What's with all the coloured buttons below each post?

I guess I have to be the grumpy one in this discussion...but to me the whole concept of and behind these buttons feels and looks lame and very 13 year old girl to me...they look 13 year old and girly and just the idea of having or even talking about likes,dislikes , friendly etc is juvenile IMHO. I mean really...the icons themselves look like something from a 12 year olds Facebook page or something. Sorry Andy...just my opinion and not meant as an attack on others thoughts or opinions.

• RMweb Gold

I can't find one that says 'Thanks' so which one do we use :scratchhead: ?  - 'Like' or 'Agree' or 'Interesting' (I just used the latter on a pics post as it happens)?

Sorry Mike, I was obviously so overcome with the excitement of the whole thing I imagined I'd seen one saying thanks!

Well, my use of the 'like' button was limited, 

it had to be very good/funny/etc. to make me

use it.

Now, it more trouble than it's worth, deciding

which is most appropriate to use.

(apart from the 2 'agree' I have used in this thread!)

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Nothing has changed - we merely have an optional enhancement, so I'm not sure where the reservations are coming from. In my entirely-unscientific observation, only a small % of members ever use "like", because I always see familiar names in the "liked this" zone, and I'm not clever enough to remember 17k names! If the new system encourages more feedback to a post, well and good. Positive feedback may encourage more posts, iffy feedback may make a poster think harder next time.

Those concerned that this derails RMweb altogether clearly see the forum in a different light. Perhaps pink isn't their colour.

I think the objections are caused by the childish icons. But they are merely symbols. It is the meaning which counts. Hopefully RMwebbers can understand the difference?

Sure, but it is the meaning I am having trouble with. Perhaps I'm too thick, too old, too caught out by the twittersphere but isn't this all one big waste of electrons (and space in the database)

Perhaps the novelty will wear off, but I'm finding that I'm clicking at random as I can't remember what they are for (even though I have bookmarked Andy's explanation another one has appeared)

Thankfully, its all a bit of harmless nonsense and not quite a thumbs down at the Colosseum.

Nothing has changed - we merely have an optional enhancement,

I didn't realise it was optional - how can I turn it off then? I've had signatures turn off but I can see how to turn this off. Personally I'm not keen on ratings per se and so a way to opt out would be nice. 

• RMweb Gold

Sure, but it is the meaning I am having trouble with. Perhaps I'm too thick, too old, too caught out by the twittersphere but isn't this all one big waste of electrons (and space in the database)

Perhaps the novelty will wear off, but I'm finding that I'm clicking at random as I can't remember what they are for

Hi Kenton,

The other 19,000 members have javascript turned on, and the icons announce their meaning when hovered over.

If the new "likes" reduce the number of one-line posts they will actually save database space.

The meanings seem clear enough to me. If someone posts an opinion, you can agree with it, or disagree with it, or ignore it. If someone posts a fact, you can find it interesting. If someone posts an idea, you can find it creative. If someone posts an explanation, you can find it informative. You can't disagree with a fact, but it's only a matter of time before someone does.

And if all else fails, you can still post a reply.

Martin.

Hi Kenton,

The other 19,000 members have javascript turned on, and the icons announce their meaning when hovered over.

Unless you're using an iPad, which as mentioned previously you can't "hover" over.

• RMweb Gold

Unless you're using an iPad, which as mentioned previously you can't "hover" over.

Hi Adrian,

So how does the browser work on an iPad? Millions of web sites use the onmouseover event. Are you saying they don't work on an iPad?

Martin.

The icons can be looked at; they're only a sample set which came with the modification so there's no need to get too bent out of shape about that.

With the old system I felt a like on a piece of excellent modelling was of no greater value than a like for some witticism. I've tried to concentrate on a classification which gives more clarity on why a person may like content (for example if ten people find it informative that could help a newbie whereas a number who disagree could give similar guidance without negatively impacting any score which some people seem pre-occupied with).

Some people seem more averse to change than me; maybe that's why RMweb does have so many other features; some may not like all of that functionaility but at least it provides opportunity. I don't mind people discussing or looking how to refine things or asking how something functions but negativity bores me.

Life gets more complicated by the minute, for us old 'uns...

I s'pose I'll get used to it.....

As my ol' Pappy used to say " Watch 'n learn, Son, watch 'n learn "

Regards, Ceptic.... (Still livin' 'n' learnin',....just..)

Are there still limits on how many posts we can add rating to ?

It shouldn't have the same cumbersome limitations the old system did.

We've also lost the ability to like replies to a blog post. The new range is there for the blog entry, but there's nothing for replies.

Nick

I'll investigate that as I would see that as retrograde. I was under the impression it should do.

Oh dear .. there isn't an FFS! button. Sorely needed on many levels.

Strikes me as using more complexity to solve the problem of complexity.

Hit me with the RED CROSS lol! :D

Hi Adrian,

So how does the browser work on an iPad? Millions of web sites use the onmouseover event. Are you saying they don't work on an iPad?

Martin.

more or less the same as any desktop browser, however there is no mouse icon to hover, you are either touching the screen or you're not. How the browser reacts depends on how the page is coded. I seem to remember that some onmouseover events required one click to trigger the hover action and then a second click to follow the action. As for the millions of pages with onmouseover events it all depends on how it is coded, if they are detecting mobile devices then what you see on the desktop may well be different to what you get on the iPad even with notionally the same browser.

I've no idea whether it works on an iPad or not as I've not tested it but BoD's posting on the first page implied that it doesn't.

I take it we don't get email notifications any more with this new system whatever rating you receive.

There should be the option to select it in My Settings > Notification options > Content Ratings. I didn't want to automatically select that for everyone and bloat their inbox.

Any opinions on what "friendly" might imply?

I had envisaged it relating to incoming newbies but maybe not. ;-)

Archived