Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

No considering Hippopotamus supposedly translate as water horse, they are known for their fierce tempers.....still they don't always get to throw there own weight around!!

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=elephant+hippopotamus&oq=elephant+hippopotamus&gs_l=hp.3..0j0i22i30l7.1956.7333.0.7699.22.18.0.4.4.0.196.1553.16j2.18.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.hp..1.21.1364.0.P60alxHze3U#

hippo-verse-elephant.jpgafricageographic.com

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

Superb job on the animals Jaz. Keeps reminding me of the Severn Valley at Foley park where the line goes past the West Midlands safari Park. You really do see Giraffe outside the train window, and elephants as well unless that's result of too much ale HaHaHa.

How long until we some crocodiles swimming around in the river!!

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 5

Superb job on the animals Jaz. Keeps reminding me of the Severn Valley at Foley park where the line goes past the West Midlands safari Park. You really do see Giraffe outside the train window, and elephants as well unless that's result of too much ale HaHaHa.

How long until we some crocodiles swimming around in the river!!

Cheers

Marcus.

A friend of my dads lived in a big posh house by Windsor Safari Park,he is the source of many funny stories.

1. He was sat down drinking a beer after a good sunday lunch and copious amounts of wine, watching the footie.....

when in his garden he saw a wallaby bound past.....He looked at the floor where there was now 3 cans piled up, plus the one in his hand, and thought he must have been dozing off.

Then the wallaby bounded back.....and he thought....I am awake aren't I?

Then he bounded past his french windows again followed by two keepers.......

at this point he thought.....okay they are tramping around the garden...I am awake.....

....so which is more fun to watch a wallaby evading two or more keepers or the footie......then his team scored.....he pointedly ignored the blur outside and concentrated on his team who were winning.....for once...........

• Like 4

A friend of my dads lived in a big posh house by Windsor Safari Park,he is the source of many funny stories.

1. He was sat down drinking a beer after a good sunday lunch and copious amounts of wine, watching the footie.....

when in his garden he saw a wallaby bound past.....He looked at the floor where there was now 3 cans piled up, plus the one in his hand, and thought he must have been dozing off.

Then the wallaby bounded back.....and he thought....I am awake aren't I?

Then he bounded past his french windows again followed by two keepers.......

at this point he thought.....okay they are tramping around the garden...I am awake.....

....so which is more fun to watch a wallaby evading two or more keepers or the footie......then his team scored.....he pointedly ignored the blur outside and concentrated on his team who were winning.....for once...........

Hmmm........................when in his garden he saw a wallaby bound past..........

2. there was also the occasion when he/dudley had not long moved in, and the 'housing committee' chairman (self appointed???)of the estate turned up at his front door to introduce himself, and whilst there pointed out that he had noticed they had a whirly gig washing line outside.....he pointed out that they were NOT de rigour and frowned upon by the people on this exclusive private estate.....Dudley at this point politely asked the chairman, "Do you have a mortgage?" (most properties were well over a million plus), "Of course" replied the chairman.  

Dudley paused, then said, "Well I don't......so I think I can decide for myself what we want in our garden" and politely showed him the door. Apparently he was NOT asked to stand for any of the positions in the housing committee. Nor included in their meetings. How sad......;p

And his wife who was momentarily shunned by the coffee morning committee, soon became a refuge point for those who didn't actually want to be in the coffee morning committee, and the non coffee committee was soon much larger in numbers than the actual coffee morning committee......hehe.......she was a lovely down to earth woman.....which could lead me onto another story........

• Like 5

I have plenty more animals to paint, and more animal stories, but for those who prefer there to be 

planes trains and automobiles.....

med_gallery_17883_3527_73397.jpg3902

these are a bit plasticky and somewhat lame.....BUT I have a cunning plan.....

med_gallery_17883_3527_324155.jpgrmweb3903gigures

med_gallery_17883_3527_145211.jpg3904

med_gallery_17883_3527_165882.jpg3905

• Like 8

med_gallery_17883_3527_190423.jpg3906

you can easily see where i painted the yellow

med_gallery_17883_3527_57327.jpg3907

look carefully and see where i painted some red

and some subtle mud colouring

med_gallery_17883_3527_287763.jpg3908

the tyres are no longer black and shiny, nor are the mud flaps and underneath,

the difference is somewhat subtle in the picture

med_gallery_17883_3527_106387.jpg3909

I only painted the plastic NOT the metal parts except with a light wash of 'mud' near the bottom.

