Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Jaz

Have a look outside your bungalow. the barge board, think your house has them, is the board the gutter brackets are attached to. Not all houses have them though. Mine hasn't it just has corbelled brick work with gutter brackets that are built into the brick work itself.

Marcus.

I thought we had soffits.....but we have uprights and horizontals....shall google them later....

Get a larger size of half round :D

Seriously though, with care. Care, a sharp scalpel and two rulers. Butt the half-round up against one ruler and hold the other one tightly on top, before lightly scoring along the length, over and over again. You can pack it out with bits of microstrip if it sits too close to the wall (e.g. the slates overhang it).

As for individual plastikard slates, it's a recipe for warping in my opinion, and more hassle than it is worth. Use 150gsm card, which will stick to Plastikard with Mek (or Roket card glue - I've tried it and it works). 150gsm card also has the advantage that you can print off a grid / strips, and they have very little relief to them which is a good thing unless you want to depict a roof that has been tiled with stone (e.g. not slate)

thank you, I don't have card, but i will investigate....I can see how the plastic might warp when card does not.....so a valid point,,,,,to a void remedial work later....and thanks for the how to cut the round.....i will investigate....

I also noticed that on the bottom right main window there is 'stuff' in the window....

med_gallery_17883_3113_209171.jpgrmweb3231policehouse63

some plasticard and I tried scissors...ad cut right thru!!!!! :O .....another piece of plasticard and a file........

and some miscellaneous paint....

• Like 3

Actually just thought I've got it slightly wrong.

They are as follows:

Barge boards are the vertical boards on the gable ends which sit up underneath the overlapping tiles.

Fascia board is the vertical board the guttering is fixed to.

Soffit board is fixed to the bottom of the rafters which sits at right angles to the fascia board.

You can also have a soffit board on the gables at right angles to the barge board. This is usually if there is an external rafter where the roof extends beyond the edge of the building.

Marcus

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I love the road in Wellesby with the Victorian houses next to the 1930's one, including the back gardens.  I am not sure I have seen anything quite like that.

The Police house.  I am glad that you did not hide the bottom of the downpipe that was not there behind a hedge as you would have to paint a large damp patch on the wall.  :jester:

More importantly they probably go down into open drains, you know the type with a wall n three sides and a grate over it, notone that disappears underground.

The house does not appear to have facia boards or large sofits.  the roof finishes very close to the edge of the wall.  I first noticed something similar but even tighter to the wall I think in north Cambridgeshire near Ely, probably round the corner into Lincolnshire as well.  Very different from our extension where the sofits are at least a foot wide as the roof overhangs quite a bit.

The three portion toplight looks good.  I am sure I have seen those before with the middle one opening,  no that is not a suggestion I am not that cruel.

Edit:  The front door appears to be panelled which is why there is a darker portion.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz,

To save you trawling back through my thread, I used the following for guttering and downpipes:

post-17302-0-89191400-1413930197.jpg

post-17302-0-36935600-1413930199.jpg

2.0mm round rod for the downpipes, and 2.5mm half round for the gutters.

I used the half-round as it was, unlike Jason who quarters his:

post-17302-0-43605300-1413930201_thumb.jpg

Although I'm not sure you need it, going by the pictures, to get the "S" bend at the top of the downpipe, I cut a very short piece of the rod off square, and then a longer piece at a 45degree angle. Then I glued the short straight piece between the two 45degree faces, like so:

post-17302-0-18614600-1413930210_thumb.jpg

Then file off the overhanging bits to leave a smooth joint:

post-17302-0-41000800-1413930449_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps,

Al.

• Like 6

Hi Jaz,

To save you trawling back through my thread, I used the following for guttering and downpipes:

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0021.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0022.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0026.jpg

Although I'm not sure you need it, going by the pictures, to get the "S" bend at the top of the downpipe, I cut a very short piece of the rod off square, and then a longer piece at a 45degree angle. Then I glued the short straight piece between the two 45degree faces, like so:

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0027.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0030.jpg

Hope this helps,

Al.

Thanks so much Al

That's wonderful, although I need to source the product, so there will be a delay......oh joy...I can take a break....although the side and back walls need being scribed.........shuffles off.......muttering........

walls first........roof after....after.....after.......

.....ooooo.......may go look at Goathland......

• Like 4

Another from the Peterborough show 2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_128936.jpgrmweb3232pterboro35

it might be hard to see but look near the train for something else moving....full screen will help....

med_gallery_17883_3195_212354.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_205924.jpg

and more ....

med_gallery_17883_3195_278131.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_306428.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_29268.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_260876.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

An meantime to stave off boredom.....I painted a figure.....

the basic colours

med_gallery_17883_3112_304394.jpgrmweb3329figure1

med_gallery_17883_3112_518313.jpg

adding some gray and mixing whilst wet

med_gallery_17883_3112_308652.jpg

some citadel weather liquids...e.g. plain brown to hair and nun oil over it the weather falls into the hair and looks much more realistic

I decided to add the shadow....which later was a pain because most of my shadows fall the other way!!!! DOH! 

med_gallery_17883_3112_349371.jpg

but basically black low lights one side, white high lights the other

\med_gallery_17883_3112_52226.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3112_256925.jpg

brown leather shoes brown leather belt, brown leather buttons on waistcoat, blue jeans, blue wool waistcoat, blue cotton shirt.blue cloth hat.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Hi Jaz,

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0021.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0022.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0026.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0027.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods-shed0030.jpg

Hope this helps,

Al.

I must remember that for in the near future

• Like 2