North Haston

As work progresses at North Haston I thought I'd share my thoughts on how the layout would now operate at shows.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Originally I had planned to just scenicing the staging area but after closer studying I thought I could add some interesting operation to the layout, if i added fiddle yards to either end of the scenic section

I've decided that North Haston, which has moved back up to the New England area, as it allows a larger variation of railroads, is now an interchange between a regional railroad/shortline and a Class one/regional railroad company. 

I'm not setting which is which in stone, so one day I can operate with ,say, the CSX interchanging with the Guilford,and the next day I could operate the Guilford interchanging with the Vermont Railroad.

Using the track plan below I will try and explain how it will operate.

attachicon.gifNorth Haston G.jpg

1. The class one/regional railroad comes in from the left on track one and pulls all the way to the right (3), once it's cleared the turnout the train backs up along the rear track (2) and uncouples just passed the grade crossing. Once uncoupled the mainline loco pulls forward under the highway bridge, the road is change, it then backs up and stands on the front track (1) clear of the crossing.
  2. Next the regional railroad/shortline train arrives from the right, the loco uncouples from its train just in front of the warehouse and heads off to couple up the the inbound train standing on the rear left hand track (2).
  3. The class one/regional railroad loco then starts up and couples to the outbound train and exits stage left.
  4. The regional railroad/shortline train then pulls back in, carries out any switching that is required then departs right to service the rest of the line.
  5. Once all this has happen an officers train, a Sperry Rail Car or even a light engine lash up might appear and then we start all over again.

Hope this makes sense... 

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

NS ex-Conrail Dash 8-40CW stands at Noth Haston

Chris. The extension looks great. What material did you use for the basic sand coloured ground cover in the first pic?

Mal

Edited by Alcanman

It amazes me how quickly you can put together the most beautiful of layouts, Chris. Fantastic work, as always.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, my memory is terrible, but what is the triangular thing on the while pole? Is it a radio mast for inter-train communication?

It amazes me how quickly you can put together the most beautiful of layouts, Chris. Fantastic work, as always.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, my memory is terrible, but what is the triangular thing on the while pole? Is it a radio mast for inter-train communication?

Thanks Dan

Its a Cell Phone Antenna Tower Kit by BLMA Cell 

http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?ud=AAgFBQwMDwwCBxQUEBEcHA4BBA8BBgIECQkTEQAA&t=main.blue.htm&storeid=1&cols=1&categories=01001-00011&&c=detail.blue.htm&t=main.blue.htm&itemid=4100

Hi Chris,

You must have be stalking my buying pattern for the last year or so...

Now you have a P&W unit as well!

Which model/manufacturer though - Intermountain U18B I reckon!

Thanks

Hi Phil

Its an Atlas Dash 8-40B with a Tsunami sound decoder

I do have a P&W Intermountain U18B but its not sound fitted yet

thanks

Chris,

Are you going the same route as before for DCC wiring? All track Insulfrogs, no insulating joiners, droppers wired to every "fishplate"?

I'm thinking of giving it a go for ease of set up....

Btw can someone remind me who makes a Code 83 to Code 70 joiner? I know it is one of the US firms but I can't remember which....

Best, Pete.

Yes Pete

Same way as before.

I can't seem to get into the same flow on this side as I did on the other side.

I think it's because of the cool damp weather and the fact it takes ages for the glue to dry.

I even had to go out shopping this afternoon while I waited for it to set. Now I've lost the will to live

Hi Chris,

I do have an Intermountain U18B as well and it's sound fitted :sungum:

Something else to put in the pile to take to the show!

Thanks

Phil

This is what I have ready for Glasgow

Guilford HH GP40

Guilford HH GP40

Guilford GP40-2W

Guilford SD26

CSX 8-40C

CSX 8-40CW

NS 8-40CW ex Conrail

CSOR 8-40B

P&W 8-40B

CSX 8-40B ex NYS&W

Cool, looks like a whole lot of operating potential to learn. Given that I sometimes struggle with Old Haston do you think my brain will cope? Need to confirm what day(s) I'm available but should be good fun.

Oh and Trisonic, there's direct flights from Newark to Edinburgh I think, about ten minutes from me if you need a lift!

Jon, I may go that route on vacation en famile in  2015. I have family in both Dunfermline and Glasgow then come back via the LCY service to JFK.

Best, Pete.

Pete - here's a pic to remind you of Glasgow in the 1980s.

post-7898-0-82623400-1390132020_thumb.jpg

Chris - North Haston is looking great and giving me a few ideas for a new layout for 2014.

Mal

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work there Chris. Is that uncoupling magnet going to be hidden a bit more?

Supaned

I think I'll have to live with the magent because most of its finished now

The groundwork looks good, Chris.  

What make of grass mats/tufts did you use? The brown earth looks good too, how did you get the rough finish?

Mal

Mal

The grass and tufts are from the Heki range as are the trees I've planted today

The earth is Steve's ash but this time it's a lot browner

The glue is drying at the moment so I'll post some photos later

This was taken earlier today