London Transport Prairie L150

Roy P

Despite buying yesterday, it is the lettreing style. I appreciate it follws the full size engine, but in my opinion, it would look better if the LT logo was in full along the tank and the L150 on the bunker or Cab side as per the Panniers. The LT logo looks lost as it is so small.

Just my opinion

Mike Wiltshire

The lettering and numbering follows the style used once the L.xx numbering was introduced, see for example L.30 on page 87 of the current Model Rail and, for example, this Flickr picture of L.46

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/8531456274/in/set-72157628964403227. Seems to be the standard layout but had to be altered on the Panniers with the number sited on the bunker.

Back home from Harrow and the first chance to take it out of the box. As I said before, as the museum benefits, It was never going to be much of a decision to buy. Besides I need something to annoy the over critical super scale purists (nothing I do not say to their face) when they pay their annual visit :mail:  to my line!

NIce model and a great weekend om the Met.

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-20090500-1369741948.jpg

post-9992-0-00209600-1369741950.jpg

post-9992-0-97946800-1369742041_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-06533700-1369742043_thumb.jpg

Interesting that the L.150 colour is a richer red than Sarah's - this seems to be more like the red that the first two panniers were delivered in from Swindon Works in the late fifties (according to Red Panniers).  For those that now own both L.150 and a Bachmann LT Pannier, are the colours the same?

Interesting that the L.150 colour is a richer red than Sarah's - this seems to be more like the red that the first two panniers were delivered in from Swindon Works in the late fifties (according to Red Panniers).  For those that now own both L.150 and a Bachmann LT Pannier, are the colours the same?

The Prairie is the same colour as the Pannier releases that have appeared over the last couple of years,and also the Kernow release,but not as dark as the original LTM release of some years ago.

Some of the photographs that I took at the weekend of the real loco appear to make the colour look much brighter than it actually is,whilst other appear to be spot on,as always with photography it depends on light conditions etc.

Just need a fit and pump and your well away.

20s next, have one in the line to respray

I think at least 20227 is to follow in model form - the Bachmann stand had one on display at the Swanage Diesel Gala earlier this month.

• RMweb Premium

I like it, not a fantasy model, maybe the 1:1 is a bit of a fantasy but other preserved locomotives have been repainted in liveries they never carried in service and it is good not to get too hung about these things and celebrate preservation and enjoy these old timers I think. I think it is easy to get hung up on things, lose perspective and end up a bit grumpy about this sort of stuff, I run all sorts of trains together on layouts (Southern steam with a CSX inter modal on the other track etc) and what the heck it is a hobby and is fun. Very nice!

• RMweb Premium

other preserved locomotives have been repainted in liveries they never carried in service

Aye.  Think class 40 ....... :(

I'm not sure about the different livers carried by No.12 and the Prairie.  IIRC (and from way before my time) MR locos  did wear a brighter shade than LT used later but I'll happily stand corrected and of course there are few if any colour images of those days to prove the point.

The Bachmann LT Pannier came in two distinctly separate shades. the first two, L91 and L99 were noticeably darker than the later models, so I  take it you're referring to the shade that Bachmann are using on the latest versions.

No, by 'first two panniers' I was referring to the full size original L90 and L91 painted by BR WR at the ex-GWR Swindon Works prior to delivery to LT. These two were subsequently scrapped and replaced by another two which also carried the numbers L90 and L91 and were painted by LT in a darker red. I think it is just a Bachmann quirk that they used different reds for their first two and later ones. Sarah Siddons is currently depicted in pre-war Metropolitan livery with original name-plates and full lining and evidently an even darker red.....

Archived