London Transport Prairie L150

Roy P

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in assuming that this model is a work of fiction?

In that London Transport never owned or even ever operated such a steam engine in the past?

Yes it is fiction in the sense that London Transport never owned or operated Prarie tanks in the past. However as part of this years 'steam on the met' programme one of the locos taking part has indeed been painted up in the livery shown (just as a BR class 20 has been given the current LU livery for the event). Thus while it is certainly not authentic in historical terms, it does accurately reflect a genuine prototype being used in the 150 celebrations.

[edit for typo]

• RMweb Premium

An absolute work of fiction and admitted as such.  What ever turns you on, I suppose.  Some will buy them, others will rubbish the "fantasy" livery and others again might question the cost and the wisdom.  Still nothing ventured nothing gained.  

I wonder what the relative no-recurring costs are for producing a brand new model as against just a new livery for an existing one?  I'm guessing about ten to one? 

I can't imagine many EM or P4 conversions being done.......

Jeff

As there is going to be a real Prairie painted in the livery I really don't understand the 'Fictitious' comments. It is a model of a real Loco and people will be able to buy a model of it!

There have been several other similar examples of steam locos being painted in liveries which they never originally wore such as these:

http://Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images_large/31-450K.jpg&id=3&Item=31-450K&width=650&height=304

http://Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images_large/32-875K.jpg&id=20&Item=32-875K&width=650&height=307

http://Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images_large/32-825K.jpg&id=18&Item=32-825K&width=650&height=321

All of which have been a sellout success!

• RMweb Premium

The official web page says

Prairie on the Metropolitan line

London Underground has hired in a former Great Western (later British Railways) Prairie Tank locomotive as part of the 150th anniversary of the London Underground. Its first outing will be over the Spring bank holiday when it will appear in London Transport steam locomotive livery with the number L150 as a tribute to this unusual and special steam visitor to London. Although it never saw service on the London Underground network it was considered a perfect substitute for the real thing because of this type of locomotive’s impressive operational flexibility.

Please note that due to the nature of running heritage trains, changes in the timetable or cancellations may be necessary.

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/vehicles-on-the-move

But thats not the only non authentic livery going to be seen this year, special edition class 20 anyone?

http://www.railwaystoday.com/2013/04/11/chopper-goes-underground/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/8616483870/

Don't forget, that favourite of many, 60163 Tornado, has only worn "ficticious" liveries since build, if you apply the same rules.... love it or loath it , L150 is NOT ficticious, it exists in real life!

(At least it isn't a GWR livery............)

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I do hope they've gauged it - those outside cylinders had a nasty habit of hitting things on some parts of the railway network.

The London Underground is quite generous when it comes to width. IIRC some of the rolling stock was among the widest standard gauge stock ever operated in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

Must be the new thing to paint GWR locos into maroon. First Olton Hall as Hogwarts Castle, now 5521 as L150. I must say though, they do suit maroon as something different.

True the Metropolitan Line between Paddington (Bishops Road) and Moorgate has one of the largest loading Gauges on the network - due to being originally built to Broad Gauge. However as was rightly stated further extensions have been to the smaller Standard Gauge & Sub Surface stock uses a smaller then mainline gauge anyway. The Red Panniers had to have the rainstrips on their cab roof re-positioned to fit in the Finchley Road tunnels - and they only just fitted with an inch or two to spare! The Red Prairie is a work of fiction because LT never operated them its simply a 'one-off' for a special event.

Which considering the relationship between the Great Western & Metropolitan - could have been seen as an insult if the original board of MET Directors were around to see it today :D

I look forwards to seeing the celebrations - but will be more interested in MET #1 & Sarah Siddons then this loco. 

Cheers,

~ Gary

Must be the new thing to paint GWR locos into maroon. First Olton Hall as Hogwarts Castle, now 5521 as L150. I must say though, they do suit maroon as something different.

The ex-GWR Panniers were maroon of course.  In fact the first 2, the original L90 & L91, were actually painted in Swindon for delivery to LT....however it was a shade or two lighter than the ex-Met steam stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Maroon.... Jubilee... all the die hards want it green. I would love a Bachmann Limited Ed of it as it is at the moment.

To be honest I quite like the idea of engines donning liveries similar to the type they would have operated with. Anyone else for a BR Green late crest B1? It could be something Bachmann can continue with...

Just seen both the prototype and model at Amersham. Model colour appeared to match 5521/L150 parked alongside same platform as sales stand.

Only a handful left for sale as of 17.00 tonight when my train left. At £97.99 it is only £23 more than many retailers are selling current batch of GWR models for and the extra money goes to Covent garden museum.

Yes, I bought one. Well it saved postage and, if sales team are to be believed, online pre-orders have been very good. I thought it a bit naughty selling the remaining stock before the pre-order engines have been despatched. My friend bought one as well and commented on the lack of Westinghouse equipment compared to L150 alongside. Not worried myself.

For the record, Met no 1 not working today due to bearing issues and not expected tomorrow either.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived