"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

It fell off ?

When door handles break I have been known to use the wrong end of a spoon to open a door, is this what you planned for?

It would obviously need to be withdrawn from stores with all paper work filled out in triplicate!

It fell off ?

Provided it opens from the inside it shouldn't be too much of a problem as the signalman coming off shift can open the door for the one coming on!

Of course that assumes there's an inside toilet and the box is on a double track line so no token exchange is required.

• Like 1

Question: Who's the best model railway photographer in the business ?

Answer: Our very own boss, Andy Y !

I have just seen this months BRM suplement where the photography is absolutely stunning to say the least. No photoshop trickery here, just plain ol' aim and click - but of course, you can bet there's a whole lot more to it than that !

Terrific stuff boss. Simply the best

Cheers.

Allan.

PS: Can I scan some of it and put it up on here?

• Like 1

A SMALL BRANCHLINE GOODS SHED.

This is based on the goods shed that stood at Fairford until Beeching was allowed any where near it !

Naturally, as is my want, I've changed it around a bit although I've stuck to the leading dimensions.

Since the original had no windows whatsoever, I've added a large window to just one gable end - something like Tetbury but not so complex.

Anyway, here's progress so far and the first picture shows the gable end marked into a sheet of 40 thou styrene and what helps here that once you've scribed everything in, just run a dusty hand across all the lines where it should highlight all the marking.

post-18579-0-61577500-1405782808_thumb.jpg

Here the end section has been cut out and ready for the molding build up.

post-18579-0-60559000-1405782816_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-14323500-1405782825_thumb.jpg

When building up the molding detail, surround yourself with Evergreen and Plastruct strip - a single packet goes nowhere !

post-18579-0-57524900-1405782834_thumb.jpg

Then spray with Halfords acrylic.Here I chose Sandlewood Beige which is as close to GWR cream as makes no difference.

post-18579-0-47336000-1405782850_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-27475100-1405782864_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-14767800-1405782876_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 5

I just don't get enough time to drop in here...every time i do I am over awed....you make simple tasks look like a masterclass.Your work is always just so and beautifully finished.Even this 'simple' smacks of craftsmanship.

BRANCHLINE GOODS SHED ( FAIRFORD - ISH )

At the moment until my supplier comes back off holiday I'm right out of Wills Stone sheets and Evergreen boarding so what you see here was put together with off cuts so I just hope it doesn't notice too much ( like Robinson's rug ! )

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-76564900-1405873003_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-39370900-1405873013_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-63208800-1405873021_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-69328600-1405873031_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Allan,

I saw you were up late tiling again! I've noticed that it always seems to take about 3 hours for you to tile a roof (which beats my 3 weeks hands down). Hope you thrashed that computer at chess.

The "woodwork" look superb on the Fairford shed and I particularly like all the lightning conductors sticking out of the roof!

Cheers John

FAIRFORD GOODS SHED.

So far, so good.

Still waiting for Wills stone sheets to finish off the back and other various bits and pieces essential to goods sheds welfare so I should have it beat tomorrow.

Cheers.

Allan

Sweven.

Computer chess severely whupped - it, not me.post-18579-0-57370800-1406036582_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-19041700-1406036592_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-52681400-1406036603_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-52326500-1406036613_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-68892300-1406036628_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-05300400-1406036643_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

WATLINGTON, STATION (with liberties )

Apart from different windows and random stone instead of flint and brick, I've stuck faithfully to all the prototype dimensions and this really is a station where you wouldn't have room to swing a cat - little more than a glorified bus shelter really suitably tweed up  with ornate barge boards and spikey ridge tiles.

Here then are the four gables.

Cheers

Allan.

post-18579-0-74643400-1406145449_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-54907600-1406145461_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-03977400-1406145471_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-72300500-1406145485_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-74771700-1406145500_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Just gotta get this off my chest - BBC's 'Escape To The Country' and this is tweeness at its best  where twees write in so that they can throw their wealth in your face as you struggle to find this weeks rent.

The missus watches it just to look at the houses, I can't help but hear it from the modelling room.