• Like 10

I'm always late in arriving at your parties....

But the bottom right corner of the Peak District also used to be noted for its wild wallabies.

I used to spot them on the Cat and Fiddle moors - apparently they escaped from the silk banker Brocklehurst's estate near Congleton/Leek. Once I was out climbing/walking in the Roaches with a rather posh friend who was training to be a priest when he suddenly took off shouting "C***** there's an EFFING yak chasing us!" I'm always slow on the uptake and didn't react - luckily it tore past me and shot off after the would-be priest.

We learnt afterwards that there had been two, but it's mate had met its end head-butting a red post office van down into the clough. Apparently Brocklehurst collected all manner of exotics but didn't much bother with fences.

dh

• Like 3

I'm always late in arriving at your parties....

But the bottom right corner of the Peak District also used to be noted for its wild wallabies.

I used to spot them on the Cat and Fiddle moors - apparently they escaped from the silk banker Brocklehurst's estate near Congleton/Leek. Once I was out climbing/walking in the Roaches with a rather posh friend who was training to be a priest when he suddenly took off shouting "C***** there's an EFFING yak chasing us!" I'm always slow on the uptake and didn't react - luckily it tore past me and shot off after the would-be priest.

We learnt afterwards that there had been two, but it's mate had met its end head-butting a red post office van down into the clough. Apparently Brocklehurst collected all manner of exotics but didn't much bother with fences.

dh

I laughed so hard....I had to consider a trip to the loo..............

• RMweb Premium

Hoorrah!!! we have internet speed again up here in the back of beyond! It runs out at the beginning of every month due to streaming Netflix on the Wii!

So perfect opportunity to do a spot of catching up on here and wonderful refreshing stuff it is as always!

Just in reference to the figure manipulation. The soft plastic used to make Airfix soldiers etc. does not take to glue very well. I've tried many kinds of adhesives over the years to no avail. When swapping heads I drill two small holes, one in the neck and the other up into the skull then super-glue in a short brass wire insert!
However the Dapol figures can be glued with most varieties of styrene cement.

Those zoo/circus animals have become rather rare and can be seen to sell for silly money on eBay probably due to the introduction of 1/76 scale circus vehicles!
for-sale-on-eBay

Sasquatch has been known to borrow one of the chimps to pose as himself on the other Goathand in the past, beware he's not lurking somewhere on your layout. Oh that's right he is!!

Edit: After reading through to say that Aussie red blended plonk and Oregon stile Czech pilsner mix quite well. (spent a pleasant  day in town ;-)

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

Hoorrah!!! we have internet speed again up here in the back of beyond! It runs out at the beginning of every month due to streaming Netflix on the Wii!

So perfect opportunity to do a spot of catching up on here and wonderful refreshing stuff it is as always!

Just in reference to the figure manipulation. The soft plastic used to make Airfix soldiers etc. does not take to glue very well. I've tried many kinds of adhesives over the years to no avail. When swapping heads I drill two small holes, one in the neck and the other up into the skull then super-glue in a short brass wire insert!

However the Dapol figures can be glued with most varieties of styrene cement.

Those zoo/circus animals have become rather rare and can be seen to sell for silly money on eBay probably due to the introduction of 1/76 scale circus vehicles!

for-sale-on-eBay

Sasquatch has been known to borrow one of the chimps to pose as himself on the other Goathand in the past, beware he's not lurking somewhere on your layout. Oh that's right he is!!

Edit: After reading through to say that Aussie red blended plonk and Oregon stile Czech pilsner mix quite well. (spent a pleasant  day in town ;-)

we do not have a box, BUT there is some of the green fencing and a few farm animals around some where in a felt bag.

Am I wrecking them by painting them???

I do have some old 80s paint....but the animals would look really naff.

