What's with all the coloured buttons below each post?

If you hover your cursor over each the mystery will be revealed!

What worries me more is that every time I go to write something either BOLD or underlined or strikethrough is on without me doing anything!  Is there any connection?

We should be told!  Rant, froth, gibber.................................... :ireful:

I noticed the forum go really slow about 30mins ago, and then they appeared, so I think the boss has been tinkering.  They seem to be an extension of the 'Like' feature.

Matt.

Edit: Adams442T beat me to it!

Can't hover on an iPad.

That'll learn yer!  I personally always carry a desktop cpu, monitor, keyboard and extension lead with me everywhere I go..............................

• RMweb Gold

It appears that the facility to see which of your posts had been liked has now gone. There used to be a 'Likes' section on your profile where you could see all the posts that had been liked, now there is just a little count, 1022/0/0 type of thing.

And hovering over a users avatar used to give their reputation, that has also gone. :-(

Andi

It appears that the facility to see which of your posts had been liked has now gone. There used to be a 'Likes' section on your profile where you could see all the posts that had been liked, now there is just a little count, 1022/0/0 type of thing.

And hovering over a users avatar used to give their reputation, that has also gone. :-(

Andi

I just had a look at my profile and the 'Likes' section has become a 'Ratings' section.  It shows how many of the new symbols (plus a couple not shown in posts) we've given and received.

Matt.

I,m trying to work a fix for the visibility of who's liked a post etc but in the interim you should be able to reveal this by going to My Settings - Notification Options - Content ratings and tick the notification box and you should then be able to click on the totals for each category after a post and see the breakdown.

Good to see people dismissing things before they know how they work as usual. ;-)

• RMweb Premium

The "Reputation" thing is still there when you hove over the profile but in a different place and new format.  Instead of simply gaining "ticks" we can now, it seems, have feedback given more or less as per eBay with positives and negatives.

Someone's been tinkering.  One or two of us have asked for a "dislike" button at times and now it seems we have one.  I'm not sure all the many options are terribly helpful and in their multitude might be more confusing than anything.  

We'll see what happens.  I've never been a fan of change for its own sake so if there's more than that behind it perhaps we could be informed.  That might even be cause to use one of the new icons ;)

I like and agree with the above posts. I also find them informative, funny, friendly, useful and interesting. I don't disagree with anything, except the craftsmanship button which I find indecipherable.

Confused of Sheringham.

• RMweb Gold

What worries me more is that every time I go to write something either BOLD or underlined or strikethrough is on without me doing anything!  Is there any connection?

No connection. It's a long-standing issue in some browsers. Solution -- when you click in the reply box, click near the bottom of it.

Martin.

I've never been a fan of change for its own sake so if there's more than that behind it perhaps we could be informed.  That might even be cause to use one of the new icons ;)

There's nothing sinister to it; it's an extension of the 'like' system but better 'rewards' useful or quality content. It gives the option to disagree (without negatively impacting someone's reputation) and also flag up when posts make no sense (indecipherable - again without negatively impacting reputation as Invision's own system would have done). Maybe some of the icons need addressing but here's a guide:

thumb_up.png Like

tick.png Agree

cross.png Disagree (neutral vote)

emoticon_grin.png Funny

award_star_gold_2.png Craftsmanship

information.png Informative

heart.png Friendly

rainbow.png Interesting

paintbrush.png Creative

spellcheck.png Indecipherable (neutral vote)

Hopefully it's an opportunity to give more meaningful feedback to a post.

• RMweb Premium

ABC might be interpreted as "Spell Checker".  What is the fundamental difference between "Thumbs Up" and "Tick"?  Both are positive feedback icons.  

I don't see anything sinister in this at all.  It's just change.  It might be worth bearing in mind that a fair number of us may be Asperger's or ASD sufferers for whom any change can be confronting.  Change needs to be balanced against the potential for stalemate and stagnation.   

Perhaps we need more than the one we've had before but not all of the ten now offered?

• RMweb Gold

What is the fundamental difference between "Thumbs Up" and "Tick"?  Both are positive feedback icons.

Thumbs Up is Thank You. Tick is Agree. Not necessarily the same thing.

Thumbs Up is needed so that all the existing posts in the database with accumulated Likes can be integrated in the new system.

Martin.

Apologies to the Mods for them having to lock my topic - but I did look in the correct place - didn't think about looking in wheeltappers - and don''t quite see why it should be here!

OK the hover help doesn't work (no surprise there) - Thanks Andy for the explanation. I'd click on "thanks" but don't seem to have a button for that.

Differentiating between "Like" and "Thanks" was probably athe only problem with the old "Like" button. Now I for one cannot see what the the difference is between all these options. So for me far too many to be worth bothering with. Surely a "Friendly" deserves an "Unfriendly" especially as there is often quite a bit of that. And while I'm adding even more buttons (contradicting, for the hell of it, the principle of KISS) how about a button saying "Misunderstood" as in your post needs rewording to better explain - we have had a few of those recently (I'm not trying to be negative just guiding to the poster that the response reads confusing or misunderstood. Better than putting in a post of "?????" which suffers the same problem.

Would it not been better to introduce these one at a time? What with the clutter of icons at the bottom of the page and banners and all sorts the pages are becoming all a bit too distracting from the dwindling area of genuine content.

Just seems like overkill to me. Not adverse to change but what has put me off RMweb amongst other things is this constant change for change's sake. Who exactly is RMweb trying to keep up with?

Moreover, what exactly was wrong with the likes system before? How did RMweb function before the likes system? How did we communicate on internet forums without a raft of buttons to press to indicate vague emotions and feelings?

There may be nothing sinister behind it, but that doesn't make it a positive change. In fact, looking at that list of what the buttons do, I think it's asking for more trouble. Why do we need to know what everyone thinks of everyone else's posts in ten different forms? Some sort of electronic kudos builder or attempt to decry people? This looks more divisive to me because the basic rule of "one mans meat is another mans poison" still applies.

I remain totally unconvinced that this is the sort of positive "tinkering" that should be going on when there are other outstanding projects which could have been prioritised (such as MI6 perhaps, which has been more or less put on the back burner for being too time consuming).

But then I'm not in charge or own the forum, do what would I know about prioritising...

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the problem of remembering which is which (so I will no doubt frequently be in helicopter mode while I 'hover' over the various options) I do wonder if some of them - but not all - might be recipe for a spot of falling out at some time?

The big problem is now deciding which to click if I both 'Like' something and 'Agree' with it ... decisions, decisions :scratchhead:

[snip]

Would it not been better to introduce these one at a time? What with the clutter of icons at the bottom of the page and banners and all sorts the pages are becoming all a bit too distracting from the dwindling area of genuine content.

Would it be posible to have just the 'Like' button shown, and instead of all the others showing as well like they are currently, have them in a sort-of pop-up box for people who wish to use them?

Matt.

Archived