What we have here is Mr and Mrs Naff and the tweest couple imaginable looking for a "Family retreat " with a veggie plot so he can grow 50 times more veg than they can possibly eat, whilst she, and just perfect for the village WI movement, wants an industrial sized kitchen so that she can  "Entertain, and make jam "

All this is accompanied with what I call a "Money laugh " that bursts forth in false  volumes that says  "Weve got half a million, what have you got, ha, ha, hah ?!" - then there's the presenter dragging them from house to house, from county to county fully loaded with unwavering cliches and spouting them at every house, at every opportunity.

" ....and this beautiful 900 year old pile has a large COSY lounge, a barn sized kitchen, and upstairs there's 5 double bedrooms and - a FAMILY BATHROOM !! oh, and outside a lawn the size of Heathrow and a vegetable plot for Harrold. - It never deviates but, I have a question - "what's a " Family Bathroom " fer chrissakes ! ?

Well I can imagine Harrold and Maud saying to the grandchildren " It's our 'little' hide away popsycorns, but I'm afraid there's one thing missing  - we haven't got a family bathroom, just a plain ol' bathroom you see so therefore if you want the loo anytime theres a  shed at the bottom of the garden ( next to my veggie plot ) with a hole in the ground or if it's in the middle of the night, there's a bucket in the coal shed, oh, and you can't wash in it either but there's a duck pond in the village, don't forget to wash behind your ears "

Stupid bxxxxy twee programe

Anyway,I'm now off to the coal shed for a pee cos we haven't got a ' family' bathroom....

Edited by allan downes

Just gotta get this off my chest - BBC's 'Escape To The Country' and this is tweeness at its best  where twees write in so that they can throw their wealth in your face as you struggle to find this weeks rent.

The missus watches it just to look at the houses, I can't help but hear it from the modelling room.

What we have here is Mr and Mrs Naff and the tweest couple imaginable looking for a "Family retreat " with a veggie plot so he can grow 50 times more veg than they can possibly eat, whilst she, and just perfect for the village WI movement, wants an industrial sized kitchen so that she can  "Entertain, and make jam "

All this is accompanied with what I call a "Money laugh " that bursts forth in false  volumes that says  "Weve got half a million, what have you got, ha, ha, hah ?!" - then there's the presenter dragging them from house to house, from county to county fully loaded with unwavering cliches and spouting them at every house, at every opportunity.

" ....and this beautiful 900 year old pile has a large COSY lounge, a barn sized kitchen, and upstairs there's 5 double bedrooms and - a FAMILY BATHROOM !! oh, and outside  your own racecourse and a vegetable plot for Harrold. - It never deviates but, I have a question - "what's a " Family Bathroom " fer chrissakes ! ?

Well I can imagine Harrold and Maud saying to the grandchildren " It's our 'little' hide away popsycorns, but I'm afraid there's one thing missing  - we haven't got a family bathroom, just a plain ol' bathroom you see so therefore if you want the loo anytime theres a  shed at the bottom of the garden ( next to my veggie plot ) with a hole in the ground or if it's in the middle of the night, there's a bucket in the coal shed, oh, and you can't wash in it either but there's a duck pond in the village "

Anyway,I'm now off to the coal shed for a pee cos we haven't got a ' family' bathroom....

Alan

The trouble is that if you live in the south east near London then perhaps your house is worth £500,000,  mines worth a bit less but its full up here and those wanting to buy have to pay a small fortune. My wife watches these shows as well, we are planning to move a bit further out to be near our daughter and its homes under the hammer that she pays attention to thankfully, loves the big country piles but does not want to live in the country. And yes we both want a railway shed out in the garden, I want my own pit she wants a train free house.

Anyway you could build a house, can't you !!!!! :jester:

" ....and this beautiful 900 year old pile has a large COSY lounge, a barn sized kitchen, and upstairs there's 5 double bedrooms and - a FAMILY BATHROOM !! oh, and outside a lawn the size of Heathrow and a vegetable plot for Harrold. - It never deviates but, I have a question - "what's a " Family Bathroom " fer chrissakes ! ?

