RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Pipers Mead was the first layout I ever built, so this has to be the first river - a  hopeless mess involving small pebbles, diamond sand, flock powder ( weeds) and gloss varnish. At the time my wife thought it was amazing, she even thought I was amazing and so did Cyril Freezer who gave it center page spread in the RM !

Anyway, here it is, the worst river in the history of railway modelling bar none !

post-18579-0-50578700-1371468460.jpg

• Like 3

Pipers Mead was the first layout I ever built, so this has to be the first river - a  hopeless mess involving small pebbles, diamond sand, flock powder ( weeds) and gloss varnish. At the time my wife thought it was amazing, she even thought I was amazing and so did Cyril Freezer who gave it center page spread in the RM !

Well Allan, we still think you are amazing :scratchhead:

I don't know about  dear old Cyril's judgement sometimes, he always used to say that my articles were "Oven Ready" ...just before burning them I suppose.

cheers,

Iain

Piper's Mead...oh, for my lost, misspent youth...

Hi Jonte, a few rust shots for you but I'd put Ian's out in front and you would never believe how hard that was to say !

The corrugated sheeting is Slaters and with the roof covered, but not yet attatched to the building, it's brushed over - downwards strokes only - with Colron Georgian Medium Oak Wood Dye then immediately dust coated with Acrylic Matt Black aerosol which reacts with the dye to good effect then when dry lightly sand down - again, downwards only - untill the roof looks well weathered then to finish, flatten out the sheen with a rag dipped in clean thinners.

However Jonte, experiament first.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-78616900-1371472505.jpgpost-18579-0-05363800-1371472542.jpgpost-18579-0-09596300-1371472569_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-97594600-1371472896_thumb.jpg

BTW, the loco's were weathered in about 5 minutes flat ! - can't be doing with all that day long messin' about with every  weathering aid and technique known to man kind -  thinners, cotton buds and you name it -  where all I do is to spray the whole loco with matt varnish then when dry, work it over with rust coloured weathering powder or even powder paints - then spend the rest of the day freeing off the side rods and valve gear to get it to run !!!

So, swings and roundabouts I guess.

Allan.

Iain / Allan,

Do either of you have a recipe for corrugated asbestos roofs re the colouring; including the yellow lichen and moss which seems to grow on the stuff?

Hi Paul.

The way I'd go would be to brush the corrugations downwards with Colron Medium Oak Wood Dye again then lightly spray over the dye while it's still wet with an acrylic light grey where the dye will bleed through in places to good effect then to apply litchen growth, try this - ON A SPARE SECTION FIRST !

Lithchen spores are usually yellowish white and for this I dip an old tooth brush into the paint, point it towards the job, than draw a stanley knife blade over the bristles and towards you, which will then splatter the paint over the surface resulting in random litchen like blobs - and you will ALSO get covered in random litchen like blobs !

Hope this helps.

Allan

• Like 1

Guest jonte

Jonte,

here's a shot of the roof which hopefully shows the effect a little more clearly. I should mention that Allan has some rather clever rust techniques too, you might be able to persuade him to tell us about them!

cheers,

Iainattachicon.gif08 copy (800x600).jpg

Thanks, Iain.

Fabulous!!

Jonte

• Like 1

Guest jonte

Hi Jonte, a few rust shots for you but I'd put Ian's out in front and you would never believe how hard that was to say !

The corrugated sheeting is Slaters and with the roof covered, but not yet attatched to the building, it's brushed over - downwards strokes only - with Colron Georgian Medium Oak Wood Dye then immediately dust coated with Acrylic Matt Black aerosol which reacts with the dye to good effect then when dry lightly sand down - again, downwards only - untill the roof looks well weathered then to finish, flatten out the sheen with a rag dipped in clean thinners.

However Jonte, experiament first.

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifIMG_0204.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0206.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0207.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0075.jpg

Another masterpiece, Allan. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the top tip too. I'm sure there's some Colron lurking somewhere in the murky depths of the garage. I shall heed your warning, however, if it can happen, it will happen to me!!

Best wishes,

Jonte

• Like 1

Iain / Allan,

Do either of you have a recipe for corrugated asbestos roofs re the colouring; including the yellow lichen and moss which seems to grow on the stuff?

Hi Paul, I covered this very subject in great detail on my blog here  http://iainrobinsonmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/clay-dries-progress-3.html

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Iain

Here's another shot showing how Styrene reacts to Colron Dyes,

For this I just brushed the dye on in downward strokes and kept dragging the brush down until it 'picked' up on the plastic and something akin to the worst paint job possible !

But, again as with everything else that involves styrene and Colron - try it out first on a piece of scrap.

The doors on the bottom half of the pic show the results of spraying a dust coat of SINGLE acrylic over a coat of still wet wood dye where it will instantly craze.

post-18579-0-31338700-1371483643.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

BTW, the loco's were weathered in about 5 minutes flat ! - can't be doing with all that day long messin' about with every  weathering aid and technique known to man kind -  thinners, cotton buds and you name it -  where all I do is to spray the whole loco with matt varnish then when dry, work it over with rust coloured weathering powder or even powder paints - then spend the rest of the day freeing off the side rods and valve gear to get it to run !!!

So, swings and roundabouts I guess.

Allan.

You could always hold the loco in a vice and connect up the motor and spray while in motion.

Have you every tried thinners and weathering powders, the streaking effects are quite realistic.

Am building a full West Riding textile mill complex having got my technique down quite well. Will blog on its progress soon,  now that my work load has eased off.  :secret:

I love this thread, you both put up really great work. I am sad about the water content, I had hoped to steal ideas off you both. But with so much other excellence going on it's impossible to not drink in so many great ideas. I especially like the informative tips such as the glazing with spraying on wet paint. Glad your both back on track/thread.  :sungum:  

Edited by Jaz

Here's a quick pic of a very small 4mm scale halt I built recently for a customer. It was very broadly inspired by Shepherd's Halt on the Newquay line, but I changed things around and ended up making the walls from Das. Full details of construction are on my blog.  Although it was a small model, it took just as long as something more ambitious...there's a moral there somewhere!

post-18033-0-39878900-1371546620.jpg

• Like 4

Smashing little station Iain, dripping with character, I nearly went out and bought a packet of Das when I saw it !

Cheers.

Allan.

He has that effect on me too. I've still got a small packet of DAS and no idea what to do with it ;)

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick pic of a very small 4mm scale halt I built recently for a customer. It was very broadly inspired by Shepherd's Halt on the Newquay line, but I changed things around and ended up making the walls from Das. Full details of construction are on my blog.  Although it was a small model, it took just as long as something more ambitious...there's a moral there somewhere!

attachicon.gifStation three quarter view (640x408).jpg

Interesting.....

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1