North Haston

I'm not sure I can make all those name boards....

Location update

North Haston will be in the State of Florida for the NMRA convention at the end of this month

then it may well be over to California for Warley in November

back to New England for ModelRail Scotland in Feb

And finally a visit it to Wisconsin for Derby

This is all subject to change

• Like 2

Haston Coca?

Small NG line in Colombia collecting leaves. Heavily armed security men. Small factory with chemical deliveries. Airstrip. Ideal for On30...

Best, Pete.

...and plenty of pink elephants floating about, presumably  :imsohappy:  

Edited by Steve Williams

That's terrible!!! :rolleyes: :D

Love the CF7s... I take it "motored" means the Athearn motor has been replaced?

Yes Jordan, I carried out the re-motor work as previously posted on this very forum using Kato motors, trucks and drive parts from Kato/Stewart F units.  Really pleased with how they turned out and didn't really want to give them back. :senile:  I think Chris is rather pleased with them too.  Re-motoring them also gave me some inspiration to continue building my latest layout based on MRL's maintenance facility in Missoula Mt, which also includes the turntable.

Jez 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The extension look interesting - will North Haston be a true through layout now? I always thought the original had potential where that spur goes behind the silos to make a through running design.

I'm not sure yet, remember it still has to fit in the back of the car. I may add a small fiddle yard the the right hand side over the winter but

I've eight booking for the layout next year and asking for another 3-4 feet may upset the hardworking exhibition managers

The idea of the extension came about after I realised the loco was spending more time off the layout

For the time being I will use this section as open staging, if I get it looking presentable (not finished as I'm busy over the next 10 days) I will use it at Warley.

• Like 1

The extension looks interesting and I'm sure will enhance an already excellent layout. After watching the 2 videos of North Haston, I also noticed that the loco seemed to spend a lot of time out of view.

I can appreciate that for a UK exhibition layout it is traditional to have hidden staging, however I wonder if it's time for more exhibition layouts, particularly small switching layouts, to feature open staging. 

For my small home based layouts I now prefer open staging. 

Mal

Edited by Alcanman

I can appreciate that for a UK exhibition layout it is traditional to have hidden staging, however I wonder if it's time for more exhibition layouts, particularly small switching layouts, to feature open staging. 

From my observations at a recent Show, I'd say they already do... it's just that they're not scenicked, & are still "supposed" to be hidden sidings; they just aren't hidden these days!!!

No matter how much you try to keep them hidden, the punters always look over the top of the back scene or peep round the ends!

If you don't try to hide them you might just spoil the fun for some people!

Dave

I'm not sure yet, remember it still has to fit in the back of the car. I may add a small fiddle yard the the right hand side over the winter but

I've eight booking for the layout next year and asking for another 3-4 feet may upset the hardworking exhibition managers

The idea of the extension came about after I realised the loco was spending more time off the layout

For the time being I will use this section as open staging, if I get it looking presentable (not finished as I'm busy over the next 10 days) I will use it at Warley.

I'll be watching this with interest- after the December MR thread and the comment from Martyn about building a layout to fit the space you have available today, instead of a large sectional layout that could only be used at shows or a US style "Plywood Central" that never reaches completion, my thoughts turned to my often dreamt about but never committed to paper Cuban layout. I did think about using the Car-hole as a layout room, which was fine in summer but not particuarly inviting at this time of year, so the future project will have to fit the space currently occupied by Wiley City, which has a 6' scenic section and a short fiddle yard, which is swapped for a longer one at shows.

But reading Chris' comments, I realised I'm in danger of doing a "North Haston", and having the switch loco disappearing off the layout at frequent intervals. I did plan to have a ~4'6" scenic section with a yard long traverser, and also an extra yard of the other side of the layout for shows when more space is available. I'd also struggle to fit in suitable scenic breaks as overbridges and large buildings wouldn't be suitable and would distract from the big sky that seems so prevalent in photos. I'm not sure how the open staging would work as I'd still want a fully working layout instead of one that would be compromised at home and would only reach it's potential at the shows that I don't have the time or enough operators to help with...

• Like 1