Well I can imagine Harrold and Maud saying to the grandchildren " It's our 'little' hide away popsycorns, but I'm afraid there's one thing missing  - we haven't got a family bathroom, just a plain ol' bathroom you see so therefore if you want the loo anytime theres a  shed at the bottom of the garden ( next to my veggie plot ) with a hole in the ground or if it's in the middle of the night, there's a bucket in the coal shed, oh, and you can't wash in it either but there's a duck pond in the village, don't forget to wash behind your ears "

The other thing is that there have been some classic moments where they've been looking for a house in say Devon but are shown houses in Somerset then they wonder why Harold and Maud don't like anything. Always look for the classic comment at the end "house prices correct in 2008". Yes my wife watches it too!

• Like 1

Allan said: "This is looking less and less like Watlington station every day !"

Watlington as it should have been if the Grim, Wet and Rusty had had an Allan Downes instead of that Brunel fella?

Just found another interesting building from Watlington in the form of Watlington Town and Market Hall. Worthy of the Downes touch?

post-14791-0-49084300-1406221656.jpg

Picture from Wikipedia released under Creative Commons Licence into public domain.

Change of subject: I've just been stocking up on Will's materials in the form of Wood Planking, Tongue & Groove Boarding, Limewashed Stone and Cement Render for my Scottish buildings, all new stock and I'm delighted to note that it's all 1mm thick rather than the 2mm or so we've been used to. It also seems to be slightly softer and more flexible than previously and makes cutting windows, etc far easier without a lump hammer and chisel! A new, welcome trend?

Regards

Bill

• Like 4

The other thing is that there have been some classic moments where they've been looking for a house in say Devon but are shown houses in Somerset then they wonder why Harold and Maud don't like anything. Always look for the classic comment at the end "house prices correct in 2008". Yes my wife watches it too!

Better still Mullie is the classic all timer "Yes, and this is the kitchen where the present owner has just forked out half a million on entire new units and a hay burner come fire hazard - but, you could rip it all out and have enough room for Harrolds wine making " - Yo !

And, as we speak, there's an episode showing  right now where I've just heard the Mr and Mrs false money laugh where the equally naff presenter has just said " Well, there it is, our mystery house. It's got 50 bedrooms, 90 holiday lets and its own mountain range all for one million under budget. So what do you think  ( guys ) ?

"Hmm" said Mrs Naff as she shuffled in her horsey green wellies then turned to her husband leaning dangerously on a crippling lunch of game pie and a bottle or three of claret." Well, we really were looking for a house wth a family bathroom so maybe we could knock 'em down another mil or two eh preciousness ? "

Just seen the mystery house - a two up, two down, but hey ! It has got a FAMILY BATHROOM - YAY !!

Better still Mullie is the classic all timer "Yes, and this is the kitchen where the present owner has just forked out half a million on entire new units and a hay burner come fire hazard - but, you could rip it all out and have enough room for Harrolds wine making " - Yo !

And, as we speak, there's an episode showing  right now where I've just heard the Mr and Mrs false money laugh where the equally naff presenter has just said " Well, there it is, our mystery house. It's got 50 bedrooms, 90 holiday lets and its own mountain range all for one million under budget. So what do you think  ( guys ) ?

"Hmm" said Mrs Naff as she shuffled in her horsey green wellies then turned to her husband leaning dangerously on a crippling lunch of game pie and a bottle or three of claret." Well, we really were looking for a house wth a family bathroom so maybe we could knock 'em down another mil or two eh preciousness ? "

Just seen the mystery house - a two up, two down, but hey ! It has got a FAMILY BATHROOM - YAY !!

Sounds strangely familiar.

SCENE: The Beare Family in the bathroom:

Mr. Beare: Someones been bathing in my bath. It's still got water in it!

Mrs Beare: Someones been bathing in my bath and used my Chanel Perfumed soap!

Young Beare (male): Someones still bathing in my bath and it's a naked lady! YEAH! REEEESULT!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Beare: Dammit all! Not on my watch sirrah! Daphne! Take Junior downstairs. I'll deal with this!

Throws family out of bathroom and offers young lady a job as his personal secretary.........

Bill

Thinks! Must stop listening to Goon Shows..........

Edited by Mythocentric