Our family are serious pack rats, nothing gets left behind if we think about it.I have three Pelham puppets in their boxes from when I was a child, only the rubber bands are no good. The mummy dragon, baby dragon ad the frog in clothes are all good. The plastic is somewhat loose on one box, the other two don't have plastic windows. We have plastic dolls from when I was  a child. I never did Barbie or Sindy which can be quite valuable. I have a couple of china dolls made after the Henry VII series came out. and we have a bunch of records. My brother has good condition Beatles, 2 are rarely rare.My grandfather was a bin man, not called that in those days and he found all sorts of stuff thrown out from a coup of large houses near where he lived and worked. My aunt has a fine bronze chariot and horses with just one broken rein. I have a nice marble and slate mantle  French clock from the 1890s (not valuable according to the clock maker, because they are out of vogue, but he said look after it and in another 20-50s you never know, its only like 300£ at the moment) I have a large set of Planet of the Apes magazines, not particularly valuable being UK produced. BUT my brother has a massive collection of Superman with single digit number copies. A couple have sold for silly money. My mum taught us to look after our stuff. My brother also has an extensive set of American army vehicles and metal boats mostly sent or bought back by an aunt. They go in and out of fashion, ten or twenty years ago (when old cars were worth a mint...big cars like E types) those boats were a nice collection but the bottom fell out and the price sank (yeah yeah too many Puns) 

I collcted Beanie Babies, for the workers when I was in London, and the two newsagents I bought from used to let me have the rare ones as I bought literally hundreds for myself and others. Two of the rare Princess went across to an American Colleague, she kept one (I told her she could) and put the other up for auction for charity she made a couple of thousand bucks. She also had a rare blue elephant from early on, but had played with it as a child, and its value was diminished as there was no tag and it was obviously used. BUT it was her pride and joy. A good one went for over £5000. 

My grandmother remarried and her husband throw out everything he could to do with my grandfather.....included about 12 clock work trains, by the time my mum found out they and family pictures had been put out in an old tin hut......both had succumbed to the wet and were not worth saving. The trains had been in boxes as well!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 3

My grandmother remarried and her husband throw out everything he could to do with my grandfather.....included about 12 clock work trains, by the time my mum found out they and family pictures had been put out in an old tin hut......both had succumbed to the wet and were not worth saving. The trains had been in boxes as well!!!!!!!!!! 

Hell's teeth!  :O

It was my mum who was the zealot in our family. As a result my sister and I have no past, except in our heads.

I came back from my first term at college to find my room had been cleaned out and my S/H 0 gauge Hornby electric LMS compound and later new Trix twin (but with only one 0-4-0 black LMS tank) all gone.

Later, when I returned from working abroad, all my College and after portfolios had likewise all gone.

My sister enjoys recalling how all my mum had really wanted was a litter of black Labradors. Not surprising my psychotherapist wife likes dining out on all this stuff :-(

dh

I went upstairs to work on the Christmas scene, I removed the shops at the back and popped up the train buildings.....but it was cold......

so ....I took some quick snaps around the place and retreated......

This one has had a tree added....

med_gallery_17883_3493_15053.jpg3912xmas2014

now remembering, all the buildings are plonked on the surface

...and the 'snow' is hiding this......

what could look better?

making the tree trunk look less stick like....I only just pushed it in further to have the branches hide it....how the trunk appears thicker is quite beyond me.....but I am smug anyway

med_gallery_17883_3493_42002.jpg3913xmas

static perhaps???

edit= there WAS a piece of 'snow' clinging to the roof in the first picture which looks like a small icicle or a water droplet........

Those fences will ned to be weathered at some stage too, luckily they do catch the light nicely.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

I added some over on the bare back yard area

med_gallery_17883_3493_735724.jpg3914X

I bough the brick walls and repainted them some time ago...Jarvis I think. I mean to file the slope so they sit better....some day I'll remember to actually do it.

• Like 6

I mentioned planes...no planes so far.....

trains....no trains so far.....

and automobiles......well you had a glimpse.....

but thats very ist,,,,,,,travelist?

'cos I had a look at boats.....

well this one is a yacht.....

med_gallery_17883_2806_152783.jpg39163916

BUT this one is indeed a boat...

.med_gallery_17883_2806_199289.jpg3917

The blur from the sun gives a lovely haze

so good I took a couple of pictures to make sure at least one was really cool....

med_gallery_17883_2806_73827.jpg3918

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 13