass you one over the fence.

If it was the day I am thinking of I bet you where fed up of the sight of that underground stock! Past it at Dorridge, then passed by it at Fenny and then past it again at Banbury. I should imagine you where questioning the sanity (and parentage!) of the signalmen.

• RMweb Gold

If it was the day I am thinking of I bet you where fed up of the sight of that underground stock! Past it at Dorridge, then passed by it at Fenny and then past it again at Banbury. I should imagine you where questioning the sanity (and parentage!) of the signalmen.

yeah that was monday, nice not to go in at dorridge though, a glance at RTT showed the passenger trains that were normally looped for were running between 25 and 45 mins late, fair dos to the signaller on the north warwick line he rang us on the gsm-r to say we would be getting a green at bentley heath (instead of into the loop) as they had a margin to keep us running!

Where are the cement tanks in the last photograph?

walsall

• Like 1

yeah that was monday, nice not to go in at dorridge though, a glance at RTT showed the passenger trains that were normally looped for were running between 25 and 45 mins late, fair dos to the signaller on the north warwick line he rang us on the gsm-r to say we would be getting a green at bentley heath (instead of into the loop) as they had a margin to keep us running!

walsall

Do you ever get looped going the other way, I'm referring to the back loop at Dorridge station not the platform line.

According to my 8X09 cabride DVD, the class 20s used to be sent that way as none of the platform lines were cleared for the tube stock (obviously now not the case), at the time the only booked working through the down loop (though going in an up direction).

• RMweb Premium

If it's political just tell me to shut up but just wondered why the Carlisle logs usually in the hands of a 66 need replacing with a 60. I can understand the reliability issues of the 56's on the Exeter/Baglan Bay services needing replacement but the 60 on the face of it seems a little extreme.......lol!!!!!!!

Colas can make more/extra revenue by hiring out their 66's to other operators that have 66 knowledge, such as Freightliner when required. So it makes some sense to keep the 60's on Colas only jobs. AT least we're likely to see some rotation of the fleet on the logs as they return to Toton for B exams. So no September-May solid 66849 anymore!

Rumours abound that there maybe some orange/yellow/black action on yellow trains....................................................!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you ever get looped going the other way, I'm referring to the back loop at Dorridge station not the platform line.

According to my 8X09 cabride DVD, the class 20s used to be sent that way as none of the platform lines were cleared for the tube stock (obviously now not the case), at the time the only booked working through the down loop (though going in an up direction).

I have been in the loop northbound but only once, the problem is its 5mph so its time consuming

Plans are afoot to relay it, basically the old slow lines which are still in situ towards lapworth will be reinstated as loop lines with 40mph lead ins for both the platform and goods loop, moving them back will also extrnd the good loop by a fair bit and allow liners to use it

Similar plans are on the table for hatton, the down goods to become a passenger loop to speed things along towards stratford

• Like 1

Hi Jim.

If you know who was on 6j37 going from hellifield to blackburn on Thursday can you thank them for getting though the section from Horrocsford to blackburn.I was going to hold them back because they was going to delay the passenger train ,But insead i gave him a run to make his time up. Passenger train was on time to.  

Mark

Edited by mark axlecounter

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim.

If you know who was on 6j37 going from hellifield to blackburn on Thursday can you thank them for getting though the section from Horrocsford to blackburn.I was going to hold them back because they was going to delay the passenger train ,But insead i gave him a run to make his time up. Passenger train was on time to.  

Mark

i'll thank him for you when i see him next week

and thank you for keeping him going!

• RMweb Premium

started off in crewe with 2 x 56 on the tanks, both running and in multi

eventually got a run at it between a pendolino and a desiro, 2 56s up shap with only 300 tons meant i had to shut off power, 60 at the bottom of the hill and 60 at the top with the power handle cracked open!

in at penrith

I thought it would be abit lively! :D

I remember a railtour I was on back in the 80's with a pair of 56's from Sheffield (in connection *I think* with a Tinsley openday). Cant remember exactly when or indeed any other details but I do remember that the exceleration with a pair of them on a passenger train was phenomenal! 

Jim,

Another superb set of images, thank you very much for sharing them with us! The driving itself must have been tiring enough without hopping in and out of the cab to take those lovely shots. What did it feel like opening up two 56s in tandem as Gary mentioned that they do produce a lot of traction?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

What are the RM 325s doing.

I thought Royal Mail had abandoned the Railways

Regards

Ian

Royal Mail DID abandon the railways and put the 325s into store. After a year or two though some 325s started reappearing on parcel work (initially dragged dead as hauled stock), particularly on the run up to Christmas when, thanks to the enormous growth in online shopping, extra carrying capacity was needed.  Over the years these services have increased slightly and some are now no longer seasonal, although they are a mere shadow of what was operated before with many of the special mail terminals built in the early 90s still lying unused.

What has definitely gone for good though is the traditional TPO plus also the idea of a dedicated network of mail trains criss crossing the country overnight. With the letter side of the business in decline and the desire to remove labour intensive manual sorting in favour of mechanised solutions trucks and planes are deamed as far more suitable.

Edited by phil-b259