What's with all the coloured buttons below each post?

• RMweb Gold

Any opinions on what "friendly" might imply?

Not necessarily on many modelling threads, perhaps, but we do get people hard up against life in various forms, and a compassionate, supporting icon seems appropriate, while "like" might imply "I'm glad you're in the poo!". The Wheeltappers' thread Early Risers will see a lot of this - for the reason that people do post horrid things and other people care.

I can see the advantage of adding the feature to replace 'like', but I have had three notifications in as many minutes to tell me someone has rated a post.

There is no way of knowing if the message symbol relates to the new feature or a 'real' p.m.. Is this notification really necessary? At this rate we will be on the same treadmill as my teenage son and daughter, who have to make sure they have conformed to messaging protocol before signing off.

However, the new spellchecker is very useful for rooting out typos, although it does seem to disagree with some of our terminology. The only down-side is the sad loss to the forum of the word ' definately' (sic)!

Colin

Edit: Ha! I see the new system does not auto-correct grammar, so still have to do that myself.

• RMweb Gold

Is there going to be a replacement on the mobile version or will it be too cluttered? the old tick was useful as I'll forget which posts need 'appreciating' by the time I get home!

Can we have a 'By, tha's mekin' a reet grand job o' that lad'... button?  :no:

Please switch off the RED CROSS button now.

I've just been voted off Britain's Got Talent, 6 Ultra-Hot Pizzas have arrived and Microsoft have offered me a job. :D

I know. Coat. Gone.

• RMweb Premium

Like many things on the internet, it's possible to ignore this, as much as it was possible to ignore the old 'Like' button. Nothing to get any knickers in a twist about as far as I can see.

Andy,

I really like the ideas behind the new system, I think it offers more than just a plain 'like' which may help users decide which parts of their contributions are well received and which may not be.

However as an 'iPad only' browser I have to say I'm struggling to use the new system. The buttons are slightly too close together to be classed as user friendly, and the lack of a 'hover' option means in 3 hours I will have forgotten what they all do!

Is there any way for the buttons to be modified slightly to become more tablet-friendly?

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I've just clicked on 'agree' to a post above; the symbols have now disappeared, which has some logic; but what if I both agreed and thought the post amusing? I'm now faced with the dilemma of not only deciding whether I agree or not, want to be friendly, or am frankly baffled but then have to work out which one would be my priority. I can foresee that there will be times when I would like to say that if I could understand the post I strongly suspect it would be cobblers. Could we have extra buttons to click that would allow us to select a combination of two, three or four messages.

• RMweb Gold

but what if I both agreed and thought the post amusing? I'm now faced with the dilemma of not only deciding whether I agree or not, want to be friendly, or am frankly baffled but then have to work out which one would be my priority. I can foresee that there will be times when I would like to say that if I could understand the post I strongly suspect it would be cobblers.

Hi Neil,

In such cases you can click the button labelled Reply.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I'm sure a lot of people will find them useful, and people that don't will ignore them.

Andy,

Is there any way for the buttons to be modified slightly to become more tablet-friendly?

Mark

Yup, possibly a bit more spacing between them would help there. If not I can always zoom in and out. I'm assuming the colour scheme is because they might be stock icons.

I'd use some (like, agree, etc) The only one for me that I don't like is the question mark. I don't think that it helps the conversation flow, and the poster of the questionable post won't know why he/she is being confusing. Other than that, they could be interesting.

Not over keen on the new system but I'm sure it'll blend in only...

1. Can't see who's clicked what

2. Unless theres something wrong with my browser, all the results congregate in an overprinted and unreadable mess on the left side of the display

3. You can only click one icon and thats that

4. A "thanks" button would be a good addition.

JF

For any of my posts, I used to be able to see who had liked it. I can still do that. However I also used to be able to see a list of which of my posts had been liked - I don't see a way to do that now. What am I missing?  

• RMweb Premium

I can understand the need for a more descriptive system than the Like/Dislike buttons, but I feel that with this new selection the need to post a written reply is being negated, as people can now just click the 'craftmanship' or 'informative' button rather than leave a proper considered response.  

Also, there is no option to multi-select, so a person's work may be 'liked' by a number of people, but if no-one clicks 'craftmanship' does that mean it isn't a worthy piece of modelling, or do those 'liking' it 'like' it for a different reason?!  This could ultimately prove confusing to the original poster, who then has to work out what percentage of people 'liked' the item generally and for what reason, or considered it worthy of being classed as 'craftmanship' or thought the post was 'informative'...obviously the feedback we get does affect the offerings we make on our threads, so I feel it's important we have clarity on these things...

Last thing; one of my own posts which was generously labelled as 'Popular' due to having 6 'likes' is now missing it's star but is given a tiny like icon in the bottom corner with a link to a hidden list - is popularity given at a higher level now, or have we done away with recognising 'Popular' postings...?!

David

In such cases you can click the button labelled Reply.

But doesn't that simply defeat the purpose, add clutter and assume that you have something worth adding to the conversation?

I quite often click "Like" in topics out of appreciation of the poster's post relevant to the topic subject matter - acknowledgement of the effort of say adding research or opinion. That might also include craftmanship, be informative, and include an opinion I agree with.

But if I click "Reply" and say so exactly what am I adding to the topic? Just another post to dilute the content. Take DaveF's topic containing his Dad's photos. For me very nostalgic having lived in Nottingham and so informative. I express my "thanks" by clicking the old "Like" not only appreciating all the effort to put up the topic but the informative nature of the topic as it generates other information. If I were to add a reply, doesn't that just clutter a fine topic with ME2 posts? It is even more complex when choosing a button where there is real modelling skill in addition to being informative and particularly being worthy of "liking" or "agreeing".

Archived