What's with all the coloured buttons below each post?

Oh well gives us something to talk about ....

I have just spotted there are only 12 8 members online browsing this forum at the moment - that must be pretty close to an all-time low for a Sunday afternoon. Where is everyone?

busy modelling ? what when we can all have a groan at Andy for the latest change to our comfy chairs :D

[Ed] dropped to 8 while I posted ... must be driving them all away ....

• RMweb Gold

I have just spotted there are only 12 8 members online browsing this forum at the moment - that must be pretty close to an all-time low for a Sunday afternoon. Where is everyone?

15 on Wheeltappers

159 members, 204 guests, 11 anonymous users on RMweb.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I was just messing with it.................

What is the thing supposed to be that looks like a bomb falling - yet pops up as "Useful"?

Best, Pete.

I think it's meant to be a spanner.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Wheeltappers is, I believe, only accessible by members, so is the right place to discuss our dirty laundry.

The upgrade is harmless, might add a few seconds to one's reading of a post as you decide if it merits this or that, whereas the all-purpose "like" was seldom debatable for long. People who posted good, sharp pics of nice models or interesting prototypes - or even lousy ones from bygone days - would often get a "like" from me. Now most will get a "thanks".

Last question.

How will the "ratings received" be calculated please?

Presumably the green figure is "likes"; will it also include "agree"?

What does the black figure mean - I appear to have one of those now - is that good or bad?

Will the red figure just be "disagrees"?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Wheeltappers is, I believe, only accessible by members, so is the right place to discuss our dirty laundry.

The upgrade is harmless, might add a few seconds to one's reading of a post as you decide if it merits this or that, whereas the all-purpose "like" was seldom debatable for long. People who posted good, sharp pics of nice models or interesting prototypes - or even lousy ones from bygone days - would often get a "like" from me. Now most will get a "thanks".

I can't find one that says 'Thanks' so which one do we use :scratchhead: ?  - 'Like' or 'Agree' or 'Interesting' (I just used the latter on a pics post as it happens)?

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have accumulated "2" on the black numbers yet remain on "0" in the red whilst having been "marked" as "Indecipherable" by one person and disagreed with by one other.  Now I'm more confused than I need to be ..... 

Last question.

What does the black figure mean - I appear to have one of those now - is that good or bad?

Thanks.

I think its like Ebay. Green is positive, black neutral and red negative.

If you look at the ratings tab in your, or anyone else's, profile, you'll find the individual icons/responses are all colour coded. I assume this matches the green/black/red on the overview tab.

You may also notice that there are other icons for dislike, creative, old and dumb. Presumably, Andy is being wary of permitting access to the dislike, old and dumb buttons? However, I think this might mean that there is no way we can score 'red' points (dislike, old or dumb).

Nick

Last question.

Thanks.

When looking at someone's rating the green figure is a total of likes + thanks + other positive attributes, the grey or black is total neutral votes received (disagree or indecipherable) and the red one would count a total if I'd left anything which gave a negative score.

I may refine some of the categories (e.g. useful and informative are too similar).

• RMweb Premium

ABC might be interpreted as "Spell Checker".  What is the fundamental difference between "Thumbs Up" and "Tick"?  Both are positive feedback icons.  

I don't see anything sinister in this at all.  It's just change.  It might be worth bearing in mind that a fair number of us may be Asperger's or ASD sufferers for whom any change can be confronting.  Change needs to be balanced against the potential for stalemate and stagnation.   

Perhaps we need more than the one we've had before but not all of the ten now offered?

Maybe you'll be first to collect a full set?

• RMweb Premium

I maybe an old dinosaur at heart but I surely can't be the only one that wishes we could just have our RmWeb back without all it's 'improvements' and updates for an updates sake? Who is all this, as far as I can see, pointless tinkering and gimmicks for exactly? We had a 'like' button, very simple and obvious for everyone to use, now ten different icons. I really don't care who likes, dislikes, agrees or otherwise with me, if I did I wouldn't bother posting anything out of fear!

• RMweb Gold

Andy, can we have a ruling about "Craftsmanship"? Does it apply to the literary qualities of a post, or the modelmaking described or illustrated?

And the spanner/wrench has now vanished, to be replaced with a paintbrush. Fine scale modelling replaced with RTR?

Martin.

The font used for the ratings need to be bigger for more easily visible ego massaging, other than that when it settles down, after a few tweaks, it should prove more informative if used properly.

As has been mentioned, you can't hover with an iPad so you can't find out what the symbols mean.

Take a look at the 'Ratings' tab on your, or anyone else's, profile. All icons are shown with their names.

I notice Andy has now managed to hide 'old' and 'dumb', but 'dislike' and 'useful' are still there. Maybe we'll get a different choice every day?

Nick

